News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

native VATSIM support?

Started by Christian Wiegand, Sun, 8 Nov 2020 18:53

Christian Wiegand

Hello everybody,

I am using PSX sometimes together with MSFS2020 and sometimes with X-Plane 11 and VATSIM connecting to the scenery generator.

All of these solutions seem to have downsides from time to time (ground speed vector and sometimes Mode C not being forwarded). I believe I read somewhere of a project of native VATSIM support. Is there any progress in this respect or am I missing something?

Thank you everybody.
Christian

Toga

Sadly there's no way to do it yet. Here's to hoping!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The main issue remains taxiing. Everybody expects you to see other aircraft and all taxiways. Without this, it is a no-go. Since you therefore always need another sim to generate the scenery, there is no point in a native PSX client.

There are some integration issues with scenery generators but all these are minor compared to the extreme hassle of building and maintaining a PSX-specific virtual airspace client. I tried -- I gave up (for PS1, which had its own issues, but all were overcome in the end, and I still gave up).

Hoppie

Christian Wiegand

Hi Jeroen,

I see and might have gotten an idea what the issue is. However, I kindly disagree that there was no point in a native vatsim support because all the issues we have like forwarding of groundspeed (X plane) and sometimes mode C not being forwarded (recently happened to me in MS2020) would be eliminated. Also I had an issue when the vatsim world had different local QNH than PSX even though all loaded real world weather. However, I can imagine that it isn't easy to have a native vatsim support by PSX.

Thank you
Christian

Gary Oliver

Having had experience of developing for VATSIM with the Audio For VATSIM project.... anything is a faff... Unfortunately not a job I would be willing to take on for the sake of my own sanity.