Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

PSX - Google Earth tracking

Page: 1

Author Post
Hello all!...

a question to those code cutters out there...

One of the utilities I have found really useful in my FSX setup is the FSXGet tracking utility (kudos Jurgen Treml) which allows me to see/review my 3D flight path progressively captured in Google Earth as I fly along. Some here may be familiar with it.

Anyone with knowledge of developing GE applications and the data interfaces from PSX have thoughts as to how involved developing an app of that kind for PSX would be???

best to all

Scud.
Hi
Appreciate it does not answer your requirement fully, but a utility I use takes an FSX flightplan and creates - I think a kml file - that you can display the static route in Google Earth.
At lunch now, but I can provide name if of interest.
Carl
Hi,

Martin E. has already written such a tool for PSX:

User posted image User posted image User posted image User posted image User posted image

The screenshots show PSX and Martin's addon running on the same computer. PSX's desktop frame has been scaled down with the mouse to be in line with the GE window. It runs very smooth on my iMac. GE just doesn't bank and pitch yet.

Cheerio,

|-|ardy
Very nice indeed.. :D
Great news!!

thanks for the replies folks.

Scud
Fantastic!

ps. you may want to turn on photorealistic atmosphere rendering on Google Earth, the Andes looks superb using it.
... or just use XPlane or FSX / Prepar3d for the outside view...

;)
When typing my original query I had wondered whether we could use such a utility for adding some simplified `out the window' realism to ground ops (such as following taxiways etc).

I would have been happy simply to have my flight path output to GE so I can see it in a plan view - for an effect like `Airshow'. This is what I use FSXGet for running on a separate machine to my FSX install.

Should have known a few people were way ahead on this already!!.

chrs
Scud
Hello,

with the pending release of PSX, could someone (Martin??) advise if/when this Google Earth/PSX addon might be available for release??

cheers
Scud
Hello All,

well, the fact of the matter is that I am actually still debating with myself if or if not to release the thing to the general (PSX) public at all; there are some snags and various limitations.

At the moment I am a bit short of time, but I'll explain in detail later, in another post here; and then let's see how it goes.

Cheers,
Martin
Ok Martin, thanks for the update....

chrs,
Scud.
« Last edit by martin on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 06:49:56 +0000. »
Hi Martin,

thanks for your detailed update.

As I was the one who initially raised this topic, I would like to clarify what I was asking about.

I had no intention of using this as a scenery generator to fly the aircraft with - I would personally use FSX. What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to follow along my route as it progressed in a top-down view in GE or alternatively save the route I had just flown in PSX as a .kml so I could later display it as a path in GE. I have noted in your post that the `draft' add-on does not do that kind of function (without yet more work on your part).

Like you mentioned the thing that appealed to me is the world-wide coverage of GE, the fact that it is updated semi regularly and I just find it fascinating to correlate where I have flown over in my sim with the detailed 'real world'.

Hope that clarifies what I was on about!

thanks and cheers
Scud.
Hello Scud,

thanks for the comment.

Yes, I understand, and what you have in mind is currently not possible, alas.

But there is an idea here: It might be feasible to use the PSX_Earth application's "skeleton" (i.e. drop all the "scenery viewing"/"belly cam" stuff), to see if it can be re-used in a separate dedicated "pure route/waypoint viewer" type of thing.

It would be an alternative to adding the route/waypoint display functions to the existing PSX_Earth. But I'd have to investigate carefully which one requires more work / involves more complications.

I'll think about it.

Cheers,
Martin
Thanks for looking at it Martin.

It would be an ideal application (as far as I am concerned) if it could be done that way ref your workload.

thanks and best wishes
Scud.
Hi,

I'm saying release it. As you said, there are advantages and disadvantages to the software but let the user to decide if he/she can use it or not, if it is a good thing for him/her or not.

Don't be too worried there is no flight track or future waypoints in PSXE as there were in the previous version for PS1, PSX has it on a map (something PS1 didn't have).

Cheers,
Call it a "Proof of Concept" - that takes any pressure off with expectations :)
Good idea. Or "public Beta", that's is a nice CYA stratagem, too. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Martin "What? Me? PSX_Earth? What's PSX_Earth??" E.
Update

PSX_Earth has now been released.

See announcement here.

Cheers,
Martin

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software