News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Linking MSFS to PSX: Early impressions with precision?

Started by Will, Fri, 4 Sep 2020 22:51

Will

Just curious about the accuracy of aircraft position. If you use the PSX Instructor Page to put yourself on a runway, holding for takeoff, does the new MSFS put you in the right spot on the right runway?

Second question: If you fly an ILS down to minima using PSX, are the approach lights on MSFS in the correct spot for a successful transition from instrument flying to a visual landing?

I understand if there are still kinks to be worked out or if nobody has had a chance to test this yet, but it looks like the connection is making progress so I was curious about what the end result might look like.
Will /Chicago /USA

jalexb88

I have used the trial version of WidePSX to connect PSX and MSFS. The runway positions are near perfect, no issues with that in all the airports I've tried. The experience is quite smooth in for the most part, any stutters I got were simply caused by scenery intensive locations that you would expect regardless of the PSX connection.

The only issue that I can see right now and this is not PSX or WidePSX's fault is the weather displayed in MSFS, while very graphically good, does not always agree with the actual METAR... Hopefully Asobo will improve the RW weather mode for displaying precise current conditions at any given airport around the world.

simbro

A problem at the moment is the issue of missing airports.
Some major airports (e.g. EDDS, LEMG, NZAA) simply do not exist in MSFS... It's not much fun landing in a field!

pilotngb

Quote from: Will on Fri,  4 Sep 2020 22:51

Second question: If you fly an ILS down to minima using PSX, are the approach lights on MSFS in the correct spot for a successful transition from instrument flying to a visual landing?

Hello Will,

Made you a quick video of a landing at PANC 07R. Hopefully it gives you the information you are looking for.

Only landed at 4-5 airports so far and not noticed too many issues with "precision." Performance in the 748 is approx. 15 fps less vs. the default C172 on medium/high settings. Still getting 45fps on most occasions. Suffering from microstutters though. Hopefully this will got away in the weeks/months to come.

https://youtu.be/FSQnzeH8i-I

Thanks,
Neil

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

cagarini

Regarding the low performance in airliners in MFS, which have their instrument panels with HTML and XML gauges only ( C++ still not available for that in the SDK ... ), there's a good performance optimization hint here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/small-js-config-file-mod-to-gain-10-15-fps-in-airliners-and-glass-cockpit-planes/221308

or this other one:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/highonsnow-js-fix-15-19-fps-improvement-on-airliners-targeting-specific-instruments/252551

jlpilot

Hey Will,

I'm using the trial version of WidePsx and the early impressions are pretty good ;). I'm also getting micro stutters but I think that's just the sim. Gary's method of deleting the cockpit view didn't work for me yet so still waiting for a fix. I'd love to see a custom exterior 747 model specifically made for PSX & MSFS but that's another topic ;D

https://youtu.be/Pb1rrfenOdc

The aircraft in this video landed ok, but then drifted slightly to the left and corrected itself during the rollout. For some reason my PSX always veers to the left on landing regardless of manual or autolands. I haven't done any investigating as it could be I'm always using the same situ file for testing. Not too worried about it at this stage though.
Regards,

Jermaine.

cagarini

I wonder how PSX passes the weather, particularly the visibility, to MFS, and it deals with it, because there's no way at the moment to directly set pervailing vis in MFS :-/

G-CIVA

Quote from: jcomm on Sun,  6 Sep 2020 12:09
I wonder how PSX passes the weather, particularly the visibility, to MFS, and it deals with it, because there's no way at the moment to directly set pervailing vis in MFS :-/

I think for the moment you might just have to accept that MFS will have to source its WX/VIS from its own independent source rather than PSX.

Looking at p3D/PSX integration for a moment, I personally just let the scenery generator WX engine of choice create the visual WX effects inside the scenery generator independent of PSX anyway.

It has no real effect on PSX now we have the implementation of "WX Corridors" with the NG FMC upgrade.

In time I expect the WX Engine generator programming people will write an aftermarket version of their payware products for MFS. These things take time to mature.
Steve Bell
aka The CC