Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Reproduction situ - Qantas Flight 30

Page: 1

Author Post
Hello fellow 744 simmers,

I tried to create a situ file to simulate the events of the 2008 Qantas flight 30 from Hong Kong to Melbourne.
A link to the full incident report can be found in the situ description itself.
I leave it up to you to decide if you want to have a look at the report first or if you want to dive in right away :)
Takeoff at 0122z to get the best simulation of the unfolding events later on...
You will need about 2 hours to complete this scenario.

It wasn't possible to include each and every failure in the situ and some needed a small work-around but I hope the experience will be close enough to reality.
I tried to get as much data as possible out of the report. The weather is also historically correct (thanks to ogimet.com).
Educated guess made for FPL route and perfo data.
Haven't tested it myself yet (will do tomorrow) but I did want to share it right away :mrgreen:

Download situ file HERE.

Feedback welcome... Enjoy!
Sylvain

Edit: link switched to onedrive
« Last edit by Sylle on Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:10:30 +0000. »
Google Drive settings -- I get a message that I don't have access to Google Spreadsheets?!
Hmmm strange... It's working here :(

I switched the link to OneDrive.
Could you give it another try Jeroen??

Thanks,
Sylvain
Hello Sylvain,

downloaded OK.

I see you also armed FMC L failure and ILS failures. Interesting :-) Will check the official report later ...

Thanks,

|-|ardy
Got it also.

Am running the latest Alpha 26 and approaching the T/C but the ND has the S overlayed over the T like it is trying to indicates T/C and S/C at the same time, even though CDU on Progress Page one indicates it should be T/C

User posted image
Though as soon as I passed that point it wanted a step climb....so maybe all good...
The initial CRZ ALT is way below OPT ALT, and ICAO step size is set, hence the first S/C occurs right at T/C.

This effect is not specific to this Qantas scenario or any other situ. It's just a logical consequence of the FMC setting.

If you want to inhibit this, you need to enter an "S" altitude at the desired step-to waypoint, or enter "0" in step size.

|-|
This repro situ shows a momentary, too steep a bank commanded by LNAV at the "430" fly-over waypoint.

This problem is fixed in Alpha 28.

|-|
Version 1.1 has been uploaded.
Re-download from link in the first post.

- Step climb included in legs page to avoid the S/C at T/C and to initially maintain FL290 as per incident report.
- Some source select switches were in wrong positions.

Regards,
Sylvain
It is a very good idea to create such situations, that reproduces real events. Thanks a lot Sylle !
This interesting thread has caused me to wonder if it's practical to create a situ for Qantas QF32 flight where an A380 engine blew up and took out many, many subsystems. It would probably be a ton of work to figure out the corresponding Boeing subsystems and components that need to be failed and to adequately consider differences between the Airbus computers/software and Boeing's computers/software. It probably wouldn't be enough to simply disable specific components (e.g. the engine controls and backup systems).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_32

The Captain of that flight has written a very interesting book about that experience, BTW, available in Kindle, etc, with the title "QF32". I was amazed at how many "error messages" were caused by the engine explosion.

Phil Bunch
Thanks JP! ;)

Version 1.2 uploaded
- updated takeoff performance data entries
Phil Bunch wrote
This interesting thread has caused me to wonder if it's practical to create a situ for Qantas QF32

Well QF2's incident (a 744) is already shipped with PSX - Check out the situation 'Reproduction 002'. A link to the ATSB report is in the situation description.
Sylle wrote
... The weather is also historically correct (thanks to ogimet.com).

Very useful website. Thanks.
Carl

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software