News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Miami people?

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Sat, 20 Nov 2010 12:19

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

For business (yes, it involves aircraft business this time) I will drop by Miami for a few days somewhere in January. Any PS1 madmen out there who would like to meet up?

Jeroen

John Golin

No, but if you need an assistant I am happy for you to fly me over there as well... :P
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

cavaricooper

Jeroen:

I live in Tampa......would be happy to meet up.....lmk what dates and if I'm not in Atlanta (market) I would be happy to meet with you.

Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Will

I was just there last week... bad timing.  Maybe next trip.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I'm leaving for Miami this Sunday 16th and return on Thursday 20th. But the planning still is not fixed so it is hard to predict if I would have any time off.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersI'm leaving for Miami this Sunday 16th and return on Thursday 20th. But the planning still is not fixed so it is hard to predict if I would have any time off.

Looks like the Miami weather is cooling off.  (grins)  High today is 80F (27C), but somewhat cooler the rest of this week.  I'm sure it will warm back up by the 16th!

I hope you get some time off to enjoy the warm ocean breezes.  I've always found that even a few days in warm climates gives one much more energy to face the rest of winter.  It's remarkable how that breaks up the severity of winter weather.

I had to travel quite a lot during my career.  So many interesting cities were only seen from the back seat of a taxi...it must be even worse for airline crews.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Last time I went far away (in 2003) I found myself on the Sydney coast in the basement of a machine factory for three weeks... something tells me that this trip will be the same.   :-)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hoppie hums some Beach Boys tune.

Hardy Heinlin

Oh, you're in California :-)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Actually it rained more than enough to remind me of home, and heavy rain on wet asphalt is the same everywhere... I've seen quite a few planes today and we more than likely will burn some avgas and Jet-A this week. In the mean time I continue interfacing my MCDU to actual ARINC 429 wires. Silly work trips...

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Next stop... Avilés...

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Oh, I'll be back to Miami this July-August, it seems.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersOh, I'll be back to Miami this July-August, it seems.

Mid-winter is a much better season to visit that part of the US!  

Humidity beyond comprehension, along with the temperatures.

Some find the desert southwest (Arizona, etc) easier to handle even though the temperatures are higher - the humidity is much lower in the desert.  Still, when I visited a friend in Phoenix one summer, the *low* temperature was 95 F (35 C), only accomplished late at night.

...by far the hottest place I've personally visited was Singapore, due to its combination of very high humidity and temperature.  It's only about 60 miles from the equator.  Not only hotter than any location I had experienced, but hotter than I could have imagined.  Yet it was an exceptionally beautiful city to visit, with flowering trees and bushes everywhere.

I'm sure your trip will be most enjoyable.  Everything is of course air conditioned!
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I wonder whether hangars are air conditioned. Or aircraft parked.

the mad hatter

no sir no A/C just huge fans that are loud.. be thankful you are not going to TX its really hot here at moment pool is like a bath and I have 35,000 gals of water in it.

I would extend an invitation to visit and fly... but I just have parts no fun in that.. Unless you want to go for a drink, I'll get ya drunk have you dance on tables, get you arrested  then your reputation will be secure for years to come :-))

Shiv Mathur

Quote from: the mad hatter... I'll get ya drunk have you dance on tables, get you arrested  ...

Ho-hum  :roll:  
Been there, done that.
I'm sure Hoppie wanted to do something new on this trip.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

No way Shiv, I wasn't drunk and not really arrested, and besides, it was in Coventry.

the mad hatter

Coventry!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now your 'reputation is secure" as an Englishman in TX I fully understand.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I'm going in at the deep end. July 25 out, August 15 back to the low lands. I'll bring my SCUBA mask.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Well, the temperature and humidity weren't too bad anyway. And in between business, I also saw enough of Miami, Miami Beach, and the Far West extending to the Everglades (West of SW 137th Ave) to be comfortable with it.

So I can now formally announce that I will be relocating permanently to Miami in about six weeks, to join a company which dovetails very well with my experience: www.avionica.com.

It took me 15 years to get this far, and all because I once wanted to buy an ATC simulator box, found out it would only run on Windows 95 which I did not have, and then decided to pick up the box next to it, some 747 simulator, that looked interesting and also had ATC anyway. And most importantly, it ran on DOS. No frills.

Well, today I'm back to the 100 MHz CPU, but DOS has been replaced by Linux. I love working on plain hardware with no "user interface" except a single blinking LED. Ok, it uses a low orbit satellite constellation to get onto the internet, but it feels like a 1990s dialup modem. And most importantly, it looks surprisingly like the ACARS system I dreamed up many moons ago. Because much of it was, believe it or not, inspired by my dreams when I developed the PS1.3a Broker. Call that full circle?

Next stop: Miami, 0.5 nm South of KTMB.

Jeroen