News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Question about a trivial issue in X-Plane with "PSX Plane"

Started by brian747, Thu, 14 Nov 2019 17:04

brian747

I'm literally just starting to discover X-Plane, and was delighted to find that both X-View and the associated "PSX Plane" (with all its liveries) worked perfectly first time. It's also a delightful change to find that *all* the lights work correctly from the PSX switches, too. But I digress...

I just wondered if anyone has a cure for this small problem:

I assume    that it's something to do with "PSX Plane", since the default (X-Plane) 744 doesn't suffer from this issue when I park it at the same spot.

I'm not sure — correction, I have no idea — what the differences are between the X-Plane default 744 and "PSX Plane", but I can only assume that one of them must relate to this. Whatever the X-Plane equivalent of "contact points" may be, perhaps??    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any suggestions most gratefully received,

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

RogerH

Try disabling xview in the plugins menu then reload the flight. May be tha Xplane is not flagging the aircraft as "on the ground"? If the gear is ok without xview then I'd guess it's something like that.

martin

No X-Plane/PSX problem there, Brian.

The airport depicted has prairie dogs, rabbits, groundhogs, or badgers on the premises. Or possibly warthogs or aardvark (it all depends on the geographical location).

Cheers,
Martin
(PSX Zoologist)

brian747

@Roger

Ah, many thanks for putting me on the right track, Roger!   

Whilst installing X-Plane I also took the opportunity to do something that I have meant to do for some time but had never previously got around to — I moved PSX off the main scenery generator machine onto a machine of its own. Your comment about XView reminded me that at one point (about the time I noticed the problem with the wheels, in fact     ) I had briefly shut PSX down while I adjusted some X-Camera views. Sure enough, when PSX is properly connected via X-View all the wheels are in contact with terra firma again.   

Many thanks indeed for your helpful prompt for my increasingly patchy memory.   

@Martin

As a Scouser myself, I think I would be as surprised as any other native of that city (my aircraft with the problematic undercarriage was parked at John Lennon airport) to encounter the wildlife that you mention, nearly all of which have long ago been recycled for consumption or else sold on for a less endangered existence in the nearby Knowsley Safari Park. I fear that, sadly, the environs of Speke (where Liverpool airport is built) are decidedly less bucolic than your Finnish woodland.   

Mind you, as runway hazards go, a Liverpudlian aadvark would certainly add some variety to the usual reasons for a go-around, especially if the confused creature was ambling down the runway in daylight.   

Cheers,

Brian
(PSX pedant)
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Floridian EGPWS:

SINKHOLE! PULL UP! SINKHOLE! PULL UP!

RogerH

Glad you sorted it, Aardvarks notwithstanding... :-)

brian747

@Jeroen

@Roger

Your help was much appreciated. And, intriguing though Martin's vision of Liverpool airport in a parallel universe undoubtedly is, it's probably just as well that generally all we have to contend with there are familiar everyday problems, such as a runway that is not over-long by 744 standards.   

Although, speaking as a recreational simmer for some decades who is only just beginning to explore X-Plane, I am enormously impressed by the vast range of free airports created by the X-P community (in addition to the ones that come with the sim). Yesterday I escaped from the seemingly unrelenting rain here in Hampshire with a trip across the Caribbean from Jamaica to St Maarten — very sunny and cheering, and my thanks to the X-Plane.org site and the maker of the airport for a great (and free) version of TNCM.

(The image looked better at its native size of 3440x1440 px, but you get the idea).

Cheers,

Brian

martin

Quote from: Brianbut you get the idea

Full size here.

Cheers,
Martin

brian747

Aaaargh! Not the Aaaardvarks again!     

Martin, are you sure you're not smoking certain "medicinal compounds"?     

Hmm, or perhaps I need to revisit the optician — it has to be one or the other....   

Cheers,

Brian

martin

Quote from: Brianyou sure you're not smoking certain "medicinal compounds"?
Strict non-smoker, never even tried.
Just following the Internet and debugging ELVis (not Elvis*) -- same effect.
;D

* It may seem overly pedantic that I keep using this spelling, but it matters.
For one thing Unices (and thus probably MacOS?) are case-sensitive.
Moreover, these days one cannot be cautious enough, as the following incident demonstrates.

Two years ago a 13-year old girl got under threat of lawsuits because she painted a picture, put "Winter is coming" as a title in it, and uploaded it to some "social media" website as a competition entry.
The website then "pro-actively" removed the title from the picture to prevent being sued by the "Games of Thrones" copyright holders and send her a rather frightening letter about that.
So when I see the first snow falling, I can no longer say "Winter is coming"**, but have to use alternative phrasing, such as "The times, they are a-changin'..." Oh wait...

** Exercise for the reader: Would "Winter is coming tee-emm" be legally acceptable?

Sources (other than the Daily Mail which also carried the story, perhaps even first):
¤ here
¤ and (more precisely: it wasn't HBO directly, it was the website, "pro-actively") here,
¤ and here is the letter she got for her troubles.

brian747

QuoteStrict non-smoker, never even tried

Hmm. You mean you don't even steam a bit, from time to time??     

Quote...as the following incident demonstrates...

Ah yes, a good example of the veracity of the well-known English saying (attributed to Dickens but in fact dating back to the 17th century): the law is an ass.**

** An ass in the English meaning of the word — a donkey (in other words, stupid) — that is. Not in the American sense of the word, naturally.

But in a world where what used to be referred to as "common sense" is becoming rarer than the proverbial hens' teeth, what can one expect.   <sigh>   

However, since we appear to be wandering somewhat from the original topic (which is not entirely unknown in our discussions) perhaps we should transfer this debate to our usual communication channel....   

Cheers,

Brian