Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Screenshots of last Alpha version

Page: < 1 2 3 4 > »

Author Post
Congratulations Hardy, that's a work of art! Can't wait!!!

I have a few questions for you:

Geek question: did you end up programming the entire simulator using just Java2D? if so, I'm amazed at what you achieved in terms of the FPS!!!

User question: I see you have neatly implemented the EGPWS/TERR feature in the ND, when using PSX without FSX/X-Plane/FG as external scenery generators, what can we expect in terms of how the outside will world look like? I've seen from the screenshots nice things as dusk/dawn transitions and even some cloud layers. Will runways be rendered as solid polygons or as PS1-style runway lights only? How about mountains? taxiways? I understand this is probably outside the scope of the project, but I had to ask :-P

Thanks in advance Hardy!
cheers
-Enrique
Hi Benson Wong,

thanks! I'm sorry, the beta team is already complete. Thank you anyway!

Hi Enrique,

thank you! Yes, Java2D. There are also some 3D animations, I've programmed these with Java2D as well.

No polygons, just dots ("lights"). If you connect Garry's FSX scenery interface, PSX receives elevation data from FSX. If you connect Mike's X-Plane scenery interface, PSX receives elevation data from X-Plane.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
bensoncpwong wrote
great to here that some good news it is a great 744 . i hope i can become a test with this plane

Hello, Benson.
Did you see this topic?

http://aerowinx.de/forum/topic.php?id=1283

The files are quite difficult to create (They are a good challenge for engineers, especially those engineers who only have access to Maintenance Manuals).

I see your TCAS test has a male voice. Do you have any sound recordings of Cathay EGPWS callouts?

Cheers
JHW
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Yes, Java2D. There are also some 3D animations, I've programmed these with Java2D as well.

Awesome work Hardy, you certainly have achieved something remarkable considering Java2D limitations!

I look forward to buying you a few beers one of these days to bombard you with questions regarding the development! :mrgreen:

Saludos!
-Enrique
... considering Java2D limitations!

I think a good story can be written in almost any language :-)

Or, in other words, with red, green and blue you can paint almost any picture :-)

|-|

And I just noticed that it is possible to create a professional handbook layout with Scribus just as well as with Adobe InDesign. One just need to know where the essential tools are hidden.
I think a good story can be written in almost any language :-)

Or, in other words, with red, green and blue you can paint almost any picture :-)

That is so true! let me just say you are really making quite a statement in terms of the kind of magic you've been able to accomplish in PSX with just RGB :-)

I will spread the word regarding PSX to a few fellow geeks I know in the Java graphics / gaming world (a few of them work at Oracle in the Java team) ... I'm sure many will be impressed with what you've achieved!

And I just noticed that it is possible to create a professional handbook layout with Scribus just as well as with Adobe InDesign. One just need to know where the essential tools are hidden.

Agreed... Scribus is pretty nice!

cheers
-Enrique
john yes!

John H Watson wrote
bensoncpwong wrote
great to here that some good news it is a great 744 . i hope i can become a test with this plane

Hello, Benson.
Did you see this topic?

http://aerowinx.de/forum/topic.php?id=1283

The files are quite difficult to create (They are a good challenge for engineers, especially those engineers who only have access to Maintenance Manuals).

I see your TCAS test has a male voice. Do you have any sound recordings of Cathay EGPWS callouts?

Cheers
JHW
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Voice-ATC is not implemented yet. That's the last missing feature and will come with the next version.

Hardy, will voice ATC be "basic" as it was on PS1 or more detailed?
Thank you and congratulations on these screenshots!!
I don't know yet.

I don't want to spend too much time on this. It's rather a bonus feature.
Hardy Heinlin wrote
I don't want to spend too much time on this. It's rather a bonus feature.

Well, Hardy, please, let me disagree on this. A good ATC system is important in order to fly the aircraft the correct and realistic way. If PSX comes with a basic ATC system, there will not be other developers producing an ATC addon like in FS, and the only way will be flying online, but flying online is realistic only if you have a first officer who does the communications while you fly the airplane. I think that having a good ATC system will even further highlight the incredible features of this airplane... (I say this after several years of experience with PS1).
Creating a complex ATC system would probably delay this simulator for months, if not years! X-Plane has tried, it took many time, and from what I hear, it's far from perfect. And they have a team of more than 10 people working!

Maybe it's something that can be improved after the initial release?
Hello Hardy,

thanks for the nice shots. And I love the message, that the Alpha state is coming to an end.
This is what I just saw from "outside" (in german)
http://www.simflight.de/2013/07/09/aerowinx-precision-simulator/

It seems a lot of people are waiting eagerly for the Release-Day :-)

Peter
I agree that programming a robust ATC model could delay PSX for months.
I'd rather wait for a later addition to the simulator of a competent ATC system built by Hardy himself, or wait until someone develops an external add-on, than have a rushed-in attempt that could seriously impact the immersion and tarnish the simulator user experience.

My $0.02

-Enrique
Looking fantastic Hardy.
Thanks for the pics and news.
Carl
Alec246 wrote
Creating a complex ATC system would probably delay this simulator for months, if not years! X-Plane has tried, it took many time, and from what I hear, it's far from perfect. And they have a team of more than 10 people working!

Maybe it's something that can be improved after the initial release?

"far from perfect" is an understatement. You are being kind :-)

An accurate voice system would require a lot of time, maybe months, I agree on that.

BTW: "MASTERPIECE" is the word for the screenshots I have seen. This is a great work.

My only worry is that the final sim is going to be too expensive for us amateurs ... Ok, let's cross our fingers :-)

Andrea
Hardy the screenshots are absolutely amazing! I'm ready when you are!
One question, the terrain Mode looks interesting, never saw that before! Very soft contures.. Is this a new Boeing feature? Comparing to pictures like this one

Your photograph shows the Terrain displayed on the lowest ND range (5nm). The blocked effect is most noticeable at this range. It simply reflects the resolution of the database. The terrain display looks more rounded at higher ranges.

Rgds
JHW
I found one of my pictures with the same range setting than your screenshot has.. of course 737NG.. I understand, that the "soft" terrain image of PSX is due to a indication limitation of the Desktop sims..? or is this also available in the real 744?

http://www.pilottraining.de/archiv/NG-Terrain.jpg

I know - completely different platform, but in the VC FSX NGX the terrain looks pretty much the same then on my picture.. Just wondering if your screenshot showed a new feature..?

Berni
(FO 737)
or is this also available in the real 744?

No, your 737 ND has certainly the same pattern as the 744.

I think the goal of the designers was to provide a look & feel that is similar to the WX radar, yet not completely similar to avoid confusion. That is, you get a random dot pattern from sweep to sweep so that you see the sweep is really updating the image. But this random dot pattern is structured so that it can't be confused with the patterns of WXR objects.

|-|ardy
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:08:33 +0000. »
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:04:32 +0000. »

Page: < 1 2 3 4 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software