News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

747 walkthrough from a hacker's perspective

Started by mgeiss, Wed, 12 Aug 2020 11:37

GodAtum

Looks like ex BA and one Gary might have had parts from!

John H Watson

Too much "improvisation". Examples:

You won't be able to get into the cargo from the MEC if there are cargo containers in there. They fit too tightly. The door opens into the cargo compartment.

Overemphasis on most cables going to the cockpit from the MEC. I'd say most cables will go to the airframe and other boxes in the MEC.

"Cables from the yokes to the control surfaces" is a slightly misleading statement.  There are no flight controls which don't use hydraulic assistance on the 744.

It's definitely not a chore to update the nav data base each month. It was a chance to sit down for 15 or so minutes and get paid for it. It was something you had to keep an eye on. I was the dog that bit the pilot/engineer's hand if they went anywhere near the electrical panel. Database downloads didn't like power interruptions.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: John H Watson on Wed, 12 Aug 2020 23:45It was a chance to sit down for 15 or so minutes and get paid for it.

Yup. That's why those same people now pay me to replace those diskettes by over the air magick.

Quote from: John H Watson on Wed, 12 Aug 2020 23:45
Database downloads didn't like power interruptions.

Uploads    :-)       Downloads are flight data from the QAR.    :-)

Just as much as new software uploads to the avionics hate power interruptions. And yes, this is a headache for all over the air magick, because I don't have a dog up there. Would have loved to. Grrrrrr... hap hap.

Hoppie

John H Watson

QuoteUploads    :-)       Downloads are flight data from the QAR.    :-)

Good point. I guess I was thinking of the physical direction in which the data is being transferred ) Data is transferred from the dataloader (diskettes) down into the units in the MEC.

You can download BITE data, however, using the dataloader.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Exactly.

The original meaning of the words comes from you being the small guy at the computer terminal and somewhere is the Big Iron mainframe.

With aircraft you also have silly other conventions. Data comm, such as ACARS, has uplinks (ground to air) and downlinks (air to ground). But then you start doing it over Iridium and suddenly people want to talk about an uplink to the satellite, which means that then the route back to the airplane becomes a downlink, and the whole thing blows up. And if you realize that satellites are extremely dumb machines that don't even (meaningfully) buffer a bitstream, they are mere amplifying mirrors, the whole concept of uplink to the satellite becomes silly.

Hoppie