News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Visual PSX and FS9.

Started by Mariano, Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:58

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Zinger: unfortunately MSFS does not support a Java program as component inside itself, so the current solution with a bridge program is as good as it will get.

Hoppie

Garry Richards

Quote from: jlpilotHi Gary,

Just out of curiosity, is the FS9 Visual PSX a dead project or is it still under consideration? Just can't seem to beat the frame rates and performance of FS9 with today's processing power and, it doesn't look half bad with Active Sky and a few add-on airports. :mrgreen:

Kind regards,

Jermaine.

Quote from: Garry Richards
Quote from: Garry RichardsIf there is enough interest I would consider writing an FS9 version as well, so if others are keen to see this please indicate your wish in this thread.
Why, oh why, did I write that? :roll:
Hi Jermaine, sorry, I will not be revisiting FS9. You might like to try the latest version of Prepar3d which offers very good performance I am told.

Kind regards,
Garry

jlpilot

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply. People seem to be getting mixed results with Prepar3d V2.3. The thing I'm most concerned about is the stutters. I'll most probably go the Prepar3d route anyways and see what results I get. I suppose I can always turn down the eye candy to get the performance I'm looking for.

Kind regards,

Jermaine.

QuoteHi Jermaine, sorry, I will not be revisiting FS9. You might like to try the latest version of Prepar3d which offers very good performance I am told.

Kind regards,
Regards,

Jermaine.

RogerH

Shame about FS9 - I can't afford to change to FSX or P3D because of needing much more expensive hardware. If I buy that, I can't afford PSX...

I realise this thread is very old, but thought I'd just resurrect it - I think there are a lot of users out there still getting their enjoyment from FS9.

I have done a smattering of programming over the years using things like VisualBasic, LUA etc.

I am totally willing to put the hours in to try to produce something like VisualPSX for FS9 - but would need an awful lot of help and guidance.

Seems to me one way of going forward would be to put a copy of FS9 into SLEW mode, as per WideView, and drive it over the network.

This presumably would involve writing an interface which would extract the relevant data from PSX and send it to FS9 as IPX or TCP/IP data.

How hard can it be? ;-P

Anyone want to take me on as an apprentice?

Cheers,

Roger
Edit: OK, if no-one wants to take me on as an apprentice (I am 60 after all...) How about some pointers? As far as I can see, one needs to extract a few simple data from PSX, parse them into FS9 format and send them to FS9. FS9 needs to be accessed for data input and the data inserted (presumably with it in Slew mode). Can anyone help?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It's not that people don't want to, and your age certainly has nothing to do with it, rest assured (hey, I'm getting there, too). Actually your predecessor sort of retired from doing exactly this, for about 15 years, and he gave up when newer tech became available with enormously better results with much less effort.

FS9 and friends really are unhappy when you try to use them as scenery generators. The data path is simple, the implementation outrageously complex, unstable, and a source of endless worry.

The main reason you didn't get a lot of response is that this path has been walked 15 years with some success but eventually turned out to be a dead end. It's not feasible to create a really quality solution compared to newer sims that are much more open to be downgraded to a camera.

I hope others will back me up with actual experiences. I myself never did the scenery thing in the first place...

Hoppie

RogerH

Hey Hippie,

Thanks for the response.

Heh! My reference to my age was just a joke - obviously it has nothing to do with it. Its probably because I'm so ugly...

In my ignorance (which as we all know is bliss) I imagined a setup similar to Luciano Napolitano's WideView.

In fact, one could easily imagine WideView on the FS9 machine being driven by a data stream which disguises itself as WideView from the PSX machine.

I assume the difficulties lie in differing scenery, elevation maps etc.

Ah well, back to the drawing board for me. I am on a very small budget. I have FS9 running beautifully on my rather older PCs. I saw that PSX would also run on these machines.

I realised there had been some development done, but assumed it was dead because of the natural desire to progress. FS9 is old technology now, although there are thousands of us still using it.

Thanks again,

Roger.

Gary Oliver

Roger,

What is the spec of your existing PC?  The latest version of P3D V4 is actually very smooth now.

Cheers
Gary

RogerH

Hi Gary,

AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10Ghz
RAM 8GB DDR3
SATA HD
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1
GPU AMD Radeon HD6670 2GB

Not really built for gaming - got it off Son-in-Law when his office upgraded! Still the best machine I ever had. Previous was Pentium 4 with 512K GPU and 4GB RAM.

Any advice welcome.

I'm a bit of a systems nut and have loved the PMDG and iFly 738s for the ability to emulate RW procedures more accurately. PSX seems to be the ultimate in that!

Just had a look at the Prepar3d store and saw Academic licence at $60 - could possibly stretch to that at a pinch if this machine will run it. Proabaly a good old tune-up needed. I know AMD have a built-in utility for clocking the GPU.

Thanks,

Roger.

Hm. A perusal of the system requirements shows my system as the very minimum required - not sure if my GPU supports DX11 - ah! It does.

Last edit - I've found Xplane10 will run at 20fps with reasonable rendering settings - I know Xplane 11 has problems on Vatsim with Groundspeed - does that apply to Xplane 10 too? Thanks, Roger.