News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Quick question for language designers

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Sat, 23 May 2009 06:57

Hardy Heinlin

Anyone got an idea for a name of this subforum, instead "Check-in"? Not too kitschy, yet not too dry. And the word shouldn't be longer than "Hangar 1" which is the big main forum.

:-)

|-|

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hardy Heinlin

Should be more off-topic.

"...flight" is too on-topic (hangar stuff).

I'm looking for a physical room or place at an airport, but not directly at the airplanes, more on the general side. Something like help desk, pub, WC, bar, Butler's kitchen ... just less kitschy :-)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Departures? Lounge? I like "bar" as well, it may become an Open Forum though.

martin

Lobby
Chapel
The Pit
Control
Baggage
Windfang

InfoStand
Reception
Entry Hall
Forumforum
Boiler Shed
Engine Room

But only the first six fulfil  the "no longer than 'Hangar 1' " requirement (it's a bit tough...)

My own vote would of course go to Forumforum: It is a location (albeit not a room), describes the purpose, may make people stumble and thus think (or so we hope), and has a touch of the South Pacific (as in BoraBora etc.)
  :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Martin

John Golin

John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

martin

...oh, and for the "Open Forum" (which I expect we'll need very soon):

[size=15]The No Hold Bar[/size]

combining aeronautical and "open" associations [size=8](and "fuel" of course)[/size]...

8)

Phil Bunch

Quote from: JohnLounge?

The word "Lounge" is used at HP's high-performance/gaming PC forum for discussions not related to PCs.  The concept and atmosphere seem to have worked OK for the past year or two, with a very diverse forum membership.  At least it would be clear that it's for things unrelated to 744s or aviation, or to just chat with friends.

Best wishes,

Phil Bunch
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

John Golin

Not sure about Pit - makes me think of car racing...?
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: JohnNot sure about Pit - makes me think of car racing...?
Follow-me-cars! :-)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Phil BunchAt least it would be clear that it's for things unrelated to 744s or aviation, or to just chat with friends.
Lounge is also a typical part of an airport terminal. I think it's not more off-topic than "pit".

The word needs to be as short as possible. I also tested "WC", but ... that was too hard :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Will

I liked "Windfang" until I found out it was a quite prosaic German word.  I liked it because it seemed totally random and had a nice sound to it.  Like Brobdingnag or something.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Brobdingnag and Lilliput ... would be nice to distinguish the weights of the two subforums even more :-)

martin

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinBrobdingnag and Lilliput ... would be nice to distinguish the weights of the two subforums even more :-)
But then (if memory serves) the Yahoos would come in at some point, and I'm sure we don't want them (either way)...  :mrgreen:

Juhu,
Martin

Holger Wende

What about "Pub".
It is short, everybody knows it, everybody likes it, it also exists at most airports and it's the place where people meet and chat about really everything...

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Holger Wende... and chat about really everything...
It's not supposed to be another "open forum".

|-|