News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Hoppie's file upload service: question

Started by Will, Mon, 25 May 2020 15:36

Will

Hello Hoppie,

Just curious, are there any problems if someone uploads a file that has the same name as a file that's already been uploaded? I've been taking pains to make sure that all my uploads have unique names, and I'm just wondering if that step is necessary.

Thanks, and have a great holiday weekend!
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Well it flat out overwrites the previous one... it depends on the situation whether that is a problem.    :-)

Correcting an upload is a useful feature. I think we have to live with the possibility of accidental overwrites. Setting up a complete login system to keep separate name spaces etc. is too much of a burden, I think.

Hoppie

Will

Good to know.

My screen capture tool assigns the generic name "Capture.JPG" to every file it creates, and I just noticed that another user recently uploaded a file called "Capture.JPG."

So for anyone who is reading this: if you want to reduce the risk that your files will be overwritten, you may want to use a name that's likely to be unique on Hoppie's system.

(If your files do get overwritten, then your old post will display someone else's file.)
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Suggest to manually add date and UTC numbers to the file name.

202005251702-hello.jpg

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I can automatically add those, too. Shall we open a vote?

Hoppie

Will

I vote for incorporating the time stamp into the filename automatically.
Will /Chicago /USA

martin

Quote from: WillI vote for incorporating the time stamp into the filename automatically.
Good_Idea_3141592653589.

Cheers,
Martin

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers