Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Page: « < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > »

Author Post
GodAtum wrote
Just an update, PSX does not seem to interact with Xplane. I enabled speeds logging and the output when taxiing is 0.

I can confirm that. Just now flying with X-Plane and IVAO. The GS logged by the IVAO tracker is 0kts.

Mike, is there any chance to fix that?

Bernd
Berndo wrote
GodAtum wrote
Just an update, PSX does not seem to interact with Xplane. I enabled speeds logging and the output when taxiing is 0.

I can confirm that. Just now flying with X-Plane and IVAO. The GS logged by the IVAO tracker is 0kts.

Mike, is there any chance to fix that?

Bernd

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=1911
JRBarrett wrote
Berndo wrote

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=1911

Thanks, JRBarrett. I missed Mike's thread.

Bernd
Hi,
I use both prepar3D 2.2 and xplane 10.25 for scenery generator,
Is there a need to upgrade xplane to version 10.30 ?
Thinking of an old saying"don't fix things that ar not broken"
Thanks
Ivo
Hi Ivo!

I flew MMMX - LFPG last night, using X-Plane 10.20 rc2 (the same that has just been declared as "final" 10.30) slaved to PSx (10.0.1 alpa 15) via XView, and all went fine... so I guess you may confidently consider taking the step!
Thanks Pierre,
Just installed it.
Ivo
This looks really good, but I'm having trouble logging in to download the files. Has the user name or password changed? I appreciate your help.

Also, am I correct that two computers will be needed to make X-View work with PSX? I will be running PSX on a Mac.

Steve
XView is exclusively Windows at the moment. You can run both PSX and XView on one Win PC if it is powerful enough. If your PSX is on a Mac, then you will need a PC for XView.

I haven't changed the passwords etc on the download site. I cannot check it out until Monday, but others have put up the software elsewhere.

Mike
Hello

In the X-Plane log, I get the following message:

Fetching plugins for C:\X-Plane 10/Resources/plugins

Loaded: C:\X-Plane 10/Resources/plugins/PluginAdmin/64/win.xpl (xpsdk.examples.pluginadmin).

C:\X-Plane 10/Resources/plugins/XView/64/win.xpl : Error Code = 126 : The specified module could not be found.

EDIT: Solved! The solution was to install visual c++ redistributable 2010
« Last edit by ahaka on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:11:58 +0000. »
And, I really have to get a better desktop - my i5 2500 k is showing it's age :-/

Have had the chance to run X-Plane 10 on an i7, with PSX on my ASUS laptop, and whow! what a difference, even with OSM scenery in the scenery generator machine!

It was rather smooth, and I could easily handfly even the most challenging SITUs.

On that same PC the user had P3D v2,3... What a slideshow :-/
Any chance this might be made to work on OSX?
I think I followed the instructions correctly.
I am running PSX and XPlane on the same PC for now just to get familiar with it.
When trying to load the Aircraft PSX Plane is get the following error message.
"I tried to open the plane, but could not:
Aircraft/Heavy Metal/PSX Plane/747-400 United.acf
This smacks of a corrupted airplane file... "

Any ideas anyone?

Greg
Works fine here, Greg. Perhaps the downloaded file got corrupted? Have you tried redownloading/unzipping the file?
Mike, if you'd like I'm happy to help out porting/building/testing this on OS X. Just had a quick look how to build plugins for X-Plane on OS X, shouldn't be much of a problem if you didn't use too many windows internal API's (and even then, I can probably find an equivalent way around in Apple world). Just email me at my username here @inside.net

Cheers

- Balt
Hi Balt,

I will send you an email shortly and we can see what we can work out for the benefit of the community.

All of the Microsoft specific stuff is in two libraries, one dealing with threads and the other with the comms. Perhaps you could convert those to OSX and create a .dll (or whatever terminology Apple uses). It's a couple of hundred lines of code in C++.

I will buy a Mac and port the rest. Any suggestions on what Mac I might buy? The requirements would be that it runs PSX well and will compile the software reasonably quickly. I don't want to buy the high end ash tray thingy because my performance machine is a PC and will remain so as I have a huge investment in various sorts of proprietary software.

Mike
« Last edit by mikeindevon on Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:20:19 +0000. »
Hi Pierre,

The weather injection (and time) facility you request is in the final stages of testing. I have written to Ben this morning about the brutal weather transitions.

I was thinking about going for the mini as I don't need a screen and keyboard.

Mike
Hi Mike!

Aaaaah, you're right: a MacMini may be even cheaper, and also better suit your needs... and, apart for developing XView for Mac, it can be perfect for a media center, or even a stealth and silent PSx computer.
Amazing news for the weather stuff: the foggy autumn / winter conditions are soon there, and will be perfect for testing (and trying to break) it!
Hi Mike,

no problem, sounds like it'll be a breeze then. Both threading and comms should be straightforward to migrate to OS X.

The target OS however is OS X, not iOS. But I'm sure Apple is close to unifying the two (unfortunately).

Any recent generation Mac Mini should do the job for you, if it's just for building and testing X-Plane and PSX. PSX will run fine out of the box, X-Plane however won't perform ravishingly, as its OpenGL based graphics won't have hardware acceleration in the minis. Perhaps a Macbook Pro might be a better solution. If you're not into super huge resolution (2880x1800) and correspondingly vanishingly small pixel size, stay away from Retina displays (although I quite like PSX on mine I have to say!)

I see you're a retired physicist? What "branch" were you in? I'm in Astrophysics.

Cheers

- Balt
Mike,

a few days ago I had a conversation with a controller on IVAO. He couldn't see my speed or my altitude. Just now I got the same again from another controller.
The altitude only appears on the web-based tracker, not on their radar screens.

Is there any chance you could look into this please? (I know you're already talking with Ben about the GS problem)

Also, would it be possible to make the com radio frequencies writeable from X-Plane? This way we could tune with X-Ivap.

Thanks,
Bernd
Berndo wrote

Bernd,

What altitude is reported on these screens? Is it the true altitude or as reported by the plane based on air pressure? There is a dataref ".../misc/h_ind". I could try writing to that. It really depends on how XSquawkbox works. Does it work ok if you run a stand-alone x-plane flight without XView/PSX?

This is a slightly different situation from the GS problem. Obviously I tell X-Plane what the true altitude is for it to draw the scenery. The problem with GS is that x-plane won't let you inject a value.

Berndo wrote
Also, would it be possible to make the com radio frequencies writeable from X-Plane?

I am not sure what you mean here. I set the frequencies in X-Plane form PSX. Do you want an option to turn that off, or do you want me to inject the comm values in x-plane into PSX?

Mike
mikeindevon wrote
Berndo wrote

Bernd,

What altitude is reported on these screens? Is it the true altitude or as reported by the plane based on air pressure? There is a dataref ".../misc/h_ind". I could try writing to that. It really depends on how XSquawkbox works. Does it work ok if you run a stand-alone x-plane flight without XView/PSX?

The altitude the controllers see is 0, e.g. I'm moving on their screen while being on the ground according to their read-out.
Also I'm using X-Ivap, not XSquawkbox.

Without XView/PSX I show up on their screens fine (according to them, can't verify it myself).

mikeindevon wrote
Berndo wrote
Also, would it be possible to make the com radio frequencies writeable from X-Plane?

I am not sure what you mean here. I set the frequencies in X-Plane form PSX. Do you want an option to turn that off, or do you want me to inject the comm values in x-plane into PSX?

I'd like the last thing, ideally I'd want full communication in both ways.
-) I change the com radio freq in PSX, it is reflected in X-Plane.
-) I change the com radio freq in X-Plane, it is reflected in PSX.

That feature would really help me while flying online.

Thanks for your continued interest in my problems,
Bernd
I have looked at the X-Ivap website and the links to both the forum and staff are not working. Can you get me an email address of somebody I can talk to about their software?

You didn't quite give me the answer I needed to my question. Is the altitude the controllers should see the geometric height above the surface or the barometric altitude reported by the plane? This may help me find the right data ref.

If you are able to do the following, we might get a solution quicker. If you load the plugin DRE (Data Ref Editor) you can modify some of the X-Plane internals directly. If you did this during a controller session you might be able to locate which dtaref is supplying them with the necessary info. Even if we know this, there is no guarantee that LR lets us write to it.

Mike
Transponder mode C reports are always in barometric altitude, and technically in the real world always the altitude referenced to 1013/2992. The transponder does not follow the flight deck altimeter setting. I presume that IVAO uses the same principle.

Page: « < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software