Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX Suite released

Page: « < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Author Post
Landing lights, taxi lights intermittent work here for some reason...landing gear is okay.

Running P3D 2.3. Regards.
Hi Garry,

Thanks for your hard work and the new update, (working fine)
I wish you and your family a Merry Chistmas,

Frans Spruit EHAM
Thanks Frans, glad it's ok. Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

After buying a new SSD, I decided to upgrade P3d to the latest version, 2.5. Having finished the upgrade, I ran RunwaysPSX, directed it to the P3d folder but it does not find any airport data within P3d. Anyone have any ideas.
Lockheed Martin made some big changes in P3D 2.5, which made a lot of third party add-ons stop working. Mainly due to renaming folders, placing config-files somewhere else, etc, etc.

My guess is that this is the main reason that you can't find any airport data. Maybe you need to find out where P3D v2.5 has placed scenery.cfg, point RunwayPSX to that folder and run it again?

Edwin
I have already tried that. The scenery.cfg is now under the user/appdata folder. When re-directing runwaypsx to it, it still says no airport data found. Is this because runwaypsx is expecting it to be in the prepar3d folder?
dabok wrote
Lockheed Martin made some big changes in P3D 2.5, which made a lot of third party add-ons stop working. Mainly due to renaming folders, placing config-files somewhere else, etc, etc.

My guess is that this is the main reason that you can't find any airport data. Maybe you need to find out where P3D v2.5 has placed scenery.cfg, point RunwayPSX to that folder and run it again?

That would certainly break RunwaysPSX. It seems that P3D is moving away from FSX so that separate versions of the apps in the VisualPSX suite will be required for P3D. I guess that's going to have to happen.

Mutter, mutter, more work. Sigh.

Garry Richards wrote
Mutter, mutter, more work. Sigh.

Hi Garry,

would it be possible for VisualPSX to send this string to PSX after initial connection?

demand=Qs325

This command activates the ApServo (Qs325) output. This way the checkbox on Preferences > Basics is no longer required.

For reference:
http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=2514

It would be just one line of code :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Hardy,

It's done already in the next version, not yet released. Do you need me to release an interim version with that feature enabled? I can do that in the next few days.

To retain the lexicon based variable assignment I send the demand after processing the lexicon. That way my code never refers to Q codes directly. Is this ok or do you need demands to be sent immediately after connection?

Cheers,

Hi Garry,

if you could release your new version within the next two weeks or so, that would be fine. Thanks!

Sending the demand after the lexicon is correct. You just need to send it before you start listening to ApServo. If your user doesn't need the ApServo stuff (is your animation an option?), then you shouldn't demand it at all.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Garry,

How many times per second does VisualPSX update the position of the aircraft in FSX/Prepar3D? 72 or less?

I'm asking that because of this:
I have Prepar3D running at one (powerful) PC and Visual PSX at another PC running the PSX boost server. I run Prepar3D in 2D cockpit view without panel. When making turns, at say 7000 feet, my view in Prepar3D is not 100% smooth but a little bumpy. The PSX boost server is running at 72 fps and in Prepar3D I have 30-40 fps.

Where do you think, in my situation, would be the best place (performance wise) to install VisualPSX, at the Prepar3D PC or at the PSX boostserver PC?

Regards,
Nico
Hardy Heinlin wrote
if you could release your new version within the next two weeks or so, that would be fine. Thanks!

OK, will do. :)

Hardy Heinlin wrote
Sending the demand after the lexicon is correct. You just need to send it before you start listening to ApServo. If your user doesn't need the ApServo stuff (is your animation an option?), then you shouldn't demand it at all.

Good. These animations are basic and not optional. No one has requested an option to have them turned off.

Cheers,

kiek wrote
How many times per second does VisualPSX update the position of the aircraft in FSX/Prepar3D? 72 or less?

The nominal transmission rate for high speed data is 62.5 Hz. This will vary slightly depending on how Windows allocates time slices among applications and threads from moment to moment.

kiek wrote
I'm asking that because of this:
I have Prepar3D running at one (powerful) PC and Visual PSX at another PC running the PSX boost server. I run Prepar3D in 2D cockpit view without panel. When making turns, at say 7000 feet, my view in Prepar3D is not 100% smooth but a little bumpy. The PSX boost server is running at 72 fps and in Prepar3D I have 30-40 fps.

VisualPSX communicates through a version of SimConnect.dll that hasn't been updated in years and that may have performance issues. FSX and P3D v1 rely heavily on the CPU for graphics, rather than on the GPU so this imposes limitations during times of heavy processing.

P3D has developed to the point where a separate version of VisualPSX tailored for P3D and using its latest SimConnect.dll is warranted. That would probably lead to improved smoothness. The good news is that this is my next project. :D

kiek wrote
Where do you think, in my situation, would be the best place (performance wise) to install VisualPSX, at the Prepar3D PC or at the PSX boostserver PC?

I have no opinion on this. I would try running it on each PC to see if one offers smoother results than the other.

Cheers,

Hello Garry,
Thx for your explanation.
Garry Richards wrote
P3D has developed to the point where a separate version of VisualPSX tailored for P3D and using its latest SimConnect.dll is warranted. That would probably lead to improved smoothness. The good news is that this is my next project. :D
Great, I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Nico
Hi Guys,

A question with Visual PSX. Does PSX send the date to FSX?

Cheers,

Blake
Great to hear that you are still continuing to develop this software, Garry!

To those asking about the smoothness: I have come to conclusion that no networked solutions can give you 100% smoothness like PSX does, without using some sort of artificial frame creation.

At the moment, the only thing that works for me is the X-Plane 10 with XView, but even though I get constant 70hz from PSX boost server, and my visual computers are running at a stable 60Hz (60fps), there is never a complete smoothness in the visuals unless I enable the "extrapolation" function in XView, which, to my understanding, creates some artificial "frames" to smooth out the visual. Why it is so, is beyond my understanding, as it would seem logical that 70fps of data from the boost server is enough for perfect smoothness on a 60Hz display, but lo and behold, it isn't.
Hi Antti,

how do you know that your FPS indications are constant? How often are they updated? Once per second?

For example, when the indication reads 50, you get 50 frames per second indeed. And you may get a frame every 20 ms. But you may also get 50 frames in the first half of the second, and no frame within the other half of the second. For example! If the FPS indicator refreshes every 1 second, it indicates just the sum of the past second. It says nothing about equal frame distribution within this 1 second.

PSX has two indicators:
- a frame rate indicator (refreshes at 1 Hz)
- a frame time indicator (refreshes after each frame)

The frame time indicator is the green-magenta bar under the FPS digits. The more green, the shorter the frame time. The more steady the bar, the smoother the frame distribution. A momentary flicker towards magenta indicates a momentary frame rate reduction. Such a short reduction will not affect the sum of frames within a second, hence it won't be visible on the frame rate indicator. It will be visible only on the frame time indicator and on moving objects.

Re extrapolation in Mike's XView: I think in Garry's VisualPSX there's an optional extrapolation as well, isn't it?

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Excellent point Hardy. I don't know the update rates of FPS indicators in the other simulators, but they seem to be more than 1Hz in any case.

However, I know that all of the simulators are constant/smooth enough alone (in perception, I'm not claiming mathematically), because my eyes can't detect any judder in their motion. Only when a network setup comes into play, the micro stuttering starts, until the extrapolation is enabled. The only problem with having to use extrapolation is, that if you use multiple computers to drive parts of the visual system, it occasionally causes some disturbances/sync problems, as the extrapolation is done by each computer individually.

So I think you might be right that the frames don't perhaps spread out evenly over 1 second when they are sent over the network. But it really seems to be network related, not that the simulators themselves would have any problems doing their job. Whether it's the network card/switch or the tasking the network traffic puts on the CPU, I have no idea, but something's at play here. For the record, I have tested it with different network cards/switches/computers, and the results have so far been pretty much the same.
OK, if your eyes can't detect any judder, the FPS is obviously constant.

Of course, another way of indicating the FPS is this: Refresh the indicator after each frame, and devide the last frame time (in ms) by 1000 ms. The other simulators probably use this method. The disadvantage is that the indicator digits update too fast to make a short value drop visible. An analog bar indicator shows the smoothness better, I think. Anyway, if you don't see any judder in the graphics, that's proof enough.

|-|ardy
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 12:11:54 +0000. »
Hi,

After a very (very very) long time I decided to connect PSX to FSX.
Since I have FSX Acceleration version I didn't installed SP1 and SP2 (I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem).

I followed the installation instructions (including creating the Runways_PSX_v53.vpx file) and started VisualPSX.

FSX did jump to LLBG (where PSX is) but it wasn't aligned with the runway (26).
I followed the alignment instructions. I set PSX become lights to OFF (got FSX Position Locked in VisualPSX), selected LLBG in the PSX aircraft position page, selected Take-off for runway 26 but in VisualPSX I got "No matching FSX runway found" in yellow.
How come? What should I do (or do wrong)?

Thanks,
Blake Hauswirth wrote
A question with Visual PSX. Does PSX send the date to FSX?

Hi Blake,

Sorry to have overlooked this question. VisualPSX does send the PSX date to FSX but the year is fixed (at 2011 if memory serves me correctly). The month, day and time are all sent and match the settings in the PSX instructor.

Cheers,

Avi wrote
... selected LLBG in the PSX aircraft position page, selected Take-off for runway 26 but in VisualPSX I got "No matching FSX runway found" in yellow.

Hi Avi,

You have found a bug in VisualPSX. :( I don't yet know why it happens with that particular runway at that airport but will investigate.

Cheers,

Hi Avi and Hardy,

I have found and fixed an anomaly in VisualPSX that prevents it from assigning runway offsets in some circumstances. I refer to it as an anomaly rather than a bug because I am not sure if it is due to some change I made to VisualPSX or that Hardy made to PSX. In any event it was a one line fix that will appear in the next update to VisualPSX.

Hardy, the problem was that when changing runways through the instructor, PSX sends data for the runway it is leaving before sending data for the new runway. VisualPSX will now ignore repeated runway data so no change to PSX is required.

LLBG runway 26 is a different matter. There appears to be an error in the PSX runway database. When you select runway 26 from the list in the instructor, PSX moves to runway 26 but sends data for runway 21 instead. VisualPSX then cannot reconcile the two.

I have now cleared all known bugs from the VisualPSX suite and have finished adding new features. I will be able to release it shortly after I have updated the manual and other documentation.

Cheers,

« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:10:25 +0000. »
Hi Garry!

As I posted in the "lock" thread (http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=27713#post27713) but forgot to cross-reference here:

"...with my PSX aircraft at a stand at Heathrow EGLL" [stand 534, if I remember correctly] ", selecting runways 09L or 09R results in the VisualPSX message "No matching FSX runway found". (Although runways 27L & 27R perform as expected).

(I'm using the Aerosoft version of Heathrow, incidentally...)."

I mention this just in case you may wish to test the new version at EGLL prior to release. ;)

Cheers,

Brian

Page: « < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software