Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX Suite released

Page: « < ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > »

Author Post
Any chance of VisualPSX and Traffic PSX supporting IVAO IVAP? I fly a lot on IVAO, and it currently only supports VATSIM, am I right?

Thank you for the amazing software!
Thank you! TrafficPSX supports any software that uses the original Squawkbox client area structure in FSX. I don't know whether this applies to IVAO comms software or not.

TAY737 wrote
Hello Ben (and Triple7),

I had the same issue with weather only being properly displayed in FSX when it was set in PSX via the preset weather click-boxes or via entries in the zone weather fields (typing in values or adjusting them with the vertical slider).
Any downloaded weather, however, would inject but clear after a few seconds.

Ken

Hi Ken, any progress?

Could you also check if your landing lights are also configured and able to turn on?

I have been unable to switch them on in both P3D2.3 and XP10 using VisualPSX and XView.
Hello,

I have trouble with connection between VisualPSX and FSX. I followed carefully each step, I can even see the simconnect debug box launching when fsx is starting. ActiveSkyNext has no trouble to connect with fsx.

PSX, VisualPSX and FSX runs on the same PC with 2 screens.

I set IP to 127.0.0.1 in the xml and in the cfg.

I am a bit puzzled and feels it may be due to port, so added exceptions in the firewall but no luck. Has anyone experienced same problem?

Other questions:
- does some fs addons install simconnect (ASN for example) and is it then causing trouble to launch the simconnect.msi over it?
-when we install simconnect does it install automaticaly the xml and the
Cfg? I had to add them by hand so maybe the problem lies here? Are these files mandatory for simconnect to work properly ?

Thanks much for your help and congrat to Gary for this great addon.
« Last edit by Filoux on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 08:11:31 +0000. »
OmniAtlas wrote
Hi Ken, any progress?
Could you also check if your landing lights are also configured and able to turn on?
I have been unable to switch them on in both P3D2.3 and XP10 using VisualPSX and XView.

Hello,

No progress on the downloaded METAR-weather issue.

To further eliminate chances of something exterior influencing things, I have done a full hard drive wipe + re-install of Windows 7, only reinstalling the absolute essentials:
* PSX (not networked, running as main+boost server)
* FSX+FSX Acceleration (without any add-ons, tweaks or custom settings; no FSUIPC installed)
* VisualPSX plus the required installs of simconnect.msi etc, as mentioned in the VisualPSX manual

Still seeing exactly the same results: preselected weather injects and remains OK, downloaded weather does not.
In a previous post I said that it looked like the weather/clouds disappeared seemingly at random after some time, upon further observation I have now found that actually it disappears as soon as the new METAR data cycle download has been performed by PSX.

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing the same:

* PSX sitting on the ground, parking brake set. FSX and VisualPSX running.
* untick "Set zones by flight track and downloaded METAR"
* click CAT I, CAT II etc boxes; weather is correctly injected instantly, visibility and clouds shoot up and down accordingly
* tick "Set zones by...", latest METAR is injected correctly
* leave everything untouched until the next METAR update in about half an hour (approximate time of next download is indicated in the lower right corner of the PSX weather tab)
* when the new METAR comes in, FSX weather flickers for 1-2 seconds (cloudy, clear, cloudy again) and finally settles on CAVOK, wind calm with full ISA conditions, regardless of the METAR displayed in PSX.

OmniAtlas wrote

I'm seeing FSX display landing lights exactly as mentioned in the VisualPSX manual, ie. when either both inboard or both outboard landings lights are selected ON in PSX..

Can't speak for P3D though... And I haven't installed X-Plane 10 and XView yet.

Ken
« Last edit by TAY737 on Fri, 05 Sep 2014 15:50:57 +0000. »
Filoux wrote
Hello,

I have trouble with connection between VisualPSX and FSX. I followed carefully each step, I can even see the simconnect debug box launching when fsx is starting. ActiveSkyNext has no trouble to connect with fsx.

Could you be more specific?

I am a bit puzzled and feels it may be due to port, so added exceptions in the firewall but no luck. Has anyone experienced same problem?

Other questions:
- does some fs addons install simconnect (ASN for example) and is it then causing trouble to launch the simconnect.msi over it?

No. Windows is designed to accept multiple installations and multiple versions of SimConnect.

Cfg? I had to add them by hand so maybe the problem lies here?

No. You have to add or modify them manually, as described in the manual.

Are these files mandatory for simconnect to work properly ?

Yes.

Thank you. I hope you get it working.

Hi Ken,

TAY737 wrote
Hello,

Still seeing exactly the same results: preselected weather injects and remains OK, downloaded weather does not.

In a previous post I said that it looked like the weather/clouds disappeared seemingly at random after some time, upon further observation I have now found that actually it disappears as soon as the new METAR data cycle download has been performed by PSX.

When the new METAR comes in, FSX weather flickers for 1-2 seconds (cloudy, clear, cloudy again) and finally settles on CAVOK, wind calm with full ISA conditions, regardless of the METAR displayed in PSX.

Ken

This is useful information. I can see several possible causes:

PSX may not be updating the weather output variables when the downloaded weather updates itself.

VisualPSX may be ignoring updates after a while.

An addon such as ASN may be modifying FSX weather.

I can't investigate this until I have access to my system again.
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sun, 07 Sep 2014 17:54:51 +0000. »
Garry Richards wrote
Filoux wrote
Hello,

Could you be more specific?

Other questions:

No. Windows is designed to accept multiple installations and multiple versions of SimConnect.

Cfg? I had to add them by hand so maybe the problem lies here?

No. You have to add or modify them manually, as described in the manual.

Are these files mandatory for simconnect to work properly ?

Yes.

Thank you. I hope you get it working.

Thanks Gary for taking time to help me.

To be more specific, I installed PSX on my PC which has already FSX and several addons installed on. Among them I have ASN which talk to fsx via simconnect and it works very fine.

I installed VisualPSX following the instructions. When launching simconnect.msi it started the process but halt shortly after start without more message. I added the xml, the ini and the cfg provided in the visualpsx package and specified the 127.0.0.1 adress. The ini is read since now I can see a debug dos window after fsx startup. Once I launched PSX, fsx and visualPSX, VisualPSX can't make the connection with fsx.

After further analysis I have several simconnect version installed. Can it be a source of conflict?

Other than that xview works fine with xplane10.
Filoux wrote
I installed VisualPSX following the instructions. When launching simconnect.msi it started the process but halt shortly after start without more message.

That is normal. The SimConnect.dll file is installed very quickly.

I added the xml, the ini and the cfg provided in the visualpsx package and specified the 127.0.0.1 adress. The ini is read since now I can see a debug dos window after fsx startup.

I don't recall seeing a DOS debug window. This may indicate a problem in your setup. If you have other addons they may each have a section in the xml. In that case you should have modified the existing xml as described in the manual.

Once I launched PSX, fsx and visualPSX, VisualPSX can't make the connection with fsx.

That is possibly due to the above problem.

After further analysis I have several simconnect version installed. Can it be a source of conflict?

I suspect that you have made other addons unstable by removing their references in SimConnect.xml if I understand you correctly.

The debug window is called when you specify console=1 in the ini. I guess I will do a clean resinstall of all.
Garry Richards wrote
Hi Ken,

TAY737 wrote
Hello,

When the new METAR comes in, FSX weather flickers for 1-2 seconds (cloudy, clear, cloudy again) and finally settles on CAVOK, wind calm with full ISA conditions, regardless of the METAR displayed in PSX.

Ken

This is useful information. I can see several possible causes:

PSX may not be updating the weather output variables when the downloaded weather updates itself.

VisualPSX may be ignoring updates after a while.

An addon such as ASN may be modifying FSX weather.

I can't investigate this until I have access to my system again.

Hi Garry,

I am seeing the same effect. On initial load of VisualPSX, the current downloaded METAR from PSX is injected into the FSX side with no problems. I usually wait to start VisualPSX until PSX weather for the local zone has fully stabilized - i.e. the weather status tab on the PSX instructor screen for the departure airport has turned green.

The injected weather remains stable in FSX until the next PSX METAR update, at which time any visible clouds disappear and reappear once, then the FSX weather goes to CAVOK and remains that way.

If I then begin a flight, once enroute, every few minutes there will be some white flashes in the FSX sky, as if the weather is trying to inject, but not "taking". I suspect these flashes correlate to the moments when the PSX aircraft is transitioning from the current weather zone to the next zone in the route.

Like the others who have experienced a similar problem, if I disable downloaded METARS in PSX, and choose one of the pre-defined low-vis CATIII, scenarios, the FSX weather instantly changes to match - on the ground. If I try doing this in flight, it does not seem to have an effect.

I do suspect this may be a simconnect issue. Perhaps it does not work well in conjunction with the PSX "smooth transition" mode when using downloaded METARS. I know there are several different ways to inject weather via simconnect. Early versions of programs like Active Sky, used global mode, where the weather throughout the FSX world is set to the same conditions everywhere. Is that the injection protocol you are using?

The new ASN and also OPUS apparently now use a theme mode - which I believe is more complex to implement programmatically, but, I believe, may correspond more closely to the "zone" concept that PSX uses.

One thing I did note is that if I set the weather selection menu in FSX to anything other than "clear" (such as "user defined"), the menu will immediately go back to "clear" as soon as VisualPSX is activated.

I have tried turning VisualPSX weather injection "off" in order to use ASN to inject the clouds and visibility conditions into FSX. That did seem to work well visually, but I believe that doing this overloads simconnect, as I began to experience stuttering in in the FSX aircraft movements being driven by VisualPSX, along with dropouts in the data being sent to my VPilot client from TrafficPSX. I will try some more tests along this line...
« Last edit by JRBarrett on Sun, 07 Sep 2014 17:37:47 +0000. »
Hi all,

by this comment ...

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=19687#post19687

... I wanted to say that the PSX server will do this:

When "Set zones by ..." is on, the server sends METAR texts only.

When "Set zones by ..." is off, the server sends METAR texts and target data.

Add-ons that want to receive weather from PSX in either mode, must be able to read the METAR texts.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sun, 07 Sep 2014 17:53:07 +0000. »
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Hi all,

by this comment ...

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=19687#post19687

... I wanted to say that the PSX server will do this:

When "Set zones by ..." is on, the server sends METAR texts only.

When "Set zones by ..." is off, the server sends METAR texts and target data.

Add-ons that want to receive weather from PSX in either mode, must be able to read the METAR texts.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Thanks Hardy, I'll try this tonight. Up until now, I have had "set zones by" turned on.
Thanks everyone for continuing to test and research the weather transfer behaviour with VisualPSX. Without reviewing the code I can't make definitive statements about its operation and it will be another six weeks or so before I have access to my system again. But please keep researching.

I started up PSX tonight at EGKK, which was reporting a broken layer at 3500 feet, with a visibility of about 3.5 miles with haze. I enabled "set zones by", and waited for the focused zone tab to turn green, indicating the the PSX weather was fully stabilized.

I then started FSX, located my aircraft at EGKK, then started VisualPSX. Once the interconnection was complete, the broken cloud layer appeared in FSX, as did the surface wind, which was about 050 degrees at 03 knots.

I then unchecked "set zones by" on the PSX situation > weather page. The clouds remained, as did the wind AND THE 3-MILE VISIBILITY REPORTED IN THE METAR ALSO APPEARED.

I had never really noticed this before, but in retrospect, I now realize that in all my previous experiments with PSX-to-FSX weather injection, although any reported METAR clouds are injected on initial startup of VisualPSX, the horizontal visibility (below the clouds) has always been unlimited, despite what the PSX METAR visibility might actually be reporting. Turning "set zones by" OFF causes the FSX displayed visibility to reduce to match what PSX is reporting, and this happens instantly.

Not sure of the significance of this, but it seems that PSX METAR visibility is NOT being injected into FSX, unless "set zones by" is turned "off". Perhaps this is related to the fact that "quick mode" is enabled with the "set zones" turned off, as opposed to "smooth transition" mode?

I know you won't be able to look into this until you return from holiday next month, but just wanted to give you some more data.

A question for Hardy: When I first started PSX, with "set zones by" tuned on, it created the primary focused zone at EGKK, with additional zones for other nearby airports. Those zones remained (in manual mode) once I turned "set zones by" OFF. I did not attempt to fly the aircraft to a different destination - I just remained parked at EGKK to see if the FSX weather would eventually fall back to CAVOK. (It did not - clouds and visibility remained stable in FSX).

Am I correct in assuming that if I leave "set zones by" turned off, that there will be no further automatic updates of the zone METARS based on r/w conditions as time goes by? I did note that the scheduled update of METARS that should have occured about 30 minutes after first starting PSX did not happen.
Am I correct in assuming that if I leave "set zones by" turned off, that there will be no further automatic updates of the zone METARS based on r/w conditions as time goes by?
You are correct.

The complete sentence reads:

[x] Set zones by flight track and downloaded METARs

So, when this feature is off, downloaded METARs will not set the zones.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Guys,

has anyone successfullly connected VisualPSX to one of the router softwares? (PSX Router, SimSwitch)

I am running PSX and VisualPSX just fine here on a single PC with two monitors (thanks for this great program!).

But when I try to run the VisualPSX as client connecting to e.g. the router, VisualPSX crashes when trying to connect to the server which is the router in this case.

The upstream connection from the router to the PSX main server is fine, the connection works well and I get the router shown as client in PSX. Next I try to connect VisualPSX to port 10748 of the router (changed the port from 10747 to 10748 because I want to switch from PSX to router). However, whenever I use port 10748, VisualPSX crashes.

As far as I can tell, the network setup is okay.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Markus
The Router does not relay the Boost Server. Does VisualPSX allow the Main Server to be the Router and the Boost Server to be the original PSX?

Hoppie
Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers wrote
The Router does not relay the Boost Server.

Neither does SimSwitch.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers wrote
Does VisualPSX allow the Main Server to be the Router and the Boost Server to be the original PSX?

Yes, you can specify different servers for Main and Boost.

The reason SimSwitch (and Router I'm guessing) don't relay the Boost is that any client instance of PSX can act as a Boost server - ie the need isn't there.
Note that I am not talking about the boost server. This connection is configured differently in VisualPSX and shown as a different connection in VisualPSX (port 10749).

VisualPSX apparently crashes before even trying to connect to the boost server. In both, SimSwitch and PSXrouter, I'll see a client being connected briefly (using localhost:10748). Then, for no apparent reason (router might try to send data), VisualPSX crashes. Subsequently, the router shows that the client has disconnected.

I also tried to configure other ports e.. 10750 (listening port in e.g. SimSwitch and outgoing port in VisualPSX) to get out of the way of every other program. The results (VisualPSX crashes) is the same.

Has anyone tried connecting VisualPSX to the router or SimSwitch already?

Markus
Markus Vitzethum wrote
(using localhost:10748).

...which in itself looks suspicious...

:D
M.
Nice.

I wrote :10748 )
The forum software then wrote :10748)

I guess I need to use port 10744 to avoid the forum software modifying my posts! :lol: :P (different smilies here. :twisted: )

Markus
I finally got my copy of PSX! What an amazing piece of software! So effortless to setup with multiple monitors and to automatically start all the instances! Very intuitive to use!

I'm only starting to get everything set up here, now working with VisualPSX and P3D. Connection was effortless to establish, however, for some reason I am getting constant tiny stuttering.

My P3D v2.3 is running at a smooth 60fps, all my PSX instances (including the main/boost server run at 72fps without a single fluctuation. When I connect through VisualPSX, the frame rate in P3D remains at 60fps, but I get micro stuttering all the time. Is this normal or should it be butter smooth? I have a gigabit network btw, so it shouldn't be a problem. Nagle is disabled in the simconnect.

Any ideas where I should start troubleshooting?
What should be the number of sent/received packets on the computer running VisualPSX?

My network monitor graph shows around 10 packets per second for both sent and received.

Page: « < ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software