News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Standalone VATSIM client.

Started by RogerH, Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:59

RogerH

Hi all,

With the recent decision by VATSIM to disconnect those with Xplane running at less than 20 fps, it has raised a significant issue.

For those not familiar with the issue, Xplane's speed of simulation is linked to the frame rate. Above 20fps all is dandy. But below this number, the actual simulation slows down. If My ground speed is, say, 100kts, my ATC blip would move at 100kts on a controller's screen at 20fps and above, but below this the simulation slows down by 5% per frame lost. So at 15fps, my ground speed would be 75kts - while still being reported to the controller as 100kts by Xplane.

This is obviously a nightmare for conrollers trying to line up their 'string of pearls'.

However, there's something not being taken into account for us PSXers.

I run PSX with xView driving the Xplane visuals. Since Xplane is in SLEW mode, it moves with true ground speed regardless of the fps. The GS is driven by PSX and is thus unaffected by fps.

But, since I connect to VATSIM via a client running on Xplane, I have to assume that I'll be disconnected at less than 20fps even though I'm not causing a problem.

Any thoughts anyone?

For two ha'p'orth, I'd fly PSX directly on VATSIM without Xplane (although I'd miss the scenery!), but that begs two questions:

1) who could write a VATSIM client to connect PSX directly to VATSIM? Gary - you don't seem to be doing much at the moment ;-P

2) what would one do once arriving at the end of the runway - Hardy, how tricky would it be to add taxiway centrelines as a series of blue dots? Although I think I know what your answer may be... :-)

Cheers all,

Roger

Gary Oliver

I'll have a chat with Justin, see if there's anything we can do for PSX users.

cavaricooper

Roger-

I recently heard a blind pilot asking to "spawn" on the runway.  After a bit of a wait, he was cleared to do so.  I immediately thought of the possibility of doing this in PSX.  The idea has been tossed about over the past couple of years- there haven't been any coders interested enough.

Should HH add correct custom ALS runway lighting to PSX in a future update- the possibilities are then immediately more persuasive.  Hardy has acknowledged this request, with the reminder that his "to-do" list is voluminous. Positioning at the Hold Marker, left or right is already possible.

Hope springs eternal.

Best- C

PS- Gary posted just before... now THAT sounds promising- Ta Mate!

Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Gary Oliver

Does anyone have a copy of the aircraft we use in I'm xplane for Xview?

Gary Oliver

I have had a chat with Justin and this is not a problem.  Expect to be fixed in the next version.

brian747

Hi Gary!

Regarding the 'PSX Plane', you have mail....   

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

RogerH

Wow! That was quick! Thanks Gary and all. Hardy, if you ever decided to put taxiways in, I'd be grateful - it would mean I could fly ApSX on VATSIM from the warmth of the spare room!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It is unrelated to the fps question, but taxiing online always was an issue, ever since PS1, and various workarounds have been constructed for those without an approved ("calibrated") scenery generator.

One of the most convenient ones (but the grossest hack ever) was a taxiway display that fed off the official online radar scope sector file with ownship marker, that got projected into one of the two MCDU displays. Convenient and low maintenance, but of course highly unrealistic.

Nowadays I would expect most EFB applications, that can typically run on a tablet or large phone, to be ownship capable and potentially online ground traffic capable, too.

It is not ideal but I can imagine this to be an excellent workaround, as many people already have such an app.

Hoppie

RogerH

That's a good idea Hoppie. I'm currently on day 4 of a 30 day trial of Aivlasoft EFB, so you've got about 26 days to sort it out, please.

Toga

Has xpilot solved the XP11 GS issue?

Captain_Crow

Hi,
does Aivlasoft work with PSX as a moving map for taxiing etc. ?

I guess no...

Best
Steff

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Not Yet, at least. It is so heavily integrated with MSFS or X-Plane that it is not even connectable to PSX at this moment, as it needs the whole underlying nav and airport structure, too. I overlooked that; I thought that data was standalone. Obviously I was put on the wrong foot by my Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro integration exercises (that works with PSX now, but it wasn't for "production" purposes).

So for now you better slave MSFS or X-Plane to PSX and that will in turn drive that EFB. You should be able to do this on a much smaller PC than when you want to experience the full outside view.

Hoppie

Captain_Crow

Ok dear Jereon,

I use the Navigraph stuff, which runs well. There was little hope thinking on Aivlasoft..
Best
Steff