Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX Suite released

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... > »

Author Post
Thank you very much Garry for this wonderfull add on .
Gonna love it each second
Ivo :D
Kurt,

Another thing that came to my mind that might be worth trying:

Run a networked instance of PSX on the FSX computer, and let VisualPSX gather data from that same instance. So there will not be network traffic used for the PSX -> FSX connection.
How do I move the airplane in FSX and update it in PSX? the positioning page is not accurate enough.

Also the coordinates for EGLL are incorrect. Eg at 542, charts show 512808.88N 0002846.03W. But PSX is at N51 28.1 W000 28.8.
« Last edit by GodAtum on Fri, 08 Aug 2014 20:31:53 +0000. »
ahaka wrote
Kurt,

Another thing that came to my mind that might be worth trying:

Run a networked instance of PSX on the FSX computer, and let VisualPSX gather data from that same instance. So there will not be network traffic used for the PSX -> FSX connection.

Hi again, Thanks for trying to help me out :)

- will do that next, - in the mean time I have experimented with the setup as per your earlier post and with ALL gfx settings to minimum on FSX i get around 180 FPS and just a little less stutter. The stutter remains more or less unrelated to GFX settings .

I don't know how to assign CPU core to programs in win 7 but i will google it and try later tonight.

My specs for the FSX machine (that is quite old) is:

Core 2 Duo @2,4Ghz
nVidia 8800GT 384GB
4GB Ram
Raid IDE setup
ahaka wrote
That's what I thought. It seems that when FSX is controlled through a network, it puts a rather significant additional load to the sim. Whether it has to do with the network traffic, CPU use or what, I'm not sure. It might have to do with the network not being able to send enough information to FSX, or it could be that VisualPSX is trying to force FSX to sync with the PSX frame. I don't have PSX yet, so I can't experiment with this myself until I get my copy.

I would suggest you try the following:

1. Try running FSX with minimum graphics setting. Try changing the FPS limiter to unlimited vs. locked. If you have any Nvidia vsync tweaks such as vertical sync 1/2 refresh rate, try turning it off/on and see if there's any difference. See if this has any effect on smoothness?

2. Assign visualPSX to use a core on the client machine that FSX is not using.

What are the specs of the computer running FSX?

Hi.

Just ran a cpu utility to see utilization and with just FSX running the first core is at 100%, - and the second core fluctuating between 60% and 100% , - might be the reason for the stutter. I found out how to assign applications to individual cores and it made no difference if I gave FSX one core and VisualPSX the other one. (core 2 was almost idle when Visual PSX was assigned to it)

In the mean time I found out something that might indicate something:

When flying through precipitation its direction in FSX shifted between horizontal and vertical in sync with the stutter IE it seems that the FSX representation of the aircraft hops between full stop and full speed synchronous with the stutter.

I will move visualPSX to another machine and test again later tonight or tomorrow

Thanks
GodAtum wrote
How do I move the airplane in FSX and update it in PSX? the positioning page is not accurate enough.

Also the coordinates for EGLL are incorrect. Eg at 542, charts show 512808.88N 0002846.03W. But PSX is at N51 28.1 W000 28.8.

As mentioned earlier, when using addon scenery in FSX/P3D the artists don't always follow the exact gate assignment coordinates... or runway alignments for that matter. That's why Pete Dowson developed MakeRunways. It's not a major issue, just move the B744 in PSX to it's gate more precisely once you get it close.

Also, in the Instructor Station the aircraft coordinate alignment is rounded off to the nearest tenth of a minute as your numbers above show.

What I have done is position my flights at the scheduled departure gate for all of the airports that I fly out of and save the situation file. So it's available for departure the next time I want to fly out of that airport.

Cheers,

Jon
Flygenring wrote
Hi.

Just ran a cpu utility to see utilization and with just FSX running the first core is at 100%, - and the second core fluctuating between 60% and 100% , - might be the reason for the stutter. I found out how to assign applications to individual cores and it made no difference if I gave FSX one core and VisualPSX the other one. (core 2 was almost idle when Visual PSX was assigned to it)

In the mean time I found out something that might indicate something:

When flying through precipitation its direction in FSX shifted between horizontal and vertical in sync with the stutter IE it seems that the FSX representation of the aircraft hops between full stop and full speed synchronous with the stutter.

I will move visualPSX to another machine and test again later tonight or tomorrow

Thanks

Hey

This could indeed indicate that the stutter has something to do with the network traffic (lost packets or something similar) Thats why it's worth trying the psx+visualpsx+fsx on the same machine.

Given that your cpu is dual core, assigning the cores wont really help.

It could also be that your fsx computer is just simply too slow, although 180fps is crazy lol. Fsx is best run with a quad core, i7 machine.

I will probably get my copy of psx in about a week or so, and I'm also planning to use it on two computers like you. Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Let me know how it goes!
Please check that Nagle is disabled in both SimConnect.cfg and SimConnect.xml. The manual shows the format for each file. An incorrect setting there is known to cause stuttering.

I thought that FSX is known to be essential a single-core application, and not much if any helped by having a multi-core PC?

Perhaps the major benefit from upgrading to a more powerful PC would be to gain access to a faster clock rate, faster RAM, and perhaps faster I/O? Usually, a better video card also comes along with a newer, more powerful PC (speaking in generalities, of course). My understanding is that the video card performance usually plays a big role in FSX frame rates.

I hope my comments and recollections are helpful in some way. I also hope they're basically correct and that I'm not just misremembering these things. I also have to install FSX and see what sort of frame rates at various FSX parameter settings I can get. I recently read (in this forum, I think) that the level of detail in the clouds setting often has a major role in FSX frame rates. I'm sure other things also matter.

A local Ethernet connection should be pretty fast, assuming that one's Ethernet card isn't somehow performance-limited.

Phil Bunch
Hi,

Sadly the FSX have much performance problems like stutter and huge fps flutuation. It have a old code and in 32 bits. It support multi cpu but not cpu hyperthreading.

Not to mention that it have a strong "short cover" problem (when you fix some problems, it uncover others and inverse the same). To a point that if you put it beauty and with less stutter it becames unstable and creates OOM crashes. and how more addons you insert, how more problematic it turns. In FSX sometimes its so strange that you can have between 300 fps to 7 without change options. Or 30 with a complex scenery and aircraft with all configs maxed, then only 10 with a cessna 172 with everything in low in a low complex scenery. Sometimes its a weird and unpredictable experience. The stutter in fsx (that its a super classic of it) for me entirely kills all the immersion and feeling of being there.

To FSX as it is a 32 bits software it will not use more than +/- 3 GB, the important thing is avoid addons that require more memory, because it will not address more than 3GB, so it will pinpoint many times the disk to read textures files and so, creates stutter. As it not supports hyperthreading, even if you have a i7 it will only work with 4 cpu's. Its important to have much Hz as possible on them (a +3GHz is much better than a 2.4 GHz). Finally a decent graphic card always help and the maiority recomends a nvidia one, less issues with fsx (but not means that a ati not works good also). The fsx is more intensive with CPU than GPU if you already have a good GPU.

Regards
« Last edit by on Sat, 09 Aug 2014 01:23:04 +0000. »
Phil,

There is an improvement in FSX when having quad core over dual core. CPU clock and IPC are equally important. PCIexpress bus speed can also play a role under heavy scenery loads.

The OOM issue is easily avoidable if you use FSX for scenery only, as there is no virtual cockpit that would take a huge chunk of memory. Otherwise it's a balance of settings such a texture resolution, autogen density, clouds etc.
Hi all.

I have tried different setups now, - both with PSX and FSX on the same PC, - boost on different PC, same PC and so on, - there is NO variation in stuttering at all. Nagle is disabled in both the XML and the CFG.

I do notice that PSX goes to very low FPS in sync with the big stuttering moments when they coincide on the same PC. I therefore think the problem might be in to low resources on my FSX PC and I need a new one anyway so I'll live with the stuttering until i get the new "Scenery PC"

Thanks for trying to help me out :D :D
Flygenring wrote
I do notice that PSX goes to very low FPS in sync with the big stuttering moments when they coincide on the same PC. I therefore think the problem might be in to low resources on my FSX PC ...

Are you sure no Windows programm is running in the background? Like update checkers, network scanners, virus scanners, etc. pp.

|-|
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Flygenring wrote
I do notice that PSX goes to very low FPS in sync with the big stuttering moments when they coincide on the same PC. I therefore think the problem might be in to low resources on my FSX PC ...

Are you sure no Windows programm is running in the background? Like update checkers, network scanners, virus scanners, etc. pp.

|-|

Drop Box, Cloud Sync software. The are both hungry little devils
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Flygenring wrote

|-|

Yeah that is very probable, - its and old machine and it's been several years since I have done a fresh install of WIN7.

I will jump the boat an roll on a fresh image :)

Thanks !
Dear Garry,

Sorry if I have missed something in the VisualPSX manual, but should VisualPSX be installed on the PSX computer or on the FSX computer? And should the various simconnect items only be done on the FSX computer, leaving the PSX computer completely alone?

I have PSX running on one computer and FSX running on another, and they are properly networked.

Many thanks for the product and for your help.

Michael
Garry (or anyone else who knows the answer),

I am reading the VisualPSX manual right now, and trying to understand how the runway offset works.

During approach, does it offset the runway based on what approach rwy is selected in the FMC?

Is it actually not possible to fly a visual traffic pattern since the runway to be used needs to be known all the time?

What happens if there's a mismatch between the runways?
Dear Garry,

Don't worry, I've figured it out now and have it running.

Many thanks for the product.

Michael
Flygenring wrote
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Flygenring wrote

|-|

Yeah that is very probable, - its and old machine and it's been several years since I have done a fresh install of WIN7.

I will jump the boat an roll on a fresh image :)

Thanks !

If you drill down enough in the Windows 7 Control Panel, it has a fairly good "Resource Monitor" aka "Performance Monitor". It shows separate subpanels for disk activity, CPU usage, memory usage, network usage, etc, etc. It's often helped me to find what's hogging my PC. I have other monitoring software that I use for such purposes, but the built-in MS app is worth trying.

I hope this suggestion helps and that you don't have to reinstall Windows!

Phil Bunch
Hi michael, glad it is working. Happy flying!

Hi Antti,

Both PSX and VisualPSX ignore the FMC and try to determine which runway you are really lining up for. PSX sends data to VisualPSX for its "best guess" airport and runway then VisualPSX tries to match it to an FSX runway. It then applies the offset over a few seconds. You can observe its choice on the status tab.

Try a few circuits at different airports to see how well it works.

Garry,

So if I understand correctly, the FSX world and runways will remain "static", and the offset is applied to the PSX runway data? (FSX changes PSX world, not the other way around)

Once I get my copy I'll be sure to try some visual circuits and let you know how it goes! :) Thanks!
Neither of the two world databases will be changed. The aircraft position data stream will be smoothly adjusted on the fly.

|-|
And to be precise, this means that the FSX position in lat/lon will be "wrong" so that it lines up with visual cues, while the PSX lat/lon will be "correct" with respect to the published navaid positions such as ILS.
Interesting. And you wont even notice this as slewing or jumps in the position?

What if you did an approach like Kai Tak (yes I know PSX does not have Kai Tak) where you line up during the last seconds, wouldnt the adjustment then be late or noticable?

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software