News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Starting new threads if original gets "too long"

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Fri, 3 Jul 2009 05:40

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: PhilI thought it best to start a new thread since the initial one now has so many messages in its thread.

In which way is the fact that a thread contains many messages bothersome?

Just asking -- I always want to know how other people use software. Personally I just click on the "First New Posting" small blue icon, and I like to keep things organised in topical threads.

Hardy Heinlin

Perhaps because of pneumatic overpressure in the message manifold? :-)

P.S.: Now you see another advantage of non-threaded boards: The text blocks keep their width, even after the millionth message.

Phil Bunch

After a small amount of further thought, in a state of being more nearly awake (I usually read the PSX forum early in the morning), I now believe I should have posted my note to the original thread.

I think I simply automatically reacted to my experience with other forums in which their structure won't easily accommodate so many messages.  Sometimes the previous PS1 forum got that way, with its indented messages - the width of that threaded forum easily got too wide to fit on my screen.

This forum format is very easy to keep up with and view, apparently without a need to worry about "too many messages"!

If someone knows how to move my message to the original Air France thread, please do so or let me know how to do it!  I guess I could simply cut and paste it to the original thread and ask a moderator/administrator to delete this thread!

Sorry for my confusion.  Hopefully, no substantial damage was done (grins).
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Shiv Mathur

Quote from: Phil BunchI guess I could ... ask a moderator/administrator to delete this thread!

Now that you mention it ... is the facility (that we had on the old forum) to delete our own messages available on this forum?

Shiv

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

No, but you may be able to edit them for a while after posting. And if you were really drunkstupid posting something, just ask Hardy or myself to remove all traces.

Shiv Mathur

... drunk /stupid ...

Well, you're a good judge of people, Hoppie !!

(And please don't say 'it was obvious' ... I'll be shattered !!)

JM1053139

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers
Quote from: PhilI thought it best to start a new thread since the initial one now has so many messages in its thread.

In which way is the fact that a thread contains many messages bothersome?

Just asking -- I always want to know how other people use software. Personally I just click on the "First New Posting" small blue icon, and I like to keep things organised in topical threads.

I don't think it is bothersome at all on forums that use pages. Loading times can get atrocious on some sites (such as a.net) when you have 50+ messages on a single page.
-Jon Monreal