News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

weather systems

Started by Jason M Tutwiler, Sun, 14 Jun 2020 14:26

Jason M Tutwiler

Its well established that PSX has one of the best weather systems available for a flight simulator.  I always figured outside of PSX, ActiveSky for P3D was next in line.  However, I'm reading about a product called OpusFSI and it looks pretty deep and interesting.  Does anyone have any opinions and/or experiences with this software?  Lastly, I'm trying to figure out if it will play well with ActiveSky? 

Best Regards,
Jason Tutwiler
Jason M. Tutwiler

Britjet

Jason,
I use ActiveSky with P3D.
Sadly I'm not an alpha tester but MS 2020 looks like a game-changer in that regard when it comes out..
Peter

Jason M Tutwiler

Yeah, I use activesky as well with p3d but this opus software is quite impressive for $30 USD.
Jason M. Tutwiler

pilotngb

Hello,

I've always struggled understandings wx settings to use in both PSX and P3d in the past. Now that I have MSFS2020 working with PSX via WidePSX (trial version until I buy it) what settings do I use in PSX for the weather now? Presuming the only option is to set via zones/METAR?

Thanks,
Neil

David Palmer

Quote from: Britjet on Sun, 14 Jun 2020 19:21
Jason,
I use ActiveSky with P3D.
Sadly I'm not an alpha tester but MS 2020 looks like a game-changer in that regard when it comes out..
Peter

The developer of OpusFSI said on August 19, regarding Microsoft Flight Simulator ...

...all weather related SimConnect functions have been depreciated as there seems little point or need for any external weather engine within the sim at this point in time.
Regards,
David
Regards,
David.
a.k.a. 'The Commodore'

Jason M Tutwiler

David,
I'm not sure why because sim connect is functional in MSFS2020, albeit, the performance of it isn't stellar at this point but with the rate and openness in which Microsoft is releasing patches and updates, I think this will be improved.  I'll have to investigate the MSFS2020 weather system in further depth but I didn't see many "advanced" options or anything for metars and tafs.  Not to mention, using simconnect for a weather engine is ideally done with a separate computer from the sim and saves resources on the sim computer.

Regards,
Jason Tutwiler
Jason M. Tutwiler