News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Visual perception of Runway - Uphill

Started by vnangli, Thu, 29 Oct 2020 13:26

vnangli

I was landing in New Delhi international yesterday and just noticed that the RUNWAY lights (Trapezoid) creates a perception of landing and progressing on an Uphill after touchdown relative to the Taxiway lights on to the left.
This repeated again when I was landing on 28R in KORD. Just after touchdown the adjacent runway lights of 28C make the 28R lights appear that I am landing on an UPHILL runway...Basically, they (runways 28C and 28R) dont appear to be in the same plane.

This is not a show stopper, but wanted to know if there is any background behind this...

I am using PSX as a standalone simulator. In the past I have noticed the COCKPIT sunk below the runway (as seen in PSX) when running Xplane as a scenery generator.
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

Hardy Heinlin

That's correct. PSX simulates sloped runways. The slope is linear and is based on the two threshold elevations which are stored in the nav database (the approach light systems are not sloped). You can check the threshold elevation data on Instructor > Analysis > Airport.

When you roll along a sloped runway, the V/S indicator will be out of zero accordingly. When you stop rolling, the V/S is zero.

Note: When a scenery add-on is in use and the aircraft is on the ground, the add-on elevation data overwrites the PSX elevation data. There are always minor elevation differences between different simulator products. When a scenery add-on is in use, you should refer to the add-on scenery and not to the PSX scenery.

|-|

vnangli

747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....