744 Forum

Precision Simulator and so on

Lufthansa have not accepted delivery of the 748i

Page: 1

Author Post
Rumours are it does not live upto the contractual agreements....

Anyone have any other rumors?

LH just changed all the 747 manuals to include the 748i and have pilots in Seattle to pick it up.... Must be something serious.

Maybe the tail tank.
I thought this was old news? Or was that someone else?
That was with Cargolux.

This is ongoing, LH should of been getting it over the weekend.. Pilots had already traveled to Seatle to collect the first one.

LH had already accepted that Boeing could not deliver all it had promised, they agreed to accept the initial aircraft with less range (to be upgraded later I assume) as the initial destinations for the 748i did not require the full rage.

This makes me think there is yet some other contractual issue.
Wikipedia refers to a chance of aeroelastic flutter of the horizontal stabilizer at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8I#747-8_Intercontinental requiring shutting off the horizontal stabilizer tanks until the issue can be resolved.
« Last edit by Richard McDonald Woods on Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:56:10 +0000. »
This issue was known to LH and they had accepted the aircraft (subject to it being fixed at a later date) because their initial destinations did not require the range as provided by the tail tank.

If they are not careful the 748 will become the next MD11 (fantastic aircraft but commercial failure) couple this with how many years the 787 is behind..... Not really the best of positions for Boeing to be in.

Seems that "little European company" has really turned on the sleeping giant.
International competition is never that simple. Just wait until either there suddenly is a patent issue, a suspicious transaction, a disgruntled ex-employee, a military order of several billions, or a trade war.

Boeing will be back. Airbus will never die. They are political animals, not commercial species.

Jeroen
If there is any danger for Boeing (and Airbus) this danger will come from China. Not difficult to estimate the Comac 919 will not be the last jetliner they will develop.

The 929 and 939 are already proposed (twin aisle twin jets as competition for the 787 and A350)

I have seen the latest versions of the Chinese car GPS devices and they are better as TomTom and Garmin. Wisely TomTom doesn't have a marketing in China because they know they have no chance against the Chinese. Nokia will be wiped out very soon. Same will happen to others.

One of these day's the Chinese will do the same as they do now already to al lot of foreign multinationals

Shake hands with them and say "thank you very much for coming here, but we don't need you anymore".

Of course this will affect Airbus also. They already build Airbus by the way in China so the Chinese get the technology.

The Chinese government is also promoting inventing at the moment because at this moment they are to dependable on inventions from the west. In 2011 China was therefore nr 1 in the world with new patents.

In the future I predict only european brands with feeling will remain. For example Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Apple. Chinese know they don't have the feeling to develop a car like a Porsche.

But copying a plane is not that big issue with 1,3 billion people in house.
I hear the Chinesse airlines will only buy their aircraft if they are from the factory in Hamburg... Apparently the ones built in China are worth less on the open market.

How true that is I'm not sure..... However the chap that told me did work for EADS
As far as I know Chinese airlines such as Sichuan Airlines, are flying with A320's from Airbus Tianjin.
Anyway. However I really like the 747-8i I have my doubts about a commercial succes. KLM will phase out the 747's and replace them by 777 and 787 unless Boeing is able to make combi's. And many airllines do the same. Singapore and Japan Airlines phased them out. Cathay is planning to see for a replacement for the 747 fleet and is considering the 777 and also British Airways starts to make tenders for replacements for the 747.

The future for the 747-8i is not so bright I think. The freighter will do but also will have big competition from the 777F.

It surprises me already Lufthansa choose for the 748.
Hello all,

first of all glad to be back on these forums. I am very much looking forward to PSX!!

Now to the topic, on the a.net some members suggest that there were indeed some issues with acceptance - some suggest that 'Germans' were too strict :mrgreen:. However the new delivery date has been set on May 1st, with arrival to EDDF on May 2nd.

So all those around EDDF on that day have your cameras ready! :)

Cheers,

Andrej

Page: 1

744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software