News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Future of Overhead Panels

Started by andrej, Tue, 5 Nov 2019 14:44

andrej

Dear all,
recently Gulfstream introduced G700 (https://www.gulfstream.com/aircraft/gulfstream-g700). It goes without saying that it looks great and being able to own one (and finance its continuous operations) would be very nice.

However, one thing strike me as change in a previous philosophy. The overhead panels are mainly now three LCD touch ("LCD") displays. Overall, LCD displays are getting placed pretty much everywhere nowadays (for example even Audi A6 and A8 have them). For one, it offers greater user experience, and for the OEM's reduces cost (instead of many subsystems, and switches) and weight. I am sure that LCDs panels are the future (unless something even more cheaper to produce and operate will replace them).

But, what about when there is a smoke in the cabin. Are there instances when you are totally "blind" or do you have a good vision and main concern is the oxygen? Or the concern is that you don't really rely on the overhead panel at that particular time and concentrate on flying the plane?

I am to be corrected, but some tome ago I read that McD airplanes had different shapes and forms of switches. The reason was that in case of low visibility in the cabin, pilots will be sure what switch they are pushing/touching. Or is this an urban myth?

Would you prefer to fly with switches or are you OK with LCDs? Or am I making a storm in a teacup?  :o

Thanks!
Andrej

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Me not pilot. Me simple engineer.

Quote from: andrej on Tue,  5 Nov 2019 14:44
I am to be corrected, but some tome ago I read that McD airplanes had different shapes and forms of switches. The reason was that in case of low visibility in the cabin, pilots will be sure what switch they are pushing/touching. Or is this an urban myth?

Even our 744 has this feature. Most co-located switches have distinctively different shapes, although things do repeat further away. It is not only useful for "blind" ops, but also to warn your muscle memory if you mistakenly reach for the next-door switch. It feels differently than you unconsciously expect and this is another layer of protection.

Like when I reach for the blinker lever of my car and feel that the headlights switch is not in its usual position. Very tiny difference but the bump is noticed by your fingers and alerts you.

Hoppie

RogerH

I was quite proud of myself when I realised the shapes of the flap and spoiler levers resembled their physical counterparts - or that the colours of throttle/mixture/propellor levers have an allusion to what they control.

So much thought and design go into stuff that we never really know.

Will

QuoteI am to be corrected, but some tome ago I read that McD airplanes had different shapes and forms of switches

No need to be corrected, and that philosophy was mandated to some extent by the FAA. This is why every aircraft has a landing gear lever that has a little wheel on it, and every flap lever has a little flap on it. (Did you ever notice that?)
Will /Chicago /USA