Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Screenshots of your PSX sim ?

Page: < 1 2 3 4 > »

Author Post
Will wrote
Has that day come yet?

Yes it has, if you run Prepar3D 2.4 on it.
Just that; run PSX at another PC.

Nico
Hi kiek and Will!

Maybe you could give a try a to X-Plane, for visuals? It's not perfect either, and also encounters some framerate drops when close to overcast clouds, but... you may try it for free, as a demo exists! (limited to 7 or 10 minutes, and Seattle area). And if you purchase, simply putting the CD, or a special USB key, will unlock your demo, so no need to reinstall anything, only adding the 60Gb world elevation data and scenery to get all done.
Hope it helps,
« Last edit by brian747 on Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:29:53 +0000. »
Nico, Pierre, and Brian, thanks for the info.
Brian:

Despite a new install of P3D 2.4 and X-Plane, I am inclined to agree with you ATM. There is nothing YET, that has replaced FSX for me.... Like you I am hopeful....

C
<grin> We wouldn't be simmers if we weren't hopeful, I suppose.

But then, looking back to v1 of the "Microsoft" (it was actually Bruce Artwick's) flight simulator, we have seen an unbelievable improvement over the years. However, being human, then of course, we still want more.... 8)

Cheers,

Brian
Aye-

I remember the "squares", river and "mountains" on my Apple IIc... we have come a LOOOOOOONG way since ;)

What I am also liking ATM is Hardy's absence. I have seldom seen his sort of single-minded dedication and purpose- and my fervent hope is that this means he is finally taking some time to rest and recharge.

Can you imagine his enthusiasm when he returns? :)

C
Ah, another Apple ][ man! 8)

I had what might have been the first original ][ in the country, flown in from the U.S. by a friend of mine, which was powered by a 110 volt transformer that I rigged up in a biscuit tin. (There no disk drives at that early stage, of course). How people laughed when I immediately started to write business software on it! :mrgreen:

But I, too, hope that Hardy is chilling out somewhere. Although we miss him on the forum, he deserves a great R&R. :D

The idea that he could be even more motivated on his return is indeed one to conjure with.... :shock:

Cheers,

Brian
My PSX sim.. just "basic 2 screen setup"..

User posted image

Higher res :
http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/20141125_113308.jpg

Jan
Mine's another 2 computer, 2 screen setup, with a few extras.

User posted image

I keep fiddling with the layouts, and keep going back to this. On my monitor- the PFD and ND are actually about 12' x 12", which aids manual flight considerably, given the lack of other sensory cues.

Higher resolution:
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg491/cavaricooper/IMG_7872_zps870a5dc4.jpg

C
Here's my test setup. Visual system is still coming, and the overhead panels will be mounted overhead at some point. 6 x 23" LG touchscreens, driven by 3 Mac minis.

Audio and control column/pedal also still need installed. The lower crt/dual fms display is 1:1 scale.

http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/image.jpg
Very nice. Great setup.

How is the behaviour of the selectors, switches, knobs... on a touch screen? Are they easy to manipulate, especially for the MCP and CDU?
As long as the buttons are big enough the touch screen works very well, particularly so for CDU. But most importantly I find it very relevant that my setup reflects the actual location of the controls. Should you ever find yourself in the real deal, you won't be stuck looking for where things are. :)

The one thing I'll probably invest in is a TQ though, if I can find a servoed one.

Cheers

Balt
Balt wrote
Here's my test setup. Visual system is still coming, and the overhead panels will be mounted overhead at some point. 6 x 23" LG touchscreens, driven by 3 Mac minis.

Audio and control column/pedal also still need installed. The lower crt/dual fms display is 1:1 scale.

http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/image.jpg

Looks great Balt! Which LCD are you using for the pedestal - it looks like an ultra wide lcd?

Regards.
They're all identical, 23" LG IPS screens. On sale at Costco here in sydney for $299 each. Well, that was before I bought the last 6. They're viewable from a very wide range of angles, that helps as well.

OS X has this really nifty feature that lets you rotate individual screens even in a multi monitor setup, and arrange them in whatever orientation to each other.

Cheers

- Balt
Balt wrote
As long as the buttons are big enough the touch screen works very well, particularly so for CDU. But most importantly I find it very relevant that my setup reflects the actual location of the controls. Should you ever find yourself in the real deal, you won't be stuck looking for where things are. :)

The one thing I'll probably invest in is a TQ though, if I can find a servoed one.

Cheers

Balt

Looks perfect! Thanks for the feedback.
Here is my quick setup -- 2x LCD on the front, and one on the right for the OVH. Ipad runs the CDU.

Projector is a BenQ w1080st

User posted image

User posted image

Decided to give XP10 another go, *WOW*.

Didn't know all these great 3rd party software exists (and for free)

Now using Real Terra Haze + HD Mesh 3 + World2XPlane

The shot above was just after I landed into Melbourne airport (the free addon by ISDG).

Wow, the dynamic lighting is fantastic.

With HD Mesh 3 & Real Terra Haze, daytime looks fantastic too.

I think its almost time to get rid of FSX/P3D :mrgreen:
Hi guys,

here are 2 pictures of my PSX simulator setup. I have decided to use PSX more or less as a pure IFR simulator with no visuals of FSX or X-Plane.

However, I'm running FSX in the background but with very low settings - with this setup I'm able to use Avliasoft EFB on a networked PC. Using this way I get a very useful moving map display with highly accurate taxiways and parking positions. ;)

Hardware is nothing special: Saitek Yoke and Throttle and CH Pedals. A cheap and flexible lamp from a Swedish manufacturer attached to the book shelf serves as map light. :D :mrgreen:

User posted image

User posted image

In my opinion, having the visuals of FSX on a second monitor can be quite distracting, especially during the most important phases of the flight. That's why I decided to use PSX mainly as a standalone simulator.

Depending on my mood and route I want to fly, I can choose between both worlds. At weekdays I usually use FSX with PMDG-737 or MD11 for short or medium routes, and at the weekend I switch to PSX for a typical 747-400 route. :)

By the way: is there any possibility to generate a NMEA output from PSX which can be linked to a COM-Port for a GPS moving map?

All the best,
Dirk
If you are using x-plane, it can generate a NEMA output.

That will drive a moving map display such as topogps, or Jeppesen.

(Look in the x-plane settings menu, then joystick and equipment, then equipment).

In my sim I have monitors to the left and right of the main cockpit displays, sort of like the big airbus, fot those moving map programs

i
« Last edit by 400guy on Sun, 01 Mar 2015 04:26:02 +0000. »
Dirk Schepmann wrote
Hi guys,

here are 2 pictures of my PSX simulator setup. I have decided to use PSX more or less as a pure IFR simulator with no visuals of FSX or X-Plane.

Dirk

I started using PSX with XP10 for the visuals, and a couple of months ago bought FSX:SE to use it instead, I decided to move back to pure PSX. The smoothness is important, and in my system both piggyback sims are heavy enough to cause me so nasty FPS deeps, so, back to ** pure ** PSX.

But I would like to have some sort of "EFB" allowing me to get the aircraft position overlaid on airport diagrams, to allow me to taxi from and to the gates. Do you know of any solution not requiring FSX or XP10 to be loaded?
Hi Dirk.

Dirk Schepmann wrote
I have decided to use PSX more or less as a pure IFR simulator with no visuals of FSX or X-Plane.

Do you zoom the PFD in to real-size then? :-)

NMEA output from PSX with John's AdaptPSX:
http://aerowinx.com/html/addons.html

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Hardy,

I expected that question. ;)

yes, on approach and takeoff I switch to a panel in which the PFD and ND is almost identical to real size (19 x 19 cm instead of 20.32 cm):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk1rhia29g0xtqc/Screenshot%202015-03-01%2015.13.09.png?dl=0

Basically, the only problem for me are the brakes... I'm not happy with the calibration of my CH pedals and the use of the spacebar is quite tricky - feels like driving a car for the first time... 14 kts... spacebar... bang... almost full stop. :P

I have now programmed a small wheel on my joystick which works reasonable good.
Hi All,

Here's a link to mine which is basically 2 monitors (stacked vertically).

The lower monitor displays one instance of PSX & I use around 5 layouts.

The upper monitor either shows PSX visuals in a full PSX window or X-Plane with a partial PSX window. Again around 5 layouts are used.

And yes, you will note big PFD on the landing layout :) (lower monitor)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByHqlvAm35geVXJUWGxzaFllYjA&usp=sharing

Of course I do pan around from time to time - these are my core views which support the majority of my PSX flight deck activities.

Thanks

Carl

Edit: Just to add I use a Saitek yoke, rudders and throttle.
« Last edit by CarlBB on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:39:39 +0000. »

Page: < 1 2 3 4 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software