Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

"Getting started with PSX" tutorial - part 2 now available

Page: 1 2 >

Author Post
Hi, folks!

Part 2 of the "Getting started with PSX" series for beginners is now available from the Miscellaneous page -

http://aerowinx.com/html/misc.html

When I started to draft the final part (which will be an extended description of a complete PSX flight), I soon realised that there were a number of additional topics that were also needed; but on the other hand I didn't really want to clutter it up with anything other than the flight itself.

So I have created Part 2 to bridge the gap, and hopefully contain the stuff that a beginner needs to know between Part 1 and Part 3. Principally, Part 2 discusses flight planning (including how to align settings between PSX and the flight planner) along with associated issues - a summary of the various topics that are included will be found at the above link.

My thanks yet again to Hardy for his enormously helpful comments, and also to other members of the forum (credited within the document) for their expert input.

I hope that some people will find Part 2 useful! 8)

Cheers,

Brian
Brilliant! Thanks again Brian.

Malcolm
Thank you so much Brian!
Thanks, Malcolm, I hope you find it useful. :)

===============

OOPS - I forgot to mention in the preceding announcement....

I have also updated Part 1 of the series to version 1.02: this corrects a few remaining typos, and also adds a few references to associated additional information in Part 2. A recommended upgrade, therefore. :D

Cheers,

Brian
Spectacular!

This is such a relief - as much as I benefited from and enjoyed Part 1, it left me really longing for what is now your Part 2.

It's going to be a very enjoyable winter, working my way further up these learning curves.

Phil Bunch
This and Part 1 add so much value to PSX. Thanks Brian.
Fantastic! Thanks so much Brian! I just got PSX last week so this will help me even more.

Henry
Hi Brian
I have been using the flight planning software and this will help me so much. I have been doing the planning more or less right but the tutorial has very good tips and suggestions. Makes the steep learning curve just that much easier!
Thanks, great job. Andrew
Hi Brian,

thank you very much. Very helpful.
Horst
Link not working :-/
The Azores anticyclone playing it's tricks :-)

Both links up now ;-)
Hey Brian!

Thx for the tutorial!

I am using the latest model of Lufthansa (D-ABVZ) and did the performance adjustments in PFPX just the way you described it on page 19 and 20. It resulted in a cruise bias of 97,5% (which is quite different to your result).

So I planned a flight with the new entered figure and now I am experiencing a huge difference in fuel figures. After approximately 2000 nm into the flight and still 3000 nm to go, I have about 10 t less of fuel on board as calculated (by PFPX) on the actual flight plan.

What did I do wrong?!?
« Last edit by brian747 on Sun, 05 Oct 2014 17:38:57 +0000. »
Speaking of fuel being cheap, as a matter of personal curiosity, approximately how much would it cost to fill a 747-400 to the max with fuel? I know this depends on the airport and many other variables, but as a generic estimate, what would it cost at for example Heathrow or JFK or some other major airport?

Phil Bunch
Google found this webpage

http://www.iata.org/publications/economics/fuel-monitor/Pages/price-analysis.aspx

If "cts/gal" is US cents per US gallon....

I've filled up a 744ER with over 180,000 kg of fuel. Using a specific gravity of 0.79 kg/litre, that's 227,848 litres (60,152 US gallons at 0.264gal/ltr)

On 29th September, the fuel price in the USA was 270.3 cts/gal, so an almost full tank on an ER would be U$162,518

Rgds
JHW
Note that these fuel prices most likely don't work for smaller outfits. The FBOs advertise fuel around KJFK for between USD 6 and 8 per gallon. Of course "nobody pays list price" but you see that the large slurpers definitely get special treatment.

The quoted USD 2.70/gallon is "price paid at the refinery". Add transport, storage, facilities, service...

Hoppie
Hi Brian,
thanks for your efforts working on those great tuts!!
Huh, need more time to read and try out :|
BR
Hans
« Last edit by B747-400 on Tue, 07 Oct 2014 18:40:17 +0000. »
As many have already said, great work !
Thanks a lot for all your efforts.

Charles
Thank you, gentlemen!

Yes, time is always the problem. My hope is that the time I spent in writing will save some time for the readers. In view of how amazing PSX is, that would make me happy. :D

Cheers,

Brian
Hello Brian,
After reading Dejan'sproject, I decide to get an apple config.
BRAVO and THANKS for your help about getting started PSX 1 but unable to use your PSX situation file :have you any idea to convert it for apple?
Rgds.
Dan
PSX situation files are exactly the same for all supported platforms. No conversion needed.
I would like to associate myself with the remarks of the previous speaker. :)

Are you sure that you can't "use" it, Dan? Or is it that you can't/haven't put it in the right place?

Admittedly, I'm no Apple man (an iPad doesn't count) but I have to ask: what exactly did you do, and what was the result (error messages, etc)? :mrgreen:

I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out, but a little more information would be helpful. ;)

Mind you, if you really can't use it there should also be enough information in the tutorial to enable you to recreate it. 8)

Cheers,

Brian
I thought i would quickly see if I could use that situ file. Here's what I found. I'm using an Apple Macbook Pro.

First I just tried to copy the file to the situations folder. Surprisingly my Mac came up with the message asking me if I would allow this program to make changes to my computer. Which is a bit odd.

So I tried just drag and drop and that works fine. So you need to drag the Gatwick2Heathrow1.situ file to the situation folder in the Aerowinx folder. That works fine. Pops in there neatly and it loads fine!

Jeroen

Page: 1 2 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software