Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX Suite released

Page: « < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > »

Author Post
The order of operation really doesn't matter Sirraj.

As long as you complete the steps, you will be fine.

Gary has two explanations for SimConnect.xml because it is also used by other addons so it may already exist and instead of just putting it in the FSX directory, you would want to edit it and add Gary's settings.

In your case, being a new install with no addons you go straight to the edit ip address to 127.0.0.1 as Jeroen explained and put it in the directory: C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

You can find this directory quickly by pasting: %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX into Windows Explorer shown here: (point 4: Address Bar)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

This one can be a bit tough to find for folks as generally it is hidden.
Hi Sirraj,

sirraj wrote
But the PSX scenery has not changed from the standard PSX display. Am I misunderstanding what VisualPSX is supposed to do? Should I be seeing FSX scenery while I'm looking out the PSX windscreen?

You won't see FSX scenery out of the PSX windscreen, no. VisualPSX injects position information into FSX so that the view moves to match what is occuring within PSX. You need to either run FSX on a separate monitor or arrange your view so that you have both FSX and PSX running on the same monitor.

www.twitch.tv/btrip7 - shows a half and half set up
http://www.twitch.tv/d2099/b/560045940 - shows a separate set up
Thank you very much. I have been thinking about getting a second monitor, now I have another reason. I am aware that you have been a big part of the success of PSX (and PS-1) and appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Sirraj
Hi there -- have been using VisualPSX for the last few days now; pretty straight forward, thank you for the software Garry.

My issues are with the 'inject PSX weather into FSX'

I am using P3D and I have this option enabled but I do see any weather injected into P3D, only clear skies.

Has anyone else been able to get this feature to work?

Thank you,

Ben
OmniAtlas wrote
Hi there -- have been using VisualPSX for the last few days now; pretty straight forward, thank you for the software Garry.

My issues are with the 'inject PSX weather into FSX'

I am using P3D and I have this option enabled but I do see any weather injected into P3D, only clear skies.

Has anyone else been able to get this feature to work?

Thank you,

Ben

It's been working well on FSX for me. Have not tried it on P3D.
I got it to work now, seems like there I have 2 simconnect sections to modify in simconnect.xml, a 'global' section, and a 'local' section. I changed the global section to my local ip address and now it injects.

<SimConnect.Comm>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Address>127.0.0.1</Address>
<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
<Port>9017</Port>
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>true</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Scope>local</Scope>
<Address>127.0.0.1</Address>
<Port>9017</Port>
<MaxRecvSize>8192</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>true</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
Weather injects now, but clears to clean skies after a few seconds :-\
Hi OmniAtlas.
Here is my simconnect .xml
Have 2 apps running, visual psx on port 29764 and active sky 2012 on port 500
Both local, ip address is from my router, i do not use 127.0.0.1

Hope this helps
Ivo :lol:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Scope>local</Scope>
<Address>192.168.1.100</Address>
<Port>29764</Port>
<DisableNagle>True</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Scope>local</Scope>
<Address>192.168.1.100</Address>
<Port>500</Port>
<DisableNagle>True</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>
OmniAtlas wrote
Weather injects now, but clears to clean skies after a few seconds :-

Do you have ASN installed for FSX or P3D? If so, ASN installs a custom DLL that loads at startup every time you run the sim, and I believe it may cause this problem.

The load command is located in the DLL.XML file, and should be the very last entry. I'm not at my FS computer, and don't remember the exact name - something like "asn_brstp". What I did was to edit DLL.XML with notepad to change the "disabled" line of that config entry from FALSE to TRUE, which will prevent the DLL from loading when the sim is started.

Might want to make a backup copy of DLL.XML before doing any editing.

Just have to remember to re-enable the entry when you run FSX or P3D as a stand-alone with ASN weather.

If you do not have ASN, then I'm not sure what may be causing the weather to auto-clear. Pehaps an FSUIPC weather setting?

Jim Barrett
JRBarrett wrote
OmniAtlas wrote
Weather injects now, but clears to clean skies after a few seconds :-

Do you have ASN installed for FSX or P3D? If so, ASN installs a custom DLL that loads at startup every time you run the sim, and I believe it may cause this problem.

The load command is located in the DLL.XML file, and should be the very last entry. I'm not at my FS computer, and don't remember the exact name - something like "asn_brstp". What I did was to edit DLL.XML with notepad to change the "disabled" line of that config entry from FALSE to TRUE, which will prevent the DLL from loading when the sim is started.

Might want to make a backup copy of DLL.XML before doing any editing.

Just have to remember to re-enable the entry when you run FSX or P3D as a stand-alone with ASN weather.

If you do not have ASN, then I'm not sure what may be causing the weather to auto-clear. Pehaps an FSUIPC weather setting?

Jim Barrett

Hi Jim, I found the issue, I didn't RT Fine manual correctly and only edit a simconnect entry (the ip address), when I should have been entering a new section!

It works now 8) I do not use ASN, and have decided to stick with the PSX weather injection method.

My only issues now is when I try and change the location of the aircraft, I am always not aligned with the gate?

Regards,

Ben
Ivo de Colfmaker wrote
Hi OmniAtlas.
Here is my simconnect .xml
Have 2 apps running, visual psx on port 29764 and active sky 2012 on port 500
Both local, ip address is from my router, i do not use 127.0.0.1

Hope this helps
Ivo :lol:

Thanks IVO, that was the issue, I didn't add a section with the 29764 port.
Some further testing today, it seems like the weather only flashes to clear skies after a few seconds when I have the option 'Set zones by flight track and downloaded METARs' selected.

When I set zone weather by randomization, or by the prefilled weather options (CAT1-III, etc), there is no flashing or sudden change of the weather environment.

I do not have any additional weather programs running.

I have tried enabling and disabling "Allow changes to FS own weather" in FSUIPC but that does not make any difference.
« Last edit by OmniAtlas on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:11:04 +0000. »
Triple7 wrote
Hello,

Re: Weather.

For me it seems to work if I either create my own weather or use the quick buttons. As soon as I try and use downloaded weather I just get clear skies (green/blue/purple tabs are the same).

Hi Triple7, have you found a solution to the clear skies? My weather tab all have A inside them with an upside down (purple color) triangle.

Regards.
Hello Ben (and Triple7),

I had the same issue with weather only being properly displayed in FSX when it was set in PSX via the preset weather click-boxes or via entries in the zone weather fields (typing in values or adjusting them with the vertical slider).
Any downloaded weather, however, would inject but clear after a few seconds.

Jim's post about the ASN custom DLL got me thinking:

JRBarrett wrote

I don't have ASN myself, but I do have a registered version of FSUIPC.

Editing the DLL.XML file and putting 'True' in the "disabled" line of the 'FSUIPC 4' section appears to have solved my weather injection issues: PSX downloaded weather is now displayed correctly.

As Jim suspected, some (weather) setting in FSUIPC seems to be at fault, at least in my case. I have a mildly modified FSUIPC.ini file with mostly control assignments but also some various other settings. I had previously tried playing with some FSUIPC settings but to no avail - possibly because they would have required a restart of FSX in order to see the results?

For the time being, instead of looking at the FSUIPC settings in more detail, I have drafted a simple .bat file that swaps between a FSUIPC disabled and FSUIPC enabled version of DLL.XML, seeing as FSUIPC is really not doing anything useful anyway when running an FSX session solely as PSX scenery generator.

As you seem to have FSUIPC installed, you might want to try doing as I did. Let us know if it changes anything..

Regards,

Ken
TAY737 wrote
Hello Ben (and Triple7),

I had the same issue with weather only being properly displayed in FSX when it was set in PSX via the preset weather click-boxes or via entries in the zone weather fields (typing in values or adjusting them with the vertical slider).
Any downloaded weather, however, would inject but clear after a few seconds.

Jim's post about the ASN custom DLL got me thinking:

JRBarrett wrote

I don't have ASN myself, but I do have a registered version of FSUIPC.

Editing the DLL.XML file and putting 'True' in the "disabled" line of the 'FSUIPC 4' section appears to have solved my weather injection issues: PSX downloaded weather is now displayed correctly.

As Jim suspected, some (weather) setting in FSUIPC seems to be at fault, at least in my case. I have a mildly modified FSUIPC.ini file with mostly control assignments but also some various other settings. I had previously tried playing with some FSUIPC settings but to no avail - possibly because they would have required a restart of FSX in order to see the results?

For the time being, instead of looking at the FSUIPC settings in more detail, I have drafted a simple .bat file that swaps between a FSUIPC disabled and FSUIPC enabled version of DLL.XML, seeing as FSUIPC is really not doing anything useful anyway when running an FSX session solely as PSX scenery generator.

As you seem to have FSUIPC installed, you might want to try doing as I did. Let us know if it changes anything..

Regards,

Ken

I have a followup caution for those who may be using ASN, who decide to temporarily disable it via the DLL.xml as I first suggested. Doing this has always worked for me since PSX/VisualPSX came out to insure that PSX weather injection will not be blocked. This was using the original ASN program, with the latest "hotfix 5" applied.

Yesterday, however, I decided to install the new ASN SP1, (which is still in beta).

NOW, when I disable the ASN Connect, FSX will crash on startup - right at the point where the aircraft selection screen would normally appear. This happens repeatedly. If I re-enable the ASN file in DLL.xml, FSX boots normally. It would seem that perhaps the new ASN SP has installed additional modules or DLLS that are loaded at startup, (other than by the dll.xml or exe.xml route), which will prevent FSX from loading if the ASN Connect program is not allowed to run.

Jim Barrett
TAY737 wrote

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

I will try disabling FSUIPC and see if it works, tonight.

Hi Jim -- I don't have ASN, I think FSUIPC is the culprit.

Regards,

Ben
Garry Richards wrote
Hi Ben,

The PTT feature in TrafficPSX sends a keystroke to vPilot when PSX transmits on whichever of VHF L, C or R you have specified to be FSX COM1 or COM2.

If you transmit to any other location the keystroke won't be sent to vPilot.

Cheers,

Thanks Garry, is it possible to program a joystick button in future releases?

Or is vpilot always on 'listen' mode, and should I program a joystick button press directly within vpilot, and disable the TrafficPSX PTT feature?

Regards.
OmniAtlas wrote
Garry Richards wrote
Hi Ben,

The PTT feature in TrafficPSX sends a keystroke to vPilot when PSX transmits on whichever of VHF L, C or R you have specified to be FSX COM1 or COM2.

If you transmit to any other location the keystroke won't be sent to vPilot.

Cheers,

Thanks Garry, is it possible to program a joystick button in future releases?

Or is vpilot always on 'listen' mode, and should I program a joystick button press directly within vpilot, and disable the TrafficPSX PTT feature?

Regards.

Hi Ben,

I use VPilot in network mode, with the main client on a laptop, connected to the VPilot Traffic Proxy program running on my combined PSX/FSX computer.

I defined one of the buttons on my CH yoke as CAPT PTT in PSX, and assigned the same button as PTT in Traffic Proxy. It works just fine, without having to enable a PTT assignment in TrafficPSX.

Jim Barrett
Update -- disabled FSUIPC and weather injection works correctly now with no clear skies.

Unfortunately this will not be a long term solution because vpilot requires FSUIPC for vatsim traffic injection.

Hopefully Garry has some suggestions, or we have to contact the author of FSUIPC.

Thanks Jim, assigned the joystick PTT button on vpilot and on PSX usb options and that works fine.

Regards.
OmniAtlas wrote
Update -- disabled FSUIPC and weather injection works correctly now with no clear skies.

Unfortunately this will not be a long term solution because vpilot requires FSUIPC for vatsim traffic injection.

Hopefully Garry has some suggestions, or we have to contact the author of FSUIPC.

Thanks Jim, assigned the joystick PTT button on vpilot and on PSX usb options and that works fine.

Regards.

Interesting... My PSX-to-FSX weather injection IS working, with FSUIPC installed. (registered version). I use it only for some custom controller mappings in FSX.

Have you tried clicking on the button on the first tab of the main FSUIPC menu to turn all weather settings "off"? That should prevent FSUIPC from doing anything to influence weather. On another menu page is an option for letting FSUIPC control the degree of cloud icing, which I also have disabled.

If that doesn't help, I suppose a re-installation of FSUIPC might be the next option - though you may already have tried that. Deleting the FSX.cfg file, and letting it rebuild on the next start-up of FSX is also something to try - though it can be a bit of a pain, since you will have to reset all of your graphics, scenery and cloud-draw options to your desired settings.

Jim Barrett

I know FSUIPC generates log files in operation - I have never
Hi Jim,

I have retried a longer flight with FSUIPC disabled, the clouds still disappear and clear after I take off from departing runway.

I now think PSX or VisualPSX is confused -- there are 8 different METARS from the different stations in PSX, could VisualPSX be translating them to P3D all at once?

The other issue is that this could be isolated with P3D, and working fine with FSX.
OmniAtlas wrote
Hi Jim,

I have retried a longer flight with FSUIPC disabled, the clouds still disappear and clear after I take off from departing runway.

I now think PSX or VisualPSX is confused -- there are 8 different METARS from the different stations in PSX, could VisualPSX be translating them to P3D all at once?

The other issue is that this could be isolated with P3D, and working fine with FSX.

Could well be. I have not yet tried P3D as of yet. Tonight, I think I'll try a PSX flight into an area of known heavy cloud cover and low vis conditions to give the weather injection feature of VisualPSX a workout - most of my PSX flights to date have been through regions where the real-time weather has been generally good.
OmniAtlas wrote

You're right; this afternoon I happened to notice the same: after some time the downloaded weather still disappears and clears, be it with FSUIPC disabled or not.
Initially it displays correct and if I go into the FSX weather menus, I can find the exact cloud layer altitudes etc at the "specific weather station" I'm at, corresponding to the downloaded METAR in PSX.
However, a few minutes later (this time period appears rather random) weather suddenly disappears both from the outside world and the FSX weather menu, while still being displayed in the PSX METAR window.

But: any non-downloaded PSX weather (selected via the CAT I, II clickboxes or manually changed) will remain correctly displayed for hours on end.

I'm wondering if VisualPSX somehow treats these two weather source situations differently, sends them to PSX in a different way or something..

OmniAtlas wrote

I'm running FSX and have the exact same issues as you do..

JRBarrett wrote
Deleting the FSX.cfg file, and letting it rebuild on the next start-up of FSX is also something to try

I have done so, starting FSX with a freshly rebuilt fsx.cfg, didn't change anything here.

Regards,

Ken
There's an option in FSX weather to have it remain static or to change gradually. Perhaps that has some bearing on the behaviour?

PSX generates METARs for CAT and other scenarios. VisualPSX simply passes these to FSX whenever they change. I can't check this while I am away but I suspect the cause is external to PSX and to VisualPSX.

I hope your testing finds the answer.

Garry Richards wrote
There's an option in FSX weather to have it remain static or to change gradually. Perhaps that has some bearing on the behaviour?

PSX generates METARs for CAT and other scenarios. VisualPSX simply passes these to FSX whenever they change. I can't check this while I am away but I suspect the cause is external to PSX and to VisualPSX.

I hope your testing finds the answer.

Thanks Garry, P3D weather has been set not to change. The weather only clears after a few seconds of injection; I am not too sure exactly what may be overriding it.

I do not have any other addons (besides the FSDT addon manager) installed.

Regards,

Ben

Page: « < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software