Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX Suite released

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... > »

Author Post
Looking great! How will it compare to VisualPS1 with regards to smoothness? Secondly, will the MSFS engine sound be synced up to the PSX throttles?

Alex
jalexb88 wrote
Looking great! How will it compare to VisualPS1 with regards to smoothness? Secondly, will the MSFS engine sound be synced up to the PSX throttles?

Hi Alex.

VisualPSX is noticeably smoother than VisualPS1 for FS9 and of course heaps smoother than VisualPS1 for FSX which has known bugs that cause jittering.

MSFS throttle levers follow PSX levers for those who want to use FSX engine sounds. I suspect that most users will prefer to use PSX engine and environment sounds instead as they are much better than the PS1 sounds were. Individual PSX sounds instances can also be directed to separate amplifiers and channels for users with complex requirements to provide a very immersive sound field.

[Edited after John's correction.]

« Last edit by Garry Richards on Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:59:34 +0000. »
Garry Richards wrote
Individual PSX sounds can also be directed to separate amplifiers and channels for users with complex requirements to provide a very immersive sound field.

Slight correction there - each instance of PSX will output all selected sounds to the one OS default audio device.

By running multiple instances of PSX, and selecting which sounds to output for each instance, you can distribute sounds individually to different speakers.

VisualPSX is nice and smooth - and it's fun to fly on VATSIM with full transponder, radio, and traffic integration via vPilot / Squawkbox!
I have been testing my setup now with a software called Wideview for FSX. With this software it is rather challenging to achieve the same smoothness as without running over a network.

So, I can achieve the same butter smoothness in FSX that PSX has, but when I start running two copies over network, the smoothness is more difficult to achieve.

So hopefully VisualPSX is performing better than that.

It would be really nice to see someone post a video of it in action. ;)
hi, as an old time PS1 user (yeah i never upraged to 1.3 ;) ) i am very excited to hear about the upcoming PSX.

being very impressed about the beautiful instruments and panels, i was imagining how cool it would be to have PSX with the outside visuals of FSX. only to find out that there will be a way to integrate FSX with PSX with your great software, Garry!

i must say i am very excited about all this!!! :)
For me, there is no difference in using VisualPSX from standalone MSFS.... if anything, it may be slightly better because I don't need to load up a complex aircraft model and systems, I just use a basic, simple aircraft model.
A question regarding FSX behaviour when being `controlled' by VisualPSX...

Do you see any noticeable improvement in the performance of FSX (eg higher frame rates)?

I wondered if (a) having all the information regarding position, speed, alt, track etc etc constantly supplied to it from PSX -> VisPSX -> Simconnect reduces the processing load for the FSX simulation engine or (b) FSX simply continue to do all it's own calculations as if running on it's own, but these results are then continually being overwritten by the data coming in from VisPSX (and therefore there is no net efficiency gained)?

I assume (b) is the case??

cheers
Scud 8)
Hi Scud,

(a) is correct. The FSX aerodynamics engine is disabled by VisualPSX. The FSX aircraft being controlled then becomes just another graphics object with no virtual mass. Turning off the aerodynamics engine has no effect on frame rates that I can see because graphics processing consumes most of the FSX resources.

It's fun to use the PSX instructor's altitude slider to quickly change altitude from ground level to FL400. Under VisualPSX the FSX aircraft copies PSX effortlessly and instantly.

After so many years of PSX development it seems strange to think it will soon be released and quite satisfying to know that there are several high quality addons ready to go or nearing the end of development. Although PSX testing is finished, beta team members are still testing, debugging and further developing addons. Hardy showed great forethought in having addon developers in the alpha and beta teams, which can only be to the benefit of the vestigial PSX owners community.

Cheers,

thanks for that Garry. Very interesting. Of course, I forgot that the image rendering is where the real processing load for PSX occurs. I have been blown away by the selfless work people like yourself have undertaken in augmenting Hardy's creation.

I'm showing my age, but for someone who still has a copy of the original Sublogic A2-FS1 manual sitting on my shelf, to see what can now be achieved with desktop flight simulators is just astounding.

cheers
Scud.
Hello everyone. First post from a long time lurker.

I'm a proud owner of PS1.3 and just recently pre-ordered PSX. I'm quite excited--obviously.

Having read this and the Xview thread, I believe the answer is "no", but I'd just like to confirm: Is there any way to run PSX on a Mac with output (either through VisualPSX or Xview) to FSX or XP10 on a PC?

FAA CPL MEIR
Welcome, Trevor.

You can run an add-on on the add-on specific platform -- while running PSX on any platform that supports Java (Mac, MS, Linux ...).

The Mac (PSX) connects to the PC (scenery generator add-on) via Ethernet cables.

So the answer is: yes.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Trevor "LawyerPilot"!

As PSx is fully multi-platform (Windows, Mc OSX, Linux), it behaves exactly the same... so the answer to your question is: YES! It's exactly that setup I've been running fine for years now!
[edit: Hardy was faster to reply!]
Excellent! Thanks, Hardy and Pierre.

Now, time to go shopping for a MacBook...

FAA CPL MEIR
Hi, just testing atm.

I have been following the manual. Unfortunately VisualPSX is unable to connect to FSX running on the same PC. In the manual, for simconnect.xml and simconnect.cfg, do I need to change the port to 10747?
« Last edit by GodAtum on Wed, 06 Aug 2014 20:23:21 +0000. »
GodAtum wrote
Hi, just testing atm.

I have been following the manual. Unfortunately VisualPSX is unable to connect to FSX running on the same PC. In the manual, for simconnect.xml and simconnect.cfg, do I need to change the port to 10747?

No. The port number in those files is unrelated to PSX. Be sure to follow all the steps in the manual in the correct order (you may have overlooked a step). VisualPSX should then connect to FSX when you have reached the end of page 9.

Another question. What is the easiest way to load the aircraft at a gate?

1/ Somehow get VisualPSX to be locked (maybe I do not understand but this is intermittent)
2/ Use PSX to move the plane into a gate

I have tried this but the gates in PSX do not seem to line up correctly with UK2000 EGKK and EGLL the gates I have tried.
PSX gates are positioned at the exact latitude and longitude that the authority publishes (and that will be printed on a Jepp chart if you have one for that airport). They come out of the same database as the navaids, fixes, and runways. There is no doubt about their accuracy unless you discover a typo (which happens all the time, authorities are not flawless, and this is not a political statement).

If sceneries don't line up, you will need to move around a bit. That can be done at the instructor panel. Just jot down the actual position next to your Jepp gate chart and you can go there next time. Or create a situ.

Hoppie
Actually GSX can teleport the plane to a gate, I'll try that!
Hi Garry.

Got VisualPSX and TrafficPSX up and running but have some questions:

1 What fluidity is to expect, It stutters quite a bit on my setup even though PSX server with boostserver enabled runs between 70 and 72 fps. FSX runs on a different pc at 30 fps stable. The stutter is lowest at cruise, more close to ground. I have experimented with the different framrateoptions in PSX and the result is the same.

2 i cant see any trafic in FSX even though i have ticked Send PSX traffic to FSX. All status fields in VisualPSX and TraficPSX shows green Flight.

I noticed that during initial setup the dotnetfx35setup.exe just ran when clicked- no further dialog or effect was noticed. In my programlist in windows there is only some dotnet4.5 things. Maybe this has something to do with my issues?

Thank you for making this addon :mrgreen:
For anyone interested, I will be trying out the iFly 747 freeware tonight to see if it give more authentic lights.
Hi,
I want to use prepar3D as scenery generator, but it has no default 747.
Tried the link provided in this thread but prepar chrashes when loading it.
The file is copied in to the simobjects/ airplanes folder, do I miss something or do something wrong here?
Thanks
Ivo
Kurt,

Does FSX stutter when you're running it "standalone" without PSX and VisualPSX?
ahaka wrote
Kurt,

Does FSX stutter when you're running it "standalone" without PSX and VisualPSX?

Hi ahaka.

Just tried it and no FSX alone is smooth at 30 fps without stutter under exact same conditions as when it is driven by PSX
That's what I thought. It seems that when FSX is controlled through a network, it puts a rather significant additional load to the sim. Whether it has to do with the network traffic, CPU use or what, I'm not sure. It might have to do with the network not being able to send enough information to FSX, or it could be that VisualPSX is trying to force FSX to sync with the PSX frame. I don't have PSX yet, so I can't experiment with this myself until I get my copy.

I would suggest you try the following:

1. Try running FSX with minimum graphics setting. Try changing the FPS limiter to unlimited vs. locked. If you have any Nvidia vsync tweaks such as vertical sync 1/2 refresh rate, try turning it off/on and see if there's any difference. See if this has any effect on smoothness?

2. Assign visualPSX to use a core on the client machine that FSX is not using.

What are the specs of the computer running FSX?
In the mean time got VisualPSX up and running.
So no need to answeron my previous post.
Thanks
Ivo 8)

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software