Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

PSX 747-400 Model File Generator

Page: 1 2 >

Author Post
Hi ALL,
We are trying to create model config files for PSX for every 747-400 currently flying and if available also Legacy 747-400's to ship with PSX when it is released.
But we need your help?
Joe Corrigan has created a very simple web based application for people to fill in if they have any or all of the details available.
The link is here
https://joe-corrigan.squarespace.com/744-config-data

A list of all the current Fleets are at Hardy's link and this will be updated as we compile the new ones.
Some will be very hard to complete or to get the information required.
http://aerowinx.de/forum/topic.php?id=1267

So Pilots, dig out the manuals, Look at pictures or videos on YouTube and lets find the information.
If we get duplicates we can compare the files to come up with correct settings.
this is your way to help contribute to PSX shipping with a very extensive database of 747-400's
If you have any questions post them here or contact Joe Corrigan directly on
joe at joecorrigan.org
Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers,
Matt Sheil
Thanks Joe!
I am on it!!!!

Leave the BAW & SQ F birds to me initially.....

BAW operate what they call 'HEAVY' & 'LITE' versions with a number of different seating options, the main differences are the lack of STAB Tank on the 'LITE' version with a lower MTOW but higher ZFW than the 'HEAVY' aircraft.

Is this going to be simulated?

Do you want the BAW birds in storage in the US included?...the oldest 2 in the fleet have already been scrapped at Cardiff.
« Last edit by G-CIVA on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 04:46:28 +0000. »
No worries guys,

Would be nice to have a few historical ones in there too - I have managed to get some details for SAA's bird ZS-SAX, but any details however small will go a long way. Just be sure to fill in only what you know - the rest leave blank - will make the collation a lot easier and the end product a lot more accurate.

Cheers,

Joe
G-CIVA wrote

Is this going to be simulated?

Check the screenshots in the aerowinx URL Matt posted above - these show the options available for configuration...

There is a Stab tank option ...

Any ship with a combination of these options can be simulated I guess!
« Last edit by G-CIVA on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:45:39 +0000. »
Hi,

these variants cannot be modelled:

BCF = Freighter without nose door, pax model converted by Boeing
BDSF = Freighter without nose door, pax model converted by Israel Aerospace
LCF = Large Cargo Freighter (Dreamlifter)

All freighters in PSX have nose doors etc.

Max weight: The physical model in PSX doesn't care about non-physical laws. If the bureau has decided that the limit shall be XXX tons, you can still load YYY tons in the physical fuselage -- just as you can fuel the left wing only even though it's not allowed nor wise to fly with a fuel imbalance. Remember, PSX is a flight simulator, not a flight planner. It models physical laws, not legal laws. A fuselage is a fuselage, and can be filled anytime, be it with humans, elephants or gold bars.

The last sentence was a rhyme.

Credits: I'd like to mention the (real) names of the model file contributors. If somebody wants to stay anonymous, please leave a note *.

Thanks!

Cheers,

|-|ardy

* I didn't mean to say leave a 5-$-note to stay anonymous. Leave a note like "Don't mention my name"!
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:25:57 +0000. »
I've found that a lot of the photos online are quite old and shouldn't be relied on for accuracy unless we are providing data for historical aircraft. Perhaps the date of the data should be reflected in the % value.

E.g. GPWS callouts can be changed at the drop of a hat. Fuel Flow/Drag Factors can be changed monthly. Fleets may be progressively updated with LCD displays. However, LCD MCPs may be fitted one day, but replaced with non-LCD MCPs due to failures and nil stock of newer types.

Perhaps Joe's program could be programmed to allow for notes on data?

Rgds
JHW.
P.S. A question for Joe.

I have details for some aircraft which I would consider to be 95% correct, but certainly not 99% or (as bad as) 75%. What should I put? :P

You can have access to pilots and engineering manuals in which the data is only a few months old, but still not have access to the aircraft (for things like RMI needle colours, MCP config, FF/Drag Factor, etc ). Also, sometimes manuals are wrong. For example, during analysis of a fault which was discovered during preflight checks, the F/O was looking at the AOM (general background reading, not as a faultfinding reference) and quoted something which both the Captain and the engineer knew was incorrect (from experience).
Hi John, I will add a 95% option for you :D

I very much appreciate that these things might not be exactly up-to-date, but we can only do the best we can. Thanks for your assistance.

Joe
Right I have completed the Singapore Airlines Cargo airframes as follows:

9V-SFD
9V-SFF
9V-SFG
9V-SFJ
9V-SFK
9V-SFL
9V-SFM
9V-SFN
9V-SFO
9V-SFP
9V-SFQ

The following airframes...

9V-SCA (formerly 9V-SPA)
9V-SCB (formerly 9V-SPE)

...are BCFs...as Hardy has indicated these are former PAX models converted by Boeing into the freighter role without the nose door.

What is the consensus?

Joe has suggested they are done as a COMBI - then the side cargo door will be visible on the DOORS EICAS Page. I have access to the necessary data, should I do them as "plain vanilla" PW engined freighters like their sisters, as PW COMBIs - or leave them out altogether?

Air India next.
« Last edit by G-CIVA on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:40:16 +0000. »
I would suggest to remove the BCFs completely unless it's for an airline that operates no other variant than the BCF or BDSF, in which case the combi might serve as a good compromise indeed, I agree.

(The differences between the combi, pax, freighter, ER etc. are very complex, it's not only about the doors.)

Cheers,

|-|ardy
By the way, the option "Minimum runway length" is not a real avionic feature.

Background:

PSX contains airports whose longest runways are at least 1400 m long. They appear in the outside view model, in the elevation model, in the COM radio model, on the Instructor map, in the FMS nav database and on the ND map as cyan colored circles.

These circles on the ND can produce a lot of clutter. Normally, 744 operators don't have these small airports in their nav database, so they don't appear on their ND anyway. PSX, however, does have these airports. To avoid clutter, the above option can be used to reduce the clutter.

I suggest to use a value of 8000: All airports whose longest runways are at least 8000 feet long will appear on the ND when the APT mode is on.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Joe Corrigan wrote
Hi John, I will add a 95% option for you :D

Thanks, Joe!

Also, what will you do in the case of duplicate submissions which disagree? The later file may or may not be the most accurate ;)

Rgds
JHW
Hi John,

If we receive multiple submissions for the same aircraft we will generally go with consensus. If we get fastly differing information I will endeavour contact all the people who made the submissions to determine the most accurate one.

Thanks for that,

Joe
Qantas VH-OJJ uploaded (01 March 2013):

95% rated because:
I didn't have FF/Drag Factors available (and they will change anyway)
The MCP is currently mechanical, but that could change by the time PSX is released.
Qantas seems to modify their GPWS callouts from time to time.

Rgds
JHW
Thanks John,
Uploaded another 10 new models to Hardy Yesterday another 18 in the making.
I guess Hardy will update his list at http://aerowinx.de/forum/topic.php?id=1267

as time permits and when they are included.

Keep them coming guys
Was planning to attack the VIR & AIC fleets next week unless they have been done?
Go ahead Steve - that would be great. No data for either of these yet mate.

-Joe
Waiting for rely from simulator department Air NewZealand. Only 2 aircraft left in the fleet

Derek
A few things are permanently installed, like PVD, rudder trim center switch etc. If you don't need them just don't use them.

VREF speed at bottom of airspeed tape is also a permanently installed feature (appears when Vref selected on CDU).

+100 minimums callout uses a certain sound file in the PSX folder. Airline customers may change the sound file and use their own sounds if desired. (Mono, 16 bit, 22 kHz is sufficient! Don't go higher!)

The selectable 500 ft callout in PS version 10 is the "non-smart" 500 call. If there's enough time, I'll modify it for version 10 already and make the "smart" type permanenty installed (if 500 is selected on the model page).

Thanks!

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Steve Bell wrote
I have also seen a.net images of an LCD MCP fitted alongside the ISFD in the mid 2000's but the 2012 a.net image definately shows a 'mechanical' or 'steam' MCP again which ties in with the info I have from an independant source

Perfectly normal. There are even 747-400ER's flying around with (electro-)mechanical type LCDs. Whatever's in stock, they use.
The IDU's are less interchangeable however, so once they've been changed to LCD, they usually don't go back unless it's an emergency. The ISFD needs major modifications to be fitted (so they won't go back to mechanical types).

Some of our aircraft with older type radar is being retrofitted with the new Collins WXR-2100 (seen in PSX). So, a nice match :mrgreen:
Hardy,

Hardy Heinlin wrote
VREF speed at bottom of airspeed tape is also a permanently installed feature (appears when Vref selected on CDU).

Ok so as I understand it only the selected Vref SPD from the APP REF Page of the CDU & the associated carat on the SPD Tape are displayed on the PFD?

If so can I make a case for the 'show landing flaps' option to be included? I fully understand if this is no longer within the art of the possible.

Hardy Heinlin wrote
The selectable 500 ft callout in PS version 10 is the "non-smart" 500 call. If there's enough time, I'll modify it for version 10 already and make the "smart" type permanenty installed (if 500 is selected on the model page).

Ok also understood...some of the files I have generated might need a little tweak (again) if this option is included.

@ John - thanks for the info...Joe came across some interesting & v subtle differences within the BAW fleet that we have included in one aircraft file, & we have set up the LCD Screen option for pretty much every aircraft file we have done based on the latest info available from at least 2 separate sources.

Thanks.
« Last edit by G-CIVA on Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:01:43 +0000. »
Vref and flaps are displayed in PSX.

E.g.:

25/191

in green at the bottom of the tape.

User posted image

|-|
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Mon, 04 Mar 2013 22:03:09 +0000. »

Page: 1 2 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software