News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Oil consumption

Started by kwieser76, Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:27

kwieser76

HI all

I can remember that in the old PSX1 that there was a Oil consumption modeled. So after a couple of flight i had to refuel the oil.

In PSX it is modeled what i learned in the last days from Hardy.

Can we add this feature also in PSX ?

- Simulation of oil consumption 
- inSituation - Service  and new button for refill oil

What you think about

Regards

Kurt
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Kurt,

I think in PS1 just the APU oil quantity was editable -- to demonstrate the variable APU parameters on the EICAS STATUS page for system training.

Unlike in PS1, in PSX the engine oil quantity indication drops when the engine is runnning (due to oil circulation within the engine), and increases when shut down (oil flows back into the bottom reservoir). So that makes the displays alive in a realistic way like on the real deck. And you can activate oil leak malfunctions (severe or non-severe) for each engine. To refill the oil you just click on the related Repair button. All this stuff is for systems training. I see no point in adding a constant oil leak just to force the user to click a refill button from time to time (when using the same situ file). Is that so exciting?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Last century Flightline had that option, to have the maintenance crew top up the oil for you. And I think it also had the associated option to slightly reduce the oil quantity before each flight, so that over a few flights you developed the desire for a top-off. All this was done by adjusting the .ini files as they were parked back on to the server.

Hoppie

Ton van Bochove

Can't you bring Flightline back to live Jeroen?  8)
Ton

Will

Having an aircraft that ages with time may not serve any role as a procedures trainer...

...but I think it would make a nice art project.

As time passes, JPEGs could be swapped from clean ones to ones with scratches, chipped pain, and dents. Dust could collect on the top of the MCP. Switches and buttons could show random amounts of wear and tear. Oil would slowly be consumed, hydraulic fluid would slowly leak, and the flight efficiency would degrade as the aircraft collects drag. Old engines may take longer to start, and they may start hotter.

The SERVICE page could clean all of this up with buttons like Repaint Exterior, Fix Leaks, Renew Cockpit, Refurbish Engine 1, Refurbish Engine 2, and so on.
Will /Chicago /USA

kwieser76

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Tue, 27 Oct 2020 22:06
Can't you bring Flightline back to live Jeroen?  8)

that would be great
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It's such a massive amount of work... back in the days that I was writing a PhD it was feasible but nowadays I have 1,000 real aircraft to worry about and leisure time isn't in plentiful supply any more.

However repainting JPEGs of a PSX flight deck with signs of wear is an interesting proposition.

Halloween 747, anybody? The flight deck from hell? Dare to take her up for a spin?

Hoppie

Will

For a real Halloween treat, just search for brown pixels and change them to the corresponding Airbus blue... ;-)
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Oh no, they'll turn my baby blue ...

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed, 28 Oct 2020 12:26
It's such a massive amount of work... back in the days that I was writing a PhD it was feasible but nowadays I have 1,000 real aircraft to worry about and leisure time isn't in plentiful supply any more.

it was worth trying. I have good memories about Flightline: many uneventful flights and than suddenly hell brook loose!
Ton

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I think Hardy's current mechanism of various event probabilities that you can set up on the Instructor Panel is actually a good replacement for this kind of effect.

Also randomization of switches is included in the current PSX so you can simulate the previous pilot just not doing it by the book, or maintenance having forgotten to move something back to standard.

Hoppie

Ton van Bochove

I guess I have to study the subject better. I have an annoying "fuel temp sys" on every flight. I put the item in the instructors page on "random" and "once a month" but it keep on popping up every flight.
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

"Fuel temp sys" is one of the minor malfunctions. There are a few dozens minor malfunctions. If you always fly with the random slider in the minor malfunctions range, it's just logical that "fuel temp sys" will appear on every flight. To simulate different minor malfunctions on every flight for several months, PSX would have to simulate hundreds of different minor malfunctions. That's beyond the scope of PSX. CBs included, PSX simulates about 500 malfunctions, most of them are not "minor".

Further minor malfunctions may be things like broken foot rests etc. That would be game genre. Not my style.

|-|ardy

Quote"random" and "once a month" but it keep on popping up every flight.

The "once a month" setting for the fuel sys is useless when the general random slider is out of OFF. Its probability may be higher than "once a month".

Ton van Bochove

QuoteThe "once a month" setting for the fuel sys is useless when the general random slider is out of OFF. Its probability may be higher than "once a month".

So slider and random setting are two different systems!? Next time I set the slider to off and do some random settings. thanks Hardy!
Ton

vito

Quote from: Will on Tue, 27 Oct 2020 22:19
Having an aircraft that ages with time may not serve any role as a procedures trainer...

The SERVICE page could clean all of this up with buttons like Repaint Exterior, Fix Leaks, Renew Cockpit, Refurbish Engine 1, Refurbish Engine 2, and so on.

did you know that FiFLi depletes oxygen (for captain and first officer) every time little by little: reason is that capt and first officer execute their oxygen check (preflight procedures) :-) so, eventually you'll run empty :-)

best regards

vito

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Thu, 29 Oct 2020 06:06
So slider and random setting are two different systems!?

Correct.

The trigger types for each malfunction (heading, altitude, distance, random, etc.) are not linked with the flight phase related random sliders on the "General" page. -- Two worlds.

|-|ardy