News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Windows XP setup - Bluescreen

Started by Dennis B, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:55

Dennis B

Hello all,

I decided to install Windows XP on another partition of my Toshiba Satellite notebook to avoid problems that I had using my 64-bit Windows 7 with 744IPC and PS13. My harddrive is partitioned as following:

Drive Letter:Label:File System:Size:Type
*:SYSTEM:NTFS:400 MB : Primary (no drive letter, was on laptop already)
C:Earth:NTFS:64,32 GB : Primary
D:Water:NTFS:138,14 GB : Primary
G:*:FAT32:95,32 GB : Logical (intended for Windows XP, no label)

But when Windows XP setup finished loading all drivers and says "Setup is starting Windows", after a while a bluescreen appears. I have tried it with a friend's Windows XP CD, too, with the same result.

So, what could have went wrong here? As you may suppose I'm not a Windows-, but a Mac guy, but bought this cheap notebook a while ago for running some Windows apps on it (and I'm quite satisfied, Win7 64 bit is running very good). Could it be that some hardware component is not recognized? Could it be a bootsector virus? If so, do you know a good way to detect and kill such a virus? My virus scanner (Avast AV Free) did not detect any threat, but as far as I know does not scan the MBR.

Would appreciate any hints, tips, encouragments  ;)

frumpy

I think XP cannot run on a logical drive without a few
workarounds. Put it on an active primary.
Besides that I must say that I never got used to
using different drives. I would use one large
partition, this should work for most needs here.

Dennis B

Thanks Olli,

I also tried to set the partition intended for Windows XP as primary - with the same result as above. I'll give it another try, though. Must be something very low-level if the setup routine crashes into a bluescreen. There are only two partitions on my Toshiba-HD which I created, I just divided the drive into one system and one "working data" partition. I agree that more than two partitions don't make sense with my hardware configuration. But the "SYSTEM" partition was already there and I don't dare to delete it, as it was preinstalled by Toshiba. Don't know if there's just recovery data on it. Do you think I can safely delete it?

frumpy

I had the same thing on my Thinkpad too, just a basic system
backup. I mean these things also work if you put in a new harddrive -
you have the Windows CD and you can find all drivers online.

Still this is no real explaination why Windows gives a bluescreen...
at least a full format would rule out a virus.
If you dont get it done and have a cold beer I could reconsider
my plans for this evening and drop in ;)

Dennis B

I do not have any Windows DVD, the system was preinstalled. There's just a recovery software which I deleted because it auto"magically" installs all the bloatware one does not need, too. A full format - that reminds me of my former Windows days (long ago) which I thought I'd never had to do again. Well, but you are right, this would rule out a virus. Maybe I'll find a way to connect my virtual machine to the "outside network" so Broker on my VM can talk to FS2004 which is running on another notebook. Thanks so far -

Dennis

Dennis B

As it seems, it's all about missing SATA drivers. "Unfortunately", my notebook does not have a floppy disc drive as required by Windows XP for loading the drivers during install  :twisted: Well, so I will end up to make my VM talk to the "outside world" via bridged ethernet; this should work somehow. Thanks for all the advice, anyways!