Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

ATC Descent Clearance

Page: 1

Author Post
I have found that PSX ATC often issues the clearance to descend from my cruise altitude at a point that makes it difficult to descend fast enough to get to the assigned altitude before I join the ILS. Is there something I'm not doing correctly that triggers the ATC clearance to descend?

Thank You,

Sirraj
I can't offer a reason why this would happen in PSX, but I can offer my old strategy ... using Radar Contact for ATC on FS9, and FSX, I would always calculate my own top of descent, and if I had not received a "descend to" command by ATC, I would "request lower" ... worked for me.

I haven't gotten to that point in PSX where I have tried the ATC ... but I'll be watching for the situation you describe and hope that I can always "request lower"

Good Luck!!

Cheers
Paul Benoit
One thing is: when in cruise, ATC may use SELCAL; so check for SELCAL chimes and CALL lights on the ACP.

The other thing is: the descent clearance is random generated. It may occur before, at, or after the T/D to generate random training scenarios regarding the examples on page 145.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
In other words, you need to assure that your FMC has a reasonable T/D set up. In PS1 I always added a good amount of fake tail wind during descent (in VNAV DES) to back up the T/D 10-20 nm. The random clearance generation seemed always to prefer late descent clearances.

Hoppie
Thank you both for the information, I will give the tail wind a try.

This afternoon I was departing Minneapolis using downloaded METAR weather. There were thunderstorms with wind shear, I was barely able to control the aircraft during the climb. Then, I lost an engine (#4) ... I never did get the aircraft back under control. I could imagine Hardy watching me struggle and smiling at my incompetence.

Sirraj
Any descent clearance problems should now be solved in PSX 10.0.5-beta10:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=2939

|-|ardy
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:52:48 +0000. »

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software