Archived posts

PSX introductory tutorial released

Page: 1 2 3 > »

Author Post
I just had a short (sneak) preview but must say: Great job Brian

Thx,
Roel
Hi Brian

Many thanks for taking the time to produce the new tutorial.
I am sure it will be appreciated and of great assistance to us
mere mortals recommencing our love affair with the Queen.

Regards

Noel Southam
noels7
noels7@bigpond.net.au
YPAD
Hi Brian,

Good timing - it will help whilst I wait for my copy :)

I'll have a read and hope I can get some more tips to get going as soon as PSX arrives.

It will also save some more wear and tear of Hardys demo # 1 :D

Thanks

Carl
Remember Carl: NO DRAG REQUIRED :mrgreen:
Brian,
I've been using your 'The BIG Tutorial' for PSX. It was recommended to me, and I found it very helpful. Great work I must say. Your new Tutorial, however, is just what I need. It covers many additional facets of PSX that are very helpful. Again, great work. I do appreciate it. Thank you so much.
A big thanks here too, Brian.
Cheers
Malcolm
Also a very big thank you from me.

This is exactly what I've been looking for as I've been feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of PSX.

Regards
Simon
Hi Brian,

thank you so lot fot that useful tutorial.
Great work :D Very Good overvieving for all that i need!

Regards
Volker

EDDK
Hi Brian - great doco! Quick note - AdaptPSX does support the EFIS buttons and Captain and FO ECS... :)
Thank you, Brian (and Hardy). It looks very good. Another fine example of the wonderful support on this forum. I only wish I could make some really positive contribution rather than just learning from all the great info on this forum. One day... :D
My thanks too Brian. A great guide which I wish I'd had to read after setting up all my USB buttons and then removing a numeric keypad only to find when I rolled down the runway for takeoff TO/GA did not and the elevator was dud.

Not that I could add much, there is one thing which might be helpful if you are just starting out.
For me, I've found the important things to assign to buttons are:

TO/GA,
AP Disconnect,
AT Disconnect,
Trim Up and Down,
Flaps Up and Down,
Gear cycle and the
PTT button.

I have a Saitek Yoke and 3 axis Quadrant with Saitek Peddles so with the above all set on the Yoke, I have 2 buttons left over on the Yoke which I've assigned to the Next Checklist Item and Previous Checklist.

Why? Because they are all things you need to do while climbing out or at critical points during and approach when you probably don't want to be mousing around looking for stuff.

I've also found that with PSX, the handling of the Throttle and Speedbrake with the mouse really is intuitive and easy. On Takeoff it's just a push forward on the throttles, easy to do with a mouse. I also have them assigned to a Throttle Quadrant but find myself not using it.

That leaves 6 more buttons on the Quadrant which I've not yet assigned.

Hope this helps.
Excellent tutorial! Thx Brian
My most sincere thanks for your kind comments, gentlemen! :D

Naturally, having asked Hardy to post it last night, first thing this morning I found a couple of typing errors in it <sigh>, so there will be a v1.01 at some point. Apologies to those who have downloaded v1.0, although TBH the differences are tiny. But once an Editor, always an Editor, I guess, so I couldn't leave it alone.... ;)

[Later edit: v1.01 has replaced v1.0 and is available now. Many thanks, Hardy!] :mrgreen:

Just a few specific responses:

@Carl

While you're waiting, why not do some hard thinking about the best way to lay out your controls? Getting them optimised precisely for you will improve your simming experience significantly. See the section on controls, and appendices 2 and 3 (and perhaps 4, as an example). See also funkyhut's comments, above. 8)

@John

My Aerosoft Australia MCP lacks the EFIS and Comms additions, unfortunately. I think perhaps you may have overlooked my sneaky way of wondering whether you were going to extend AdaptPSX to talk to the VRinsight MCP combo kit (those models incorporate EFIS and Comms in a single unit), at some point. Unless ( <*gasp*> ) you already have???? ;)

@Chris

That sounds great, Chris. You've obviously thought it through. :)

All the best,

Brian
« Last edit by brian747 on Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:55:24 +0000. »
Hi,
I can not download the manual, only loard it online.
It is also passwort protected.

To chance the pdf format in a word format, is impossible.

Is there anyone to publish the manual here in the forum in a word format?

Thanks
Horst
Hi Horst!

It is easy to download (right-click on "Getting to know PSX" and then use "Save target as"); and it can then either be viewed onscreen or else printed out in high resolution.

But no Word version, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Brian
Hi

@Brian - yes I'm expecting this matures into less keystrokes and therefore more use of existing hardware as I see what is possible. I see a lot - I remember - being the same from PS1.3.

I hope to expand on a similar way that I use X-Plane for the runway entry/exit procedure.... e.g., in X-Plane, Num 7 is my main view. Num 8 is part of glare shield and landing lights. Thru PSX I will hopefully be able to access all relevant items for the runway entry/exit procedure, e.g., lights, strobes, transponder, EFIS (to quickly switch on terrain or WX radar), clock, seat belt sign to 'ding' the cabin prior to take off etc..

@Hoppie - yes indeed. I even have a special copy of PSX where the DRAG REQUIRED message will never appear :D

Thanks

Carl
Brian, HH

Can I post a message at the Avsim Hangar chat forum with a link to your Guide?

For those in the fence I am almost sure they would have the chance to find out why PSX can offer...
Hi Brian,
Thank you, it was a wrong setting in my pc system ....Cheers
Horst
Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your tutorial.

Kind regards,

Frans Spruit EHAM
Brian, thanks for your tutorial! I joined the Aerowinx community back around the day that PS1.3 was released, and your Big Tutorial back then was very helpful and fun to read.

And the current one is great. The illustrations are excellent.

Two suggestions: First, it looks like there was some kind of global search-and-replace error leading to vly/vlying, instead of fly/flying, in version 1.01?

Second, you strongly encourage (p. 6) people to get a numeric keypad, including a pluggable USB keyboard if their main keyboard doesn't have one included. However, another solution which some people may find even better is to use a hat switch on a controller plus one extra button. After setting that up, I wouldn't dream of going back to the keypad. So for users who don't have a numeric keypad, but do have a hat switch and a button to spare on the controller, they might want to try a 9pack with that philosophy before they go to the store.

I've posted this elsewhere in greater detail, but in sum:

Hat switch up: moves up, like you're tilting your head upwards (overhead, P7)
Hat switch down: moves down (center console, communications and CDU's)
Hat switch left: big slice of the cockpit viewed from captain's seat
Hat switch right: ditto, for the F/O
The additional button: "home" panel, suitable for most routine flying tasks

Then just "above" the home screen is one that is optimized for landing and hand-flying.
Just "below" the home screen is one that is optimized for long-range cruise on autopilot.

So the hat switch is intuitive and is like looking around the cockpit, but if you ever get lost, one tap on the "home" button and you're back to the default screen for normal flying.

It takes a lot of words to explain but is very intuitive to actually use, and if your controller has the buttons, can save someone from buying a new keyboard. Just a thought. :-) And sorry for the long post.
« Last edit by Will on Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:45:09 +0000. »
Brian,
Many thanks for the tutorial. You did it again, much appreciated.
I haven't had the chance to read through in all its details but it looks impressive and very useful

Jeroen

Page: 1 2 3 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software