Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Screenshots of your PSX sim ?

Page: 1 2 3 4 > »

Author Post
Hi to all, what about posting screenshots of your home PSX sim ? How many monitors you use, layouts etc.. ? Maybe it can be good as inspiration for other pilots here, how to build or improve their own sim :-)?

Will post my own soon..

J.
Just to get started (and since I have posted them to another forum [to praise PSX ;) ] recently)... :) here is my Flight Deck.

One PSX + FSX machine (center), two low-cost machines for left and right panel and one latop + extra screen for center pedestal and lower EICAS.

This was basically my Word Flight 2014 setup.

(Large version: please click on the images).

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

Markus

p.s.
Wait ... there is one more from yesterday evening after some configuration editing:

User posted image

Guess the airport... :)
Very nice.. I am looking forward to run visualPSX when i have time to set it up, hoping there will be no problems with connecting psx and fsx for visual :-/..

J.
Hi Markus,
Would you give me the details of the size and make of the monitors you are using. That is a great set up you have created.
My home is on the market and we are moving into something more compact. I have disassembled my full size sim, and as it was not saleable it mostly went to the dump. I had the greatest pleasure building and using it and learnt a lot about programming, electronics and flying the Queen. So that is the end of one era and I will start again with a set up similar (if not the same) as yours. Well done.

Derek
Hi boys!

Here's a video of half my setup in action:
http://perso.numericable.com/pierre.theillere/EDDF-Sidestep.mp4
I'll try to make a more overall one soon... Enjoy!
1 PC running 4 instances of PSX on 6 touch monitors.
1 PC running P3D via projector.
All running very smoothly...

http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/IMG_2167.jpg

Brit
Awesome setup guys.

Wish I had the space!

Making do with my 21" iMac and occasionally a laptop and an iPad for the EICAS and FMC respectively.

Raj
Derek Adam wrote
Hi Markus,
Would you give me the details of the size and make of the monitors you are using. That is a great set up you have created.
My home is on the market and we are moving into something more compact. I have disassembled my full size sim, and as it was not saleable it mostly went to the dump. I had the greatest pleasure building and using it and learnt a lot about programming, electronics and flying the Queen. So that is the end of one era and I will start again with a set up similar (if not the same) as yours. Well done.

Derek

Hi Derek, that is unfortunate. Do you have any parts still on sale? I may be interested. Regards,

Ben
Britjet wrote

Brit

That looks awesome. What touch LCDs are you using, and how did you construct your overhead? Regards.
Hi OmniAtlas

The monitors are 27" ACER touch screens ( the ones with the clear plastic base and strange metal hinge stand - I just removed all of it ( easy job) and stuck them on VESA amounts, but they are a bit delicate, prone to breakage, as my insurance company knows(!) and it may be that there are sturdier ones out there. I found that a 23-inch was a little too big for the FMC panel, but workable, and the centre of the forward panel is a 27" in portrait mode, which ties in best with the items on the PSX panel so that they don't overlap monitors.The ACERS work perfectly on WIN8, although I did have a few pointer problems using a WIN7 machine and eventually changed it, but the functionality with PSX was still pretty good, and I daresay a bit of computer perseverance would have fixed it.

The overhead is a triangular gantry affair made from timber. The monitor and the roof panel hang from it ( so far!).

It is still in the construction stage - the next step is a two-projector wrap-round setup.

Brit
they are a bit delicate, prone to breakage, as my insurance company knows(!) and it may be that there are sturdier ones out there.

The VESA mounts or the monitors? Your set up is exactly what I've been looking at building. How did you mount the pedestal monitors? Can you get some photos of how they're set up? Looking for ideas! :D
Britjet wrote
Hi OmniAtlas

The monitors are 27" ACER touch screens ( the ones with the clear plastic base and strange metal hinge stand - I just removed all of it ( easy job) and stuck them on VESA amounts, but they are a bit delicate, prone to breakage, as my insurance company knows(!) and it may be that there are sturdier ones out there. I found that a 23-inch was a little too big for the FMC panel, but workable, and the centre of the forward panel is a 27" in portrait mode, which ties in best with the items on the PSX panel so that they don't overlap monitors.The ACERS work perfectly on WIN8, although I did have a few pointer problems using a WIN7 machine and eventually changed it, but the functionality with PSX was still pretty good, and I daresay a bit of computer perseverance would have fixed it.

The overhead is a triangular gantry affair made from timber. The monitor and the roof panel hang from it ( so far!).

It is still in the construction stage - the next step is a two-projector wrap-round setup.

Brit

Thanks for sharing, please keep us updated when you setup your wrap around projectors! I am currently using a w1080p BenQ for visuals, and thinking of adding another one.
Hi Omni,

Glad you like it. The ACERS are very elegant and would look nice on a desktop, but a bit delicate for throwing around during mounting, I think - although that isn't how mine broke. One fell over into some others :-(
My handyman skills are about as good as my piloting skills, I'm afraid, but if you would like to email me I will send you some construction photos and maybe we can share ideas.

Brit
Britjet wrote

Brit

Nice set up guys! Britjet, I'm eventually trying to achieve something very similar to yours. Very nice to see it! The 27" Monitors look great. Are you using a HD Projector? If so, how do you find it at night? I'm considering using projectors too.

Excuse the mess guys! :mrgreen: This is the temporary setup I use in the hotels I travel to. I normally use the TV in the room for my visuals which means I only need to travel with my 4 laptops and flight controls. I always look for a room that has a TV with a desk underneath it ;) With my rotation, I end up spending 30 days in a hotel so it works for me.

- 4 Instances of PSX running on 4 Laptops
- P3d or sometimes Xplane running on a TV
- Ipad 2 running the FMC

User posted image

Jermaine.
Hi JiPilot,

Clever idea. I bet the housemaid loves you! :-) - don't you miss CNN???

Re the projectors - it is HD, (Optima 1080p) fine at night - haven't had any issues. Not bright, and you can vary the brightness anyway of course.

Cheers

Brit
Hello Derek,

thanks for your nice words, but sad to hear that you have had to disassemble your full size sim. :'(

As for my monitors... the two larger screens are 24'' screens. The lower one is a Samsung (windows say S24B350) not bad, but since I have recently bought the upper 24'' screen (for FSX) I like this upper screen much better: it's a BenQ GL2450HM.

All the other main monitors are 19'' monitors, mostly second hand. I once had a Fujitsu-Siemens P19-2, a really expensive one at the time, but now you can get it second hand here (e.g. Amazon) for about EUR 30,-. Two of 19'' screens are Fujitsu-Siemens A19-A2 and one P19-2. (4th one is from Sigma, don't know the model).

The center pedestal runs on a Sony Vaio laptop plus a ASUS VH168D monitor, a nice little 15.6'' screen (1366 x 768 px) for the lower EICAS.

Hope this helps,
Markus
I'm not posting a shot of my setup... it's too pedestrian. Just a 21.5" iMac.

Great to get inspiration from others, though!
Hey Brit,

Yea the TV never get's turned on except for simming... It's quite funny to see their reactions when they come to clean my room! Mind you, I never let them clean it when I'm not there... Don't want one of them starting up the sim and flying off somewhere lol... :mrgreen:

Britjet wrote
Hi JiPilot,

Clever idea. I bet the housemaid loves you! :-) - don't you miss CNN???

Re the projectors - it is HD, (Optima 1080p) fine at night - haven't had any issues. Not bright, and you can vary the brightness anyway of course.

Cheers

Brit

Jermaine.
Hi Jermaine,

that's the most impressive mobile hotel room setup I've ever seen! :-)

Congrats! :-)

|-|ardy
Thank you for your reply Marcus.Strangely it has not too much of a problem losing my sim because PSx has kept me busy, and I intend to remake a set up similar to yours.

OmniAtlas No, nothing was really saleable except two MCDU keypads which were run by the Hagstrom system. I am thinking of incorporating them in my PSx setup.

Cheers

Derek
I would like to integrate PSX into Magic Leap...when it is released, somehow...

http://gizmodo.com/how-magic-leap-is-secretly-creating-a-new-alternate-rea-1660441103
Hi kevmac86

The P3D machine has two GTX 780Ti,
Each has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 Display port, so some spare ports as I am only using 3 P3D displays from that, and trying to keep load to a minimum for frame rates.
The PSX machine has a GTX 770 and a GTX 970.
GTX 770 - 2 DVI, 1 Display port, 1 HDMI
GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 3 mini Display port, 1 mini HDMI
( 9 ports in all). I actually have one running Google as well.

Of course you will need some ACTIVE adapters to fit some of the monitors eg mini-display port to HDMI) unless you are lucky enough to have monitors which can plug direct as required.

Cheers

Brit
Brian, I quit Microsoft with FS9. I never upgraded to FSX because it seemed like everyone was spending all their time tweaking, optimizing, and -- sadly -- complaining. I decided that I'd wait to try FSX until the day comes when an off-the-shelf computer can run it without tweaking and fiddling. Has that day come yet?

Page: 1 2 3 4 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software