News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Hardware NG FMC vs legacy FMC

Started by Ton van Bochove, Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:48

Ton van Bochove

The NG upgrade is pending  :) and I am considering being the FDS FMC. I was wondering ( not very much info available on the internet) if the hardware (buttons etc.) would change too.
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

The NG FMC upgrade will be compatible with the old CRT CDUs. The NG FMCs also work with green-text CDUs.

The NG FMC upgrade will even allow you to simulate multicolor LCD CDUs if you use hardware CDUs that contain mini color screens that display monitor sections of the original PSX flight deck.

The only difference being the brightness controls which are rotational knobs on CRT CDUs and +/- pushbuttons on LCD CDUs. But the Aerowinx network accepts both brightness controls. No problem to change the LCD brightness with the existing rotational knobs.

Regards,

|-|ardy

lecd64

Hi Hardy, how is the development of the NG FMC going? Is it nearly completed? Thanks.

Hardy Heinlin

It's nearly completed.

Thanks,

|-|ardy

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu, 23 Jan 2020 02:54
The NG FMC upgrade will be compatible with the old CRT CDUs. The NG FMCs also work with green-text CDUs.

The NG FMC upgrade will even allow you to simulate multicolor LCD CDUs if you use hardware CDUs that contain mini color screens that display monitor sections of the original PSX flight deck.

The only difference being the brightness controls which are rotational knobs on CRT CDUs and +/- pushbuttons on LCD CDUs. But the Aerowinx network accepts both brightness controls. No problem to change the LCD brightness with the existing rotational knobs.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Thanks Hardy! The multi color display is part of the 74/8 FMC. But is it an option for the 744 NG FMC?
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

LCD CDUs can be installed on the 744 as well. The flight deck can even be intermixed with CRT CDUs and LCD CDUs.

Please note that these brown boxes called CDUs are not FMCs :-)

An FMC may send multicolor codes to the CDU. If the CDU can work with these codes, it displays the text in multicolor, else it displays all in white or all in green.

ACARS, SATCOM etc. can, if they are designed so, also send multicolor codes to the CDU.

ACARS, SATCOM etc. are not part of the FMC. They are all independent units. And the CDUs are independent too.

When you see a CDU in an online shop and the shop calls this unit an "FMC" then it's the wrong product name. It's like calling a keyboard a computer.

By the way ...

https://flightdeck-solutions.myshopify.com/collections/b747/products/fds-b747-pro-mx-cdu

The upper half of this FDS CDU in fact looks like an LCD CDU because of the white stripes at the left and right line select keys. The CRT CDUs don't have these stripes. And this FDS screen is multicolor too, obviously. Just the brightness control is CRT style. But that doesn't matter.

andrej

Hello Hardy,
based on your last post, I am intrigued to ask. Will NG FMC update feature both CRT CDUs and LCD CDU?
What you stated, it seems that there is no need for it. Yet given your track record to the attention to detail, I would not be surprised. :)

Cheers,
Andrej

Ton van Bochove

QuotePlease note that these brown boxes called CDUs are not FMCs :-)

Deleted from the cells of my brain ;-) and thanks for the explanation!
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: andrej on Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:18
Will NG FMC update feature both CRT CDUs and LCD CDU?

"NG FMC and more" will be the title of this upgrade package; it means bonus features are included, selectable at the user's choice. They are:

• The simulation of multicolor LCD (liquid crystal display) CDUs

• The Wind & OAT corridor tools (advanced weather simulation)

• The SIGMET tools (advanced weather simulation)

Regards,

|-|ardy

Ton van Bochove

Ton

beat578

And I was so proud, that after 6 years I finally start to understand the "old" FMC / CDU... Well, at least I am able to start the plane with the "normal" checklists without alls the extra explanations from tutorials and the manual... But i am looking forward to that, as it really looks great and is very intersting stuff to learn.

ahaka

Looking nice!

Any chance to be able to download the manual beforehand to learn about all the new features before the actual release?
Antti

Martin Baker

Which version of the FMC do the (still extant) BA 747s use? M

Hardy Heinlin

The manual can be downloaded free of charge when it's finished.

BA use NG FMCs and the old CRT CDUs.

andrej

Dear Hardy,
Thanks for the update. It looks amazing and I am looking forward to release of the product. The updated weather simulation alone is worth the upgrade.

I will have older CRT CDUs, so just the possibility to use NG FMC vs. "classic FMC" is worth it.
Thanks again for your hard work!

I am certain that this update will be masterpiece worth every eurocent/penny/cent/fill. :)

Cheers
Andrej

cavaricooper

Hardy-

Great news- to know that this upgrade is close to release is fantastic!  I saw that there were 3 main points covered in this release.  Are there sub-points within (such as runway lighting) or will that come at a later stage? 

Also, please confirm we are still on for the AIRAC release in March, separately?

Obliged, as ever- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

The NG FMC package does not change the runway lighting and does not contain any nav database update. The nav database updates remain a separate commercial product that are renewed anually. Later updates to this NG FMC package will be part of the traditional free PSX updates. But the inital NG FMC package is not free.

|-|

cavaricooper

It might not be free, but it (like PSX) will be something I will happily pay for, and marvel at my ROI.

Ta- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cavaricooper

Re. differences, will there be any changes to the NG ACARS functionality i.e. will there be the ability to read the ACARS vs. the current function of just PRINTing?

Ta- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA