News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Throttletek Spoiler Configuration [RESOLVED]

Started by emerydc8, Wed, 18 Mar 2020 03:57

emerydc8

Hi Hardy,

I apologize for having to re-bother you on this, but it's been so long since I configured my Throttletek that I can't seem to get the spoilers to arm. Full forward on the lever is 990, when I run the lever back to the arm detent it shows 819, however the spoilers won't give me an armed memo there. The armed memo shows up at a value of 960 -- significantly forward of the armed detent on the TQ. How would I get it to show a value of 960 when the lever is in the detent? Thanks.
Jon

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Jon,

you need to calibrate your lever according to these instructions:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4805.0

Scroll down to "Example of a slider calibration".

When exactly calibrated, you'll get the full 100% deflection in PSX, no matter what input range your USB axis provides. With the above calibration you can translate any smaller USB axis range to a full 100% range.

Regards,

|-|ardy

emerydc8

So I followed the procedure:

1. While holding the hardware slider fully forward, click "Copy to full forward".

2. While holding the hardware slider fully aft, click "Copy to full aft".

3. Click "Center at 50%" (this sets the center to 50% between the entered forward and aft values).

4. Click "Close".

When I close, save and reset the situ, placing the spoiler handle to the arm detent still results in 820. In order to get the arm memo I have to slide it forward until I get to 960.

Hardy Heinlin

Where do you see that 820 value? On the USB page? The USB page has nothing to do with situational parameters and situ files.

The only thing that counts is the speedbrake lever position displayed on the graphical PSX flight deck. It should go 100% forward and aft when you move your USB axis fully foward and aft. If that is the case, all is fine and you can ignore your input values on the USB page.

If I had an USB axis ranging from -123 to +456 and calibrated it with these values, my lever on the PSX deck would go to the max deflections when my USB input goes to -123 or 456.

What you see on the USB page is the raw USB input value. The calibration will not change your hardware; it will change the signal translation that goes into the PSX flight deck. That can be seen on the PSX flight deck only (and in the PSX avionic simulations).

emerydc8

I'm seeing it on the USB page. The speedbrakes otherwise work normal but the only way I can get them to arm is to go forward of the detent toward the fully retract position. When it gets to 960, the SPEEDBRAKE ARMED appears on the EICAS.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: emerydc8 on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 05:07
... I can get them to arm is to go forward of the detent toward the fully retract position.

I don't understand this description. Where is "forward"? And where are you looking at: At your hardware box or at the PSX flight deck? If it's the hardware box, the "ARM" sticker is not exactly positioned.

When the PSX lever on the PSX deck is in the ARM range, the EICAS message will appear.

emerydc8

On the Throttletek TQ, there's a physical detent for the armed position. When I move the lever to that armed detent it will not arm the spoilers -- it's too far deployed at 860. I have to take it out of the detent and move the lever toward the forward (stowed) position. Full forward on the lever equates to 990 on the USB calibration screen. I have to move the lever until it shows 960 in order to get the spoilers to arm. This is well forward of the armed detent on the TQ.

Hardy Heinlin

The values in PSX refer to the real 744 angle values. If your Throttletek refers to different values, you may try to set a non-linear translation by entering a higher or lower value in the "Center" field, e.g. 700 or -300.

emerydc8

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to see if I can set it by trial and error. Thanks again.

Hardy Heinlin

You could also lower the value in the "full forward" field.

emerydc8

Putting -900 in Copy to Center seems to work for me.

Hardy Heinlin

That's too much. That means your first 10% of the USB input are used for 50% of the entire output range.

Have you tried a lower "Full forward" value?

Are you looking at the lever on the PSX deck when you're moving your hardware lever? Both should be approximately in sync.

emerydc8

I can try a lower full-forward value and see if that works, but the physical lever does correctly correspond to the deployment of spoilers on the lower EICAS surface position indicator. In other words, full forward with the lever is no spoilers and the left spoiler indication increases to full as I go to the full aft position. Maybe the pot is that bad.

Hardy Heinlin

I would just look at the PSX lever, not at the PSX EICAS.

Anyway, if you use the EICAS, please do this:

1. Aircraft in flight
2. On the CB overhead panel pull G7
3. Move hardware lever to circa 25%
4. Check EICAS: Left SPL should be at circa 50%, right SPL at 0%
5. Move hardware lever to FLIGHT DETENT
6. Check EICAS: Left SPL should be at 100%, right SPL at 0%
7. Move hardware lever to circa 75%
8. Check EICAS: Left SPL should be at 100%, right SPL at circa 50%
9. Move hardware lever to UP
10. Check EICAS: Both SPL should be at 100%

emerydc8

1. Aircraft in flight
3. Move hardware lever to circa 25%
4. Check EICAS: Left SPL should be at circa 50%, right SPL at 0% 5% and 0%
5. Move hardware lever to FLIGHT DETENT
6. Check EICAS: Left SPL should be at 100%, right SPL at 0%  Both 0%
7. Move hardware lever to circa 75%
8. Check EICAS: Left SPL should be at 100%, right SPL at circa 50% 25% and 0%
9. Move hardware lever to UP
10. Check EICAS: Both SPL should be at 100% left 100% right 0%

I looked at the PSX virtual lever. Stowed (full forward) on the Throttletek is stowed on PSX. Armed on Throttletek is armed on PSX. Almost full aft (1" from full aft on the Throttletek) is 50% on PSX. The last inch of travel on the Throttletek moves the PSX lever from half to full.

I'll need to work on decreasing the forward value.

[UPDATE]

FIXED! I moved the top figure (full forward) to 920 and set the center to 50% and I am getting the exact results you asked for in your test with the breaker pulled. Thanks again Hardy.

Hardy Heinlin

For future forum readers:

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 06:22
1. Aircraft in flight

An easier test situation would be this:
1. Aircraft on the ground
2. On the CB overhead panel pull G6

In flight, only if G7 is pulled, the speedbrake lever can go fully aft (which is required for the test).
On the ground, only if G6 is pulled, the speedbrake lever servo is off (which is required for the test).

The ground test is easier than the inflight test.

|-|

emerydc8

Thanks Hardy. The next step is to get the reversers to work. I can't remember what I did but was having a problem because I was using #2 or #3 engine to deploy all of them on landing but if the engine is say at 26% in the flare it will not go into reverse. It had to be a bit lower. I know it was discussed by Gary too at the time as being a problem and you did something to solve it but I don't remember. I'll have to find the thread. Throttletek reversers are horrible. Maybe Peter remembers having problems configuring his reversers.

Hardy Heinlin

That was long before PSX got the new calibration tools which you just used for your speedbrake lever. The new tools allow you to precisely set maximum, center, and minimum reference points for any USB axis.

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4805.0

Scroll down to the throttle calibrations ("mid range equalization").

|-|ardy

emerydc8

emerydc8

So the problem I'm having on the reversers is that when I disconnect the A/T during flight, the throttles aren't matched to the real PSX throttles and engines.When I reduce power to idle for landing, I may not be able to get less than 30% N1 with the throttles all the way back. The reversers do not deploy because of that. I don't know if anything can be done. Now if I disconnect the A/T and momentarily push them to the firewall and then back to idle, it matches them with the PSX throttles and I do get reverse because the idle with the physical throttles is less than 25%.