Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Screenshots of last Alpha version

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 >

Author Post
Haha, thanks! I (think) I understand your point! Indeed, the 737 Terrain display is updated "in sweeps.." ;)

Thanks and sorry for bothering you with that ;)

Berni
Hi Hardy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-cNkqBi-E

I captured a short video of the 737 Terrain Display. First part on the ground in Basel switching through the different ranges, second part in FL330 or 350 over the alps.

Berni
« Last edit by Berni on Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:56:26 +0000. »
User posted image

here are some information ;)
User posted image

;)
Hello Hardy H,

I am impressed, that is really great ...
... for me after that long pause on using PS1 ...
... I cannot believe, that there was such a progress ...
... I am surprised, that you proceed with the development ...

THANK YOU.

One question - may be already discussed, but I do NOT konw it:

On which platforms the PSX can be used ?

Linux ? Windows ? Apple ?

Thanks
Chris (@ LOWW)
All three!
Super :D thanx !

Chris
Super Awesome...

Amazing!!

:D ;) ;)
Let me just chime in expressing my congratulations on what looks to be an epic piece of software. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Great job Hardy!

Cheers

- Balt
the only way to get a sweep is to use the WX radar
The terrain feature is a function of IRS, FMC database and radar altimeter
it is the new EGPWS... it basically uses database matched to IRS position to show all high terrain
then to be incredibly accurate it uses the RA (Radar altimeter) feature below 5000' barometric altitude
that would be 5000 AGL
That's not quite correct, mad hatter. Where did you get this information from?

the mad hatter wrote
the only way to get a sweep is to use the WX radar

No. The TERR raster uses the same raster data bus that the WXR uses and it generates the same sweep effect (4 seconds from one side to the other). Just look at it next time when you are in the cockpit. Or watch one of those cockpit videos, e.g. Berni's above.

If you mean "sweep" as a synonym for radar beam, then yes, the EGPWS doesn't send radar beams. What I meant by "sweep" in this discussion is the "wiping" effect on the ND.

the mad hatter wrote
The terrain feature is a function of IRS

To get the current aircraft position, it primarily uses GPS positions. If that fails, it uses the position of the left IRS.

the mad hatter wrote
FMC database

EGPWS is independent of the FMS. The terrain elevation database is stored in the EGPWS. The FMS has no such database.

the mad hatter wrote
and radar altimeter

The RA is used for various parameters inside the alert logic, but not for the generation of the TERR raster on the ND. The RA knows only the terrain that is below the RA antennas, not the terrain that is in the vicinity of the aircraft. The "E" in EGPWS means that it is an enhanced GPWS, i.e. it does not only look below using the RA, it also looks ahead using a database.

then to be incredibly accurate it uses the RA (Radar altimeter) feature below 5000' barometric altitude

Barometric? That would be useless over Mexico City.

below 5000' barometric altitude
that would be 5000 AGL

Don't try this in Denver. Barometric, if not set to QFE, refers to MSL, not AGL.

|-|
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sun, 04 Aug 2013 21:07:35 +0000. »
I meant radar sweep the line that goes across the screen... ( i need to choose my words more carefully) will get cockpit video of it as it functions in the 744 after the 6th of this month. :-)
Here's a short 744 video (copyright John H Watson). The aircraft is parking, i.e. the terrain raster on the ND is stationary. The EGPWS terrain sweep is not visible when the video is paused. Only when the video runs, the sweep becomes visible because that yellow and red dot pattern is changing from image to image. Each new image is drawn over the previous image from side to side by the sweep system.

Just click on the pic to load the video. When the video viewer is loaded, you can also move the video position slider with the mouse back and forth -- and this filmed sweep will follow your mouse accordingly. Focus with your eyes any point on the image and wait until the sweep goes over it. You will see that the dot texture changes slightly from sweep to sweep.

User posted image

|-|
Mad Hatter wrote
The terrain feature is a function of IRS, FMC database and radar altimeter
it is the new EGPWS... it basically uses database matched to IRS position to show all high terrain

Just to back up what Hardy has said.

The FMC has no terrain database as such. It does have altitudes of airports, runways, nav stations, etc, but a proper terrain database has to be loaded directly into the EGPWS computer, which I've done myself on a number of occasions. The EGPWS also has it's own runway database. In most cases the aircraft uses "geometric altitude" (aircraft altitude determined by GPS satellites) and a GPS-derived position.
The whole point of the EGPWS terrain function is to get away from the inaccuracies of the traditional 744 sensors (baro altimeters, IRS, etc) and the non-forward looking Radio Altimeter. It's only when satellite coverage is low that the EGPWS is forced to use the old sensors.

Having an incredibly accurate Radio Altimeter is still not going to stop you flying into a vertical cliff or steep-sided mountain ;)

Regards,
JHW
Psssssst ... Benson ... please replace your large avatar image with a smaller one ... like this one ... it will save a lot on bandwidth and also speeds up the correct sizing of the Forum.

Hoppie

User posted image
Ouch - yes please do :)
I'm awaiting this video with baited breath. I thought you were on the 767 Mad Hatter?
And "744", too.
Hi Hardy!

Wow, we're really lucky on this forum to get one of the very rare real-world captains who currently flies both the 767 and the 744. Sure it must require a well-trained brain to know every single subtile difference in some systems that could appear from quite similar, when seen by people not working in real-world aviation...
well seems John has already done that... so what was the point of a duplication! but since I am at it.. what small vid would you like? naturally whist the aircraft is in flight I assume from the flight deck the 744...

and be detailed as in "I want to see this doing that":
the mad hatter wrote
well seems John has already done that... so what was the point of a duplication! but since I am at it.. what small vid would you like? naturally whist the aircraft is in flight I assume from the flight deck the 744...

and be detailed as in "I want to see this doing that":

Will you film it yourself?
"I want to see this doing that. "

I want to see you flying a 747, or a 767, or a 777.
I don't visit for a while and then when I do, I see these fantastic screenshots.

Hardy, my mouth is watering!

73 Keith.
Thanks, Keith.

Hopefully, some day I'll be offering to you some bread :-)

|-|

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software