News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Scan your cockpit :-)

Started by cagarini, Sat, 11 Jan 2020 20:25

asboyd

Noticed no pricing...heh heh heh!!!

Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Britjet

ahaka

For that amount I'd rather build my cockpit than scan it.
Antti

andrej

Using real world parts, for that kind of money, you get yourself MIP or maybe a shell. :D But it is still worth it.  8)

On a side note, developers of MSFS2020 used 3D scanners, while taking measurements of selected panels, and parts. I have seen it in once of the videos. Technological advances are unbelievable. For example, I just recently (few weeks ago) discovered that my new iPad CAN measure distances using its camera.

Cheers,
Andrej

John H Watson

Pure magic. How do you scan a moving object when the scanner may be moving also? In one section of the video, it shows a scanned object being rotated.

ahaka

It's a cylindrical type object rotating around it's axis. It is basically the same as walking around the object scanning it but instead rotating it. I am guessing the scanner must have some sensors to know where it is in the room space in terms of position and orientation.

Imagine what you can do when these become more affordable. And at the same time 3D printers become better and better as well.

Maybe the title should be "Scan and print your cockpit" :)
Antti

John H Watson

QuoteIt's a cylindrical type object rotating around it's axis. It is basically the same as walking around the object scanning it but instead rotating it.

How does the scanner know the object is being rotated in a cylindrical fashion and not a ellipsoidal fashion? (or is the turntable part of the equipment?)

Isn't scanning usually based on something being stationary and the other thing following a known path? (except perhaps with something simple like a bar code which has two dimensions and has bars which are essentially parallel to each other)

Will

I think they used one of these devices in the beginning of Aliens, to look for life forms on the shuttle they found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HbkcRAQhew
Will /Chicago /USA

ahaka

Quote from: John H Watson on Fri, 17 Jan 2020 00:04
How does the scanner know the object is being rotated in a cylindrical fashion and not a ellipsoidal fashion? (or is the turntable part of the equipment?)

I'm no expert when it comes to 3D scanning, but in my opinion it should not matter as the scanner would know it's position and orientation in space. It will just scan whatever surfaces it passes or passes in front of it. There might also be some settings for different types of scan jobs.

Some basic information about the technology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_scanning#Hand-held_laser_scanners

Antti