News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

add on software (AAR).

Started by the mad hatter, Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:37

the mad hatter

Good morning all,

I would like to do an add on i.e get someone to write it, as I do not have the skill set,nor do I know what that skill set looks like! what I have in mind is an Air to Air Refueling module, My out the window view is  PD3, I personally think it would be a lot of fun (but that's me ), Naturally I will have to brief the person what would that brief would look like please and this is where I need the help.  I don't think I can say hey I want air to air refueling knock yourself out as it never that easy...Thanks

There is room in the overhead by removing the blank panels and populating them which could be used for the switchology :-) for said beasty

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Do you mean you want to take in fuel or to deliver fuel?

I suppose it's to take in fuel, as to deliver fuel through the tail boom would basically require you to put the bird in a long holding pattern and open the beer. That can be easily simulated.

Then, what system would you want? A boom so that you maneuver the bird behind the tanker and then let its boom operator make the connection? Or a more sporty basket on a trailing hose to poke with a large probe protruding forward, but in your field of view?

Lastly, is there any P3D aircraft out there that can be tankering for you, picture-wise?

Hoppie

the mad hatter

Good morning Hoppie,

Thanks for replying to my post :-)   I am really rather keen to make this happen, so naturally in my minds eye it would be to "Take on Fuel" I think the more sporty shuttle cock type probe would more fun and offer a better or more of a challenge, (but if a tail boom is easier then I am all over that) also I was thinking of various degrees of difficulty easy med hard and next too impossible. Also I wonder if the target aircraft (refueller) boom or shuttlecock operator could "Talk you in"  I thinking that the add on could run through the OBs CDU  and one would have to hunt for the target aircraft visually ? I ask because I have no idea how i would hunt down the refueling aircraft. I looked in PD3  and found no tanker aircraft but they did have alot of C130s could that aircraft be manipulated ? or https://secure.simmarket.com/virtavia-c-17a-globemaster-iii-p3d.phtml I fpound that as an add on to pd3 but not sure that helps in anyway ?

Once again my sincere thanks

Britjet

What you need is some sort of extendable, flexible, tube-like structure on the nose section.
Like an elephants trunk, maybe?
Peter.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Next to the obvious problems with the visuals, trying to synchronize a P3D model with the PSX model at inches of accuracy in 3D, navigation to the tanker also is interesting. Normally tankers have an airborne TACAN that you could tune like a VOR/DME but civilian aircraft don't have the TACAN frequency band support.

And then the extra plumbing inside the 744. Where would the incoming fuel go?

C-130s have a max speed too low for the 744. You need an aircraft that can perform like the 744 at mid-levels, FL240 or so. Tankers don't like to fly too high as the coffin corner is not where you want to be while trying to fly formation.

Hoppie

the mad hatter

Peter is right  this is an elephant, but how do you eat and elephant  one fork full at a time, Thanks Hoppie I can see this is going to very much a thinking exercise to start with, not just a there you go make it happen kinda thing:

okay re the aircraft - C17 better still the M400 does the trick and I think its an add on for for PD3 if not readily available  I am sure someone in the developer world has completed a C17/M400 and I think this because when I look into PD3 and the forum thing there are military applications being used so it kinda makes sense they would have one?

When I said there is room in the overhead for the panels required I had in my minds eye at inception a butchered TACAN panel as this would have the room for IFF and ECM even is over three blank panels :-)  now there is not a blank panel plate to be seen :-)  vanity is a good thing, and this justifies my working HUD:( it works just no software going through it):  HH would have pink kittens as now PSX is a shoot em up I jest) so just thinking aloud  could not a button or switch in the panel"act as" an UHF and add say an LCD screen in the panel which could/would give digital co ords  to the aircraft and tanker be the VOR) so in effect the aircraft (PSX) acts as the station or would the refueling tanker be be the station emitting the signal? IF the tanker becomes the station it would have to move

That's a well made point Hoppie the synchronization between PSX and the refueling tanker  eeemm  I wonder if you can have x2 instances of psx running at different speeds? so that the tanker is always ahead and higher and at activation of the switch in the TACAN panel activates the or deactivates the refueling tanker

where would the incoming fuel go To the centre tank I guess never gave it much thought til now

Once again thank you