News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

VisualPSX "Runways_PSX_v61.vpx" file anyone?

Started by RogerH, Mon, 31 Aug 2020 22:07

RogerH

Hardy please forgive me for resurrecting this subject yet again - but it occurred to me that joergalv and Dennis may not revisit the other thread as it has [SOLVED] in the title, so....

Hi Guys,

I'm also trying to use VisualPSX with FSX (SE), but I am getting an error:

"Unable to find runways data file Runways_PSX_v61.vpx"

This is not surprising because when I run RunwaysPSX.exe it creates a file "Runways_PSX_v62.vpx"

Unfortunately renaming the file doesn't work!

I've tried running RunwaysPSX.exe for both 64 and 32 versions of FSX(SE) but get the same version mismatch - it produces a v62.vpx instead of v61.

Any ideas?

EDIT: as a workaround, I guess if either of you has the correct file - Runways_PSX_v61.vpx -  you could just send it to me - and perhaps your version of RunwaysPSX.exe (although I am using the version of VisualPSX in the dropbox link abocve).

Thanks,

Roger.

simbro

Hi Roger,

I found the original zip-file of the VisualPSX build I used in my FSX days and have linked it via Dropbox.
It contains all the latest versions for FSX & P3D1-3.  I can't try it out to see what file it creates (v61/v62) but maybe it will help...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilgkrwcwaarva6g/visualpsx_build_5898.zip?dl=0

Cheers
Simon

RogerH

Hi Simon.

Thanks for chipping in :-)

That's the version I have - build 5898

It's weird. RunwaysPSX.exe produces a file called "Runways_PSX_v62.vpx"

VisualPSX, when run, finds FSX(SE) happily but then hangs with a message that it cant find file "Runways_PSX_v61.vpx" - which is understandable because RunwaysPSX.exe has produced a ***_v62.vpx file!

I had .netFramework4.8 installed, so in case that was the issue I uninstalled that and installed .netFramework4.0 (as mentioned in the VisualPSX manual) - buit still no joy.

My post, really, is to see if anyone has the v61 file on their drive and just send me a copy of that. I'm sure PSX and VisyalPSX will not know it came from another PC!

I am guessing I have a compatibility issue somewher, but that's as far as my IT knowledge goes.

Anyway - thanks for the link. Hoping someone can help - because it looks as if this is going to be the way we connect PSX with MFS2020 for now, so I need it working!

Cheers,

Roger.

simbro

I've just had a quick read through the VisualPSX docs in the zip-file and noticed that v6 is tailored to work with FSX, FSX-SE & P3Dv1...

RunwaysPSX reads the registry and then lists the sims that it finds in the 'simulator' box. Depending on which sim is selected on pressing 'go' it will produce a  '_v6x.vpx' file (v6.1 = FSX, V6.2 = FSX-SE & v6.3 = P3Dv1) based on the selection.
In your case it creates a v6.2 file because you have selected FSX-SE...

However, when VisualPSX is run it opens a SimConnect session and gets the 'Sim-identity' from this connection! In your case it would seem to be FSX (not -SE!) as it's looking for a v6.1 file...

Could it be that you have installed the FSX SimConnect.dll rather than the FSX-SE version and VisualPSX thinks it's connected to FSX? ..or there's an issue with your SimConnect.cfg...

Have a read-up of the 'What is the startup sequence for each application?' section at the bottom of the VisualPSX  Suite document where it's explained.  Maybe this is the problem?

Cheers
Simon

PS. I have used the payware tool 'WidePSX' to connect to MSFS very successfully! If only the MSFS SimConnect wasn't so buggy it would be perfect!!

RogerH

Thanks Simon I'll have a look - your input is much appreciated :-)

RogerH

Hi Simon,

I've had a look  in the archive and there are three Simconnect.dll files provided, one for FSX, FSX-SE and P3Dv1, in the "Version 6 for FSX, FSX-SE and P3Dv1" folder - the other two are in the Version 7 and Version 8 folders, both specifically labelled for P3D's later versions.

I think you're right about it being a Steam Edition issue though, but why the RunwaysPSX.exe and VisualPSX are on different pages is a mystery.

There is some talk in the section of the manual you mentioned, about FSX-SE causing problems if FSX original is not installed  that's my case, so I'm wondering if that's the cause?

RunwaysPSX is definitely telling me it's found FSX-SE - I have a choice between 32- and 64-bit versions - but they both give the same result of a v62 file.

I think you may be right about it being a Simconnect.dll issue, but I'm not sure how to make sure the two programs (RunwaysPSX.ex and VisualPSX) are singing from the same hymn-sheet! It would appear that RunwaysPSX.exe is finding FSX-SE and producing the correct .vpx file - version 62. But VisualPSX still thinks it's connecting to FSX original.

It's telling me it's "connected to Simconnect versio 10 running in Microsoft Flioght Simulator X at IP adress 127.0.0.1, Port 29764" - so I think you've hit the nail on the head - VisualPSX thinks I' running FSX original somehow.

But, and this is the real question, how do I tell it it's not, lol?

Cheers again,

Roger.

simbro

Hi Roger,

I'm afraid I can't be of much use here as I've never had FSX:SE and therefore don't know what gets installed and where.
Here is a doc which may help in troubleshooting the problem.. I suspect that you don't have the necessary SimConnect.dll installed to 'enable' VisualPSX.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv126gcuygz4l1y/SimConnect%20Understanding%20%26%20Troubleshooting.pdf?dl=0

Cheers
Simon

RogerH

joergalv

Hi Roger,

I'm afraid i can't provide a solution or hint, unfortunately. Haven't used VisualPSX for years.
Nonethelss, here's a link to an older VisualPSX build, which you might want to check if it resolves your issue.

Good luck.
Joerg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6mi2lxuoaqu3r7/visualpsx_build_5821.zip?dl=0