News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Out of print :(

Started by Jason M Tutwiler, Wed, 13 May 2020 22:32

Jason M Tutwiler

Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is well and healthy and happy.  My question is fairly simple.  I have been searching and searching to no avail.  Is there ANY way to get the Big Boeing Book FMC User's guide, even in PDF (legally).  To be frank, Hardys manual (both original and NG) are probably the best available and it may even be better than the Big Boeing Book for the 777, 747, 757, 767 but I've heard so much about this book and I missed out on buying it.  Are there any subscription based sites that I can pay a monthly fee to have access to it electronically? Also, I know we have some really experienced pilots in here and they may want to hold on to that book, which I understand, but if anyone would be willing to sell it to me, please let me know! :)

Regards,
Jason Tutwiler
Jason M. Tutwiler

Ton van Bochove

Hi Jason.

I donot know the origin of this webpage but you can give it a try. http://seapa.org/747_fmc_guide.pdf
The buffer guide is a nice introduction but it refers to the FMC of 15/20 years ago. After this guide his efforts went to the 737 (NG) FMC guide.

Ton

Jason M Tutwiler

I can't find it.  I'll keep looking.  I know it's dated but i still find the history interesting.

Regards,
Jason Tutwiler
Jason M. Tutwiler

andmiz

I'll send you an email with a link to the official manual.

Markus Vitzethum

Just out of curiosity ... I wonder what the "official manual" refers to? Is it the Boeing AOM, or the Honeywell manual?

Markus

Jeroen D

I assume Honeywell is the original? I still have a 1996 Honeywell 747-400 Flight Management System Pilot's Guide.

It has a little card on the inside of the cover:

Copies of this manual are available on the temporary loan in the chief pilot's office.

My copy must have been on board of a particular 744. It has the carrier name and the plane's designation written on it in felt pen.

I also have the Bulfer book. In all honesty the Honeywell guide looks a bit like a "dummy's guide to FMS" compared to the level of detail and explanation by Bulfer.

Mind you, of course, both are two decades old by now. But probably until the NG versions arrived still pretty relevant and useable for us desk top pilots.

Jeroen 

Hardy Heinlin

The "Big Boeing FMC User's Guide" that Jason mentioned above is Bill Bulfer's and Skeet Gifford's "all-in-one" 747, 757, 767, 777 FMC book printed on paper; it's out of print, and they don't sell it anymore.

It contains much more information than Honeywell's manuals.

http://www.cockpitcompanion.com/

Quote from: BulferI have discontinued printing the Big Boeing FMC Guide.
It's gotten out of date and I have no way to update it.
I have been off the airplane for a long time!

744kid

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Wed, 13 May 2020 22:59
Hi Jason.

I donot know the origin of this webpage but you can give it a try. http://seapa.org/747_fmc_guide.pdf
The buffer guide is a nice introduction but it refers to the FMC of 15/20 years ago. After this guide his efforts went to the 737 (NG) FMC guide.

I would avoid this site. My virus protection app said the following when I clicked on the link:

An unacceptable security risk is posed by this site.
McAfee Web Category: Spyware/Adware/Keyloggers
McAfee Security Rating:Yellow

744kid

I forgot to add. Copies do come up for sale on eBay from time to time. If you really want it, save a search for "Big Boeing FMC Guide" and you'll be notified when someone is selling

Jason M Tutwiler

All,
Outside of Bill B's publications about the Honeywell FMC and the more recent Smiths publication about the 737 Smiths FMC also by bill, I have actually found some good information from doing searches and also watching youtube videos.   There is also a good Ipad app but it doesn't cover much about the 737NG FMC.  This isn't to say that I wouldn't mind the books from Bill but I have to be resourceful in my quest for system / computer knowledge.  Thank you everyone for the input.

Regards,
Jason Tutwiler
Jason M. Tutwiler

Captain_al

I have been looking Jason, I know I have it on a stick somewhere, but I can't find it.

I have a physical copy of the Honeywell FMS book for the 757/767/ and 747-400, though they are old publications. I do have a FMS Honeywell electronic PDF for the 787 from 2014 that is the most current FMS pub I have. The 787 is very similar to the 747 FMS NG, which I think I want to get for PSX since it comes with the legacy only.

If you are interested, let me know and I will send it to you, I have your email...

Captain_al

Jason:

I did find the PDF on the 747-8 FMS NG by Honeywell, it was on my iMac desktop right in front of me, not sure if that has enough detail of what you are looking for, but I will send you both.

Sorry Jason, just realized these are copyrighted publications by Honeywell, so cannot give out...

Hardy Heinlin

I'm sorry to say this, but being responsible for this public forum, I may get big trouble as the Honeywell manuals and most other manuals too are copyright protected ...

Regards,

|-|ardy

vnangli

Quote from: Captain_al on Fri, 15 May 2020 15:00
Jason:

I did find the PDF on the 747-8 FMS NG by Honeywell, it was on my iMac desktop right in front of me, not sure if that has enough detail of what you are looking for, but I will send you both.

BTW, without realizing I had 2 copies of BIG BOEING FMC USERS GUIDE I traded one of them with Bill Bulfer for a 737 COCKPIT COMPANION..

The one I traded was titled "BIG BOEING FMC USER'S GUIDE" by Bill Bulfer and Skeet Gilford

So, Bill Bulfer may still have a copy...WOrth a try!!
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

the mad hatter

bottom line with manuels     honeywells are marked "restricted" publishing them can open a whole can of whoopie that no one really wants.   

Captain_al

OK, I should have known that, lesson learned, forget I mentioned it...

See retraction above...

jtsjc1

Another very helpful reference is the 747-400 Handbook by Capt. Mike Ray. He has a casual writing style which is very easy to understand.
Joe

funkyhut

If you're still looking, I have a copy I'd be happy to sell you.
Please email me.
Thanks.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

744kid