News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

NG FMC Issue (real, not PSX ;-)

Started by Mariano, Fri, 23 Oct 2020 23:00

andmiz

Slow news week at AW to take an opportunity to do some Boeing bashing....

All versions have bugs and while this one has a bit more insidious risk, I don%u2019t think it%u2019s keeping anyone awake at night.  Dual resets suck, but the aircraft isn%u2019t going to fall out of the sky.  Fly a basic mode instead of LNAV/VNAV, wait for the reboot, and then program/download the data again.

Mariano

Exactly.

I had all three FMCs reboot (along with A/Ts and A/Ps) on a G550 in Chinese airspace with an 8-mile offset in the middle of the night, and it took all of ten seconds to get back enough automation to keep the airplane from deviating more than one inch in either the lateral or vertical axis.

As you said, no big deal.

Best regards,

Mariano

Hardy Heinlin

One needs an account to read that article. What is it about?

(Does the Gulfstream G550 have three FMCs?)

Mariano

I was not aware of the account issue.

It's about a bug that causes the NG FMCs to reboot, possibly inflight. Can I copy and paste it here? Is that allowed?

Yes, the G550 has three identical FMCs.

Best regards,

Mariano

Hardy Heinlin

It's not allowed, unfortunately.

Will

In PSX it's also a no-brainer:

1. Pull both FMC circuit breakers.
2. Press HDG SEL on the MCP.
3. Reset the circuit breakers within about 15 seconds.
4. When everything comes back on line, select LNAV and VNAV, and it's as if nothing ever happened.

If it takes longer than circa 30 seconds for power to be restored to both FMCs, it gets a bit more interesting, as volatile memory is lost and the FMC route is unavailable until you re-activate and EXEC. VNAV won't be available again until you manually re-enter the pilot-entered data on PERF INIT. ("What was our ZFW again?")

Will /Chicago /USA