Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

X plane 10 or Prepar 3d???

Page: 1

Author Post
Why not use both? I find prepar3D has better day and addon scenery and
xplane has better night and weather effects.
So you can have the best of both worlds
Matt Sheil wrote
Why not use both? I find prepar3D has better day and addon scenery and
xplane has better night and weather effects.
So you can have the best of both worlds

But that means spending nearly twice as much for add-on for each.
Its a bit hard as its a subjective thing... what is best for you might not be for another.

There is a free demo of XPlane, and you can buy a monthly licence for Prepared, so give them both a go!
Take up knitting as a hobby, yarns of wool are cheap and you can use chop sticks as needles. :P
Not sure what your budget is, just answered to the best of my knowledge and experience with both.
Good luck
I think for me - the fact that X-plane follows the sloped runways too - so same as PSX - could be a winner (not saying p3d can't, i just haven't used it.
While everything likely has it's pros and cons, I think the important question really needs to be which interfaces with PS(X) better?

What parts do not work well? Are there going to be problems with different Navdata?
Ray_CYYZ wrote
While everything likely has it's pros and cons, I think the important question really needs to be which interfaces with PS(X) better?

What parts do not work well? Are there going to be problems with different Navdata?

Looking at the documentation available, Xview may be better the VisualPSX. Mainly as Xview plane model has more support for aircraft lighting etc.
Does anybody know if the demo version of X-Plane 10 supports plugins? You will of course need that to run XView.

Mike
GodAtum wrote
Ray_CYYZ wrote

Looking at the documentation available, Xview may be better the VisualPSX. Mainly as Xview plane model has more support for aircraft lighting etc.

Thanks, light bulb just went off, it is not so much about the flight sim used for scenery, but also key is the interfacing application that links PSX to XPX/P3D which governs what actually works.
For reference, here is the VisualPSX thread and the Xview one.
I've used all of them.

Honestly, if I was to buy PSX, I would gladly use it with it's own out of windshield model, more than sufficient for me, just as it was already in PS1.3, although I did try it with fs9 and even fsx :-)
The original posting just mentions X-Plane and PrePar 3d. There is also another (less well known, bur very good) flight simulator around. That would be "FlightGear".

Don't know how (or if) it will work for this, but it IS worth considering!

(It also is both free of cost, and open source.)
400guy wrote
That would be "FlightGear".

For a scenery generator to work with PSX you need to have an interfacing program such as VisualPSX or XView. These programs are specific to FSX/Prep3D and X-Plane respectively.

To get FlightGear to work somebody would need to write another specific interfacing program. How long this would take depends on the FlightGear interface and the features of the available aircraft. To give some idea, the XView project has taken two years, includes some 6,000 lines of code and a re-engineered aircraft (PSXPlane).

Any takers? :D

Mike
John Golin wrote
Its a bit hard as its a subjective thing... what is best for you might not be for another.

There is a free demo of XPlane, and you can buy a monthly licence for Prepared, so give them both a go!

I personally like this suggestion - thanks! I haven't done much research and I was simply unaware that demo and monthly licenses were available.

Much of the scenery generation evaluation is based on personal preferences and taste, so it's great to learn that there is an option other than buying both of them

Phil Bunch
Also, you can buy the academic license for P3D for a one time charge of $60 instead of $9.95/month once you have decided which way to go.

I have used both P3D V2 with PSX as well as XPlane10. Both are smooth and as Matt indicated earlier the daytime scenery is better for P3D and the weather an nighttime scenery better for XP10. Both are compatible with wrap around screens, warping and edge blending for the pit builder. P3D with Wideview and XP10 internally to the program (you need warping & blending software with both unless you purchase the pro license for XP10).

Cheers,

Jon
mikeindevon wrote
Does anybody know if the demo version of X-Plane 10 supports plugins? You will of course need that to run XView.

Mike

I believe the only restriction is the area you can fly in.... and that the joystick stops working after a while. But I am ready to be corrected.
« Last edit by on Wed, 30 Jul 2014 23:05:09 +0000. »
For me, if Xplane would fix(read 'create'!) Botany Bay, have dynamic seasonal scenery, and regional buildings so that Sydney doesn't look like the suburbs of New York, it'd be a winner... so close :)
Well I am an X-Plane fan but will admit that FSX just has some really nice scenery and sky effects (often achieved through add-ons though rather than inherent graphics superiority).

- X-Plane has an advantage over P3D in that it is licensed for hobbyists and you don't have to worry about LM's license legalese.
- X-Plane has an advantage over FSX in that FSX is a dead product with no support or updates anymore (for me it crashes about 30% of the time now)
- X-Plane is also constantly being updated (may be a minus if it "breaks" the connection program with PSX)

However, as I understand it the X-Plane connection program is PC only. So if you are Mac user that may be a problem.

The advice to download the demo and try it out is sound. You should be able to see if it works for you that way at little/no risk. All plug-ins work but you are limited to the Seattle demo area for about 15 minutes. Plenty of time to see if it meets your needs (day/night appearance, etc.)

- Stekeller
KORD
FYI Microsoft has sold the FS franchise - the new owner expects to have something our in 2015.
John Golin wrote
if Xplane would fix(read 'create'!) Botany Bay

I understand from Ben Supnik, the X-Plane developer, that the Botany Bay problem will be fixed in some new scenery tiles rolled out with the final version of 10.30. This should be real soon now as 10.30 Beta 7 has been out some time now and appears stable. Check the X-Plane website for updates.

Mike
Well that is great news!

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software