News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Internet is off message (METAR

Started by pacwest18, Thu, 31 Oct 2019 05:41

pacwest18

Hello.  I haven't come across too many posts on this topic.  As of a few days ago (10/26), I keep getting the "Internet is off" message on the Weather config tab.  I don't recall changing any setting on my computer.  I've tried running PSX under both Java 1.8.0_231 and 13.0.1, but the result is the same.  There are no outbound network traffic restrictions that I know of in my firewall settings.  It appears I can no longer use the automatic weather download feature.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?  I'm running PSX on a Windows 10 machine.  I also use a VPN, but disabling the VPN service didn't seem to fix the PSX issue either.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Btw, Java 13.0.1 seems to significantly alter the layout of the 1920x1080 screen layout setup.  I liked it much better under 1.8.x.  Any random tips on if I can systemically correct this or do I have do create a custom layout specifically for Java 13?

Hardy Heinlin

Hello,

there is a checkbox to enable METAR downloads on Instructor > Preferences > Basics. If the METAR connection fails permanently, the checkbox is automatically deselected.

What has changed on your layout? Do you use Windows or OSX?

I have Java 12 on OSX and see no problems. The layout is actually PSX code, not Java code. Java just provides the desktop frame.

Regards,

|-|ardy

pacwest18

Hi Hardy,

The checkbox to enable METAR downloads is always checked for me with the status showing internet is off and next download is in STBY mode.

Regarding the layout, I can provide a more specific writeup later, but in summary, some of the views are more zoomed in by default under Java 13.x compared to Java 1.8.x.  For example, under the first officer or captain views, the section that shows the PFD and ND is zoomed in under Java 13.x to the point where I can only really see the ND.  Under Java 1.8, both the PFD and ND are effectively in view under the default 1920x1080 layout provided out-of-the-box in PSX.

I am using Windows 10 on a monitor whose default resolution is 1920x1080.

Kind regards,
Stacius

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Stacius.

Quote from: pacwest18 on Fri,  1 Nov 2019 20:15
The checkbox to enable METAR downloads is always checked for me with the status showing internet is off and next download is in STBY mode.

That status is shown near the checkbox on the Weather pages. I mean a different checkbox: It's on the Basics page on Instructor > Preferences > Basics.

Quote from: pacwest18 on Fri,  1 Nov 2019 20:15
... some of the views are more zoomed in by default under Java 13.x compared to Java 1.8.x.

This sounds like a high resolution setting (e.g for Retina displays) is selected in your Microsoft Windows. But if you write "some of the views" it's very strange. If the scale is twice as high, it should affect all graphics.

I hope you can still zoom in any subframe you like?

Regards,

|-|ardy

pacwest18

Ah, thanks.  I didn't read carefully enough.  Rechecking the METAR option on the basic preferences page fixed the problem.

As for the zoomed display issue, is there a way for me to attach screenshots to a post?  When I click on the "insert image" button, it just puts markup brackets in the post expecting a URL.  I can't seem to upload an image from my computer.

I have two screenshots comparing the Captain Flying view under the two different Java versions.  The difference isn't huge, but it is noticeable enough that it would require a user to adjust the presets to get an equivalent layout under both Java versions.

The best way I can describe in writing is that if you focus on the PFD, under 1.8.x, you can completely see the FMA readouts.  Under Java 13.0.1, the PFD is "zoomed" in such that the FMA area is completely cutoff and the "No VSPD" message is cutoff by the adjacent panel to the left.

I am running PSX 10.92 on Windows 10 using a monitor that uses native 1920x1080 resolution (so no Retina level resolutions are involved here).

Cheers,
Stacius

Holger Wende

pacwest18