Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:
Precision Simulator update 10.104 (16 March 2020) is now available.
Aerowinx NG FMC and More is now released.

Author Topic: Question regarding -400M (Combi)  (Read 122 times)

andrej

Question regarding -400M (Combi)
« on: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 06:42 »
With eminent end of life for KLM's B744 fleet and increased cargo fleet utilization, several interest threads appeared on airliners.net forums.

Few questions came up, that left me wondering as well. Given how well versed many of you are with B744s, I thought that I would ask here:

Is it possible to fly a combi with main deck pallets while the passenger cabin is empty without the center of gravity going out of limits? Since the cargo section is between doors 4 and 5, I'd imagine that would be very tail heavy. I know that there are ballast tanks, but is it sufficient to cover the "heavy" tail?
Is it correct, that initially, -400Ms came with a moveable wall? But then regulation came that it must have benn fixed in place? Am I mistaken this with something else?
Is the OEW still roughly 180 Tons? Besides strengthened floors, what other major modifications are there vs. -400?

Thanks for your answers!
Cheers,
Andrej

Hardy Heinlin

• Aerowinx
Re: Question regarding -400M (Combi)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 11:03 »
As for the center of gravity: The combi can get tail heavy indeed, even when pax are in the cabin. This can be balanced by keeping a certain amount of fuel in the center tank (which is slightly forward of the center of pressure). For this reason the FMC PERF INIT page provides the BALLAST FUEL alert function for combis.

Regards,

|-|ardy