Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

X-Plane 10 questions

Page: 1 2 >

Author Post
1) I think this is an issue that is being worked on by LM.

2) Via the view> 3d commando look
Pan around with the mouse while holding right mouse button.

3,4 ) don't know
1) Just as marcel pointed out, it's a promised feature for 10.40 probably - more tiles visible around the current aircraft position.

3) X-Plane's weather rendering, even when using add-on products like SkyMaxx, is limited by the area being affected by the injected, metar-based, data, tile-based like the wan that restricts your long distance view at higher / cruise altitudes. You will also find that as soon as you get high enough above an OVC or BKN layer, all of a sudden it'll disappear bellow you, and you'll be able to see the ground as if it was CAVOK!

Honestly, if I had to use a visual companion for PSX, I would rather go for FSX, specially enhanced by ASN weather - don't know if it is possible given that it's PSX injecting the weather ( ? ), but even the default weather depiction will do a better job, IMO, than what we get in X-Plane 10.

It would be even better if we could use FlightGear, since then we would have much better slopped runways, and overall the world depiction in Flight Gear is really getting up to date with the most recent flightsims.
I am trying to record flights in XACARS but it is saying my engines are running even thou are are not. Any ideas?
Hi all, as a previous PS1.2 - 3 owner, I am really enjoying PSX.

I am trying both P3D2 and X-Plane 10 for visuals, and both are very good under some points of view, while something is not quite right under others (weather in X-Plane, the occasional stutters in P3D2.3).

I was thinking that this http://www.outerra.com/demo.html could be the answer in the future (a lot of work to do, but it could be worth the effort)

Bye

Andrea
Going back to X-Plane, the advantage there is that it is being updated. Now I know that FSX may have gotten a new lease on life from the Train Simulator developers who now have purchased the rights to it from Microsoft, but that is some way off.

The Laminar / X-Plane team is very approachable, and if there are features that would facilitate the interface between PSX and X-Plane, that should be conveyed to the Laminar team (i.e. regarding weather). I personally have requested features for Plane Maker (the airplane design tool that comes with X-Plane) and at least one was incorporated. There are many interesting ways of connecting X-Plane, one is with external apps to have things such as remote FMCs and the ForeFlight real world flying app, to name a few. The Laminar team is always updating and improving these tools, sometimes at user's request.

While I am firmly in the X-Plane camp (especially as a Mac user), I am not an FSX basher, it can look great and I own it along with several great add-ons, but I have found its utility to be less and less over time, due to constant crashing (and I don't mean aircraft impacting terrain).

- Stekeller
KORD
I will have a look at the weather code. There are eight weather regions in PSX and they may not be correctly interpreted by XView. I could also add a switch to turn off the weather transfer from PSX to X-Plane.

The way in which weather is defined in PSX is different from that in X-Plane. For exmple PSX has a high layer and a low layer for clouds, whereas X-Plane has three layers. I did my best to fit the two together, but it will never result in a perfect match.

I will get a mod out for the weather code in the next few days. Give that a try before you turn off the weather exchange.

Mike
Mike

What do i select to get the weather through X-view onto x-plane,

do i just leave it set to

"set weather uniformally....

Or

"set random....
"Paint weather...
"Grab weather from net....
"Grab weather from master....

also .. standby for this one, i am currently flying as NPF on multicrew, i dont have xsqkbox running, so how do i see traffic on xplane from over the net from the PF machine
Hi,

I use "set weather uniformly...". In fact XView completely overwrites the weather variables within X-Plane, so it probably doesn't make much difference which you use. I update the weather, when I receive data from PSX, but off-hand I am not sure how often Hardy publishes this. It could be that X-Plane manages to change it between Hardy's updates. I will have a look at the code and see what improvements I can make.

".. standby for this one..." Good question. I would suggest two experiments.
a) on your XView associated with the PNF check the box in the settings for "draw PSX traffic". Presumably the PF machine will pass on the traffic positions to the PNF machine and this can then relay that on to X-Plane via the PNF XView. You will see only a maximum of 7 planes as this is the maximum supported by PSX.
b) try setting up multi-player on X-Plane with your PF (Settings, Net Connection). If this passes over the traffic positions, then you would want to check the box "Draw XP traffic" to have it appear on your ND.

I am not sure whether either of these experimants will work, so some feed-back would be useful. My bet is that (a) will work, but possibly not (b). (b) would be the better solution if it works as X-Plane updates the traffic positions much more rapidly than PSX.

Let me know.

Mike
... in either case you would have to set the PSX traffic to be "Externally controlled". You can do this on the instructor screen: Situation, Human, Traffic.

Good luck!
... just to complete the picture, on the PF / X-Plane machine you would have to set XView to draw X-Plane traffic (in the XView settings window) and set PSX to have externally controlled traffic on the PF / PSX machine.
PF uses P3dv3 I use X Plane, managed to see aircraft but incorrect type, what should have been a a320 was showing as an Auster,
There is no information in PSX as far as I am aware about the aircraft types of the traffic planes. It is therefore impossible for XView to draw them correctly. You would need to set up the traffic aircraft type within X-Plane. This is of course not ideal, but I am afraid it is where we are at the moment.

By the way I got the configuration (a) above to work. PF/PSX was the main server and PNF/PSX was the main client. PF/XView connected to PF/PSX main and Boost as usual. PNF/XView connected to PF/PSX Main and PNF/PSX Boost.

Mike
I think at least one aircraft in PSX uses Airbus strobe light timing, the others use Boeing strobe light timing.

What aircraft types they are exactly -- I dont know either. Whenever I get very close, they disappear, like ghosts. Can't identify them ...

|*|ardy
By the way, when flying online, the traffic injection typically is reversed. The online client injects into X-Plane (or FSX), the link program picks these up and injects into PSX. This route typically will show the correct plane type.
Did I misunderstand this subject? Is it about identifying PSX as a 744 in online ATC simulations?

But ...
should have been a a320 was showing as an Auster
multicrew

1 network running P3d and vpilot

2nd network running xplane, and other aircraft appear as a Auster :)
1) I think this is an issue that is being worked on by LM.

Any idea when the update will be released?

2) Via the view> 3d commando look
Pan around with the mouse while holding right mouse button.

I know that but you have this ugly flight deck of X-Plane blocking your view. I want to look around without having the cockpit textures of X-Plane. So I guess there is no way to look freely around except in the 3d commando look?
Are Skymaxx and UrbanMaxx worth it?
stekeller wrote
I personally have requested features for Plane Maker (the airplane design tool that comes with X-Plane) and at least one was incorporated.

Hi,
Did you email Ben directly about your requests - what to you suggest as the best approach?

I am interested that you are familiar with plane maker and any tips relating to this cockpit problem that you might have would be useful. I spent a huge amount of time trying to get rid of the cockpit interior in the side views - even modifying the plane model in AC3D - but I couldn't find a way to do it. If you remove the cockpit from the model, you get a hole in the outside - to be expected really.

nobody wrote ...
"... you have this ugly flight deck of X-Plane blocking your view. I want to look around without having the cockpit textures of X-Plane."

Yeah, it's a real pain. As you see I tried to get round it while developing XView but without success. I will ask around and see if anybody over on the X-Plane forum has any ideas.

Mike
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Did I misunderstand this subject? Is it about identifying PSX as a 744 in online ATC simulations?

Hi Hardy,

The problem is this. VATSIM can generate traffic for X-Plane (or X-Plane can generate its own traffic by AI) and this traffic is associated with an aircraft type: Airbus, 747, Cessna etc. XView passes the location of this traffic onto PSX so that you can draw it on the ND, detect collisions etc. But PSX does not store the aircraft type. So when another PSX system is set-up as PNF linked to the other PSX as a client, it can see the traffic positions, but not the type. Therefore XView on the PNF system can't "see" the types either, and has consequently no means of deciding what model to use to draw the traffic. It draws whatever the user has set up in the X-Plane menus, which will almost certainly not correspond to the traffic type originating from VATSIM.

Mike
Hi Mike!

I have checked "default to fullscreen without HUD" in X-Plane's rendering options, so that when I go to front view (W key) I have nothing blocking the view...
You need another app (yet to be written) that reads the AI aircraft types from the pnf x-plane and sends them to the pnf x-view. More work ...

Garry Richards wrote
You need another app (yet to be written) that reads the AI aircraft types from the pnf x-plane and sends them to the pnf x-view. More work ...

It would have to take the planes from the <PF> XView and pass them directly to the PNF XView and from there to PNF X-Plane. You are right - more work.
Pierre Theillere wrote
Hi Mike!

I have checked "default to fullscreen without HUD" in X-Plane's rendering options, so that when I go to front view (W key) I have nothing blocking the view...

It is the side views that are the problem. Mike

Page: 1 2 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software