News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

How to: Audio for Vatsim (AFV) with PSX+XP11 (with xView)

Started by Hammerstan, Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:48

J D ADAM

Thank you John for your reply.

I have a yoke from a B757 with all the necessary accoutrements and thus i would like to use the PTT switch which at present is used only for push back.

AS I have 8 fingers on each hand I am very prone to not type in the exact changes to the clientconfig.xml so I decided to cut and past, only changing the IP address.

Unfortunately no success so will plug along and try to sort out my problem. Mark will assess to the fact my network is a conundrum in itself!

Cheers

Derek

J D ADAM

John

"Mark will attest to"     DUH          Still struggling to get the program to work.

Although I did not fly "Round the World" I  listened to the interplay between the flyers and ATC and it proved how great Audio for Vatsim worked.  Take a bow gentlemen for a classic program.

Cheers
Derek

J D ADAM

Good Morning John,
I now have Audio for Vatsim  connecting. Eureka .  As I said in my previous note I went through the recommended  alteration to the file letter by letter and then I found my eighth finger on one hand had caused chaos! Am I allowed to be slightly stupid at the age of 83!!!!
However one more question. I have established  keyboard "H" as the PTT assignment. I chose this because it matched the PTT key in PSX. Do I expect the PTT switch on my yoke to connect to Vatsim?

Cheers
Derek

Hammerstan

Quote from: J D ADAM on Fri,  8 Nov 2019 21:29
I have established  keyboard "H" as the PTT assignment. I chose this because it matched the PTT key in PSX. Do I expect the PTT switch on my yoke to connect to Vatsim?

If you have the AFV standalone client working in PSX mode by changing the ClientConfig.xml, the only PTT key you need to set up is the PSX PTT key, which will route voice via AFV standalone client to the vatsim client (vPilot,  XSquawkbox, etc).  You must use the PSX PTT talk key for all voice transmissions, therefore your yoke PTT key must be bound to the PSX PTT key.

J D ADAM

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have always used my PTT switch on the yoke for push back

Can I therefore assume that if AudioforVatsim is connecting (showing the frequency's  as set in PSX)  and recording the established  the frequency is set /on the left VHF / the mike is selected and incoming sound is set,  that it should automatically work on vatsim

Cheers
Derek

John Golin

If you have mapped your hardware to the PSX internal PTT - yes.

Before you test your yoke, in PSX use the R/T switch on the ACP you set the AFV config file.

If it's all set correctly and everything is connected to VATSIM, the TX should light up in AFV when you hold the switch to R/T in PSX.

John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

J D ADAM

Thank you John and Hammerstan,

I now have it working. The problem lay in the fact my ClientConfig.xml file was not absolutely perfect!!!!!!!!
It has taken a long time to get the result and now my additional concern will be to remember transferring from my push back man and ATC!

Thank you gentlemen and good wishes to you both.
Derek
NZAA

J D ADAM

First flight today and everything went perfectly (which I accept is normal in PSX) Had ATC at both YSSY and NZAA,
but as I have a hearing deficit (age related) I feel like the proverbial "one armed paperhanger.   Oh the joy it must be to have a first officer.   AudioforVatsim a great program.

Cheers
Derek

Martin Baker

Hello. I have been using PSX/P3D/Vpilot successfully with the new voice client, but it only allows me to use VHFL.

Am I right in thinking that if I use the Audio for Vatsim programme along with Vpilot, I can use both VHF L & R? If so, what do I need to do with the .cfg settings to make that work? I've followed the instruction for the .cfg file earlier in this thread but AFV still only works on the L radio.

Many thanks, M

Martin Baker

I had a fiddle and seem to have answered my own question: by changing <psxComRadio>1</psxComRadio> to  <psxComRadio>0</psxComRadio> either VHF radio can now be selected for transmission using the PSX MIC buttons, and both will receive. Hope to test it online later. M

petdocvmd

I have AFV set up and working with PSX 10.93, XSquawkbox, XP-11, and XView.  However PSX freezes up on me every 10 minutes or so. I have to terminate Java in task manager, restart PSX, and load one of the A/B situations.  It is happening consistently.  No other add-ons are running.  This is a single Win 10 PC.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?  It's a shame, because while working it is perfect!  My frame rate in XP11 is never lower than 35, and typically 50-60 at altitude, while PSX is 72.  There's no indication that anything is about to happen prior to the freeze.  It is not location based, as my restarts are usually a few minutes prior to where I was when it happened, and I pass through that location without issue.

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

cagarini

petdocvmd,

don't know how to help with your problem, but yestreday, in anticipation for the upcoming NG FMC, I installed XP11 again, fetched an old version of XView, filled in the ".cfg" file that goes into the main XP11 folder, and started the two sims as I always had done in the past.

Strangely the xview,cfg kept been updated by some process, and got the original IPs that came with teh version kindly made available by one here at the forum. I always had to restart XP11 and PSX, make sure:

.) In PSX Main server started;
.) In PSX Boost server started;
.) That unknown to me process didn't magically change again the IPs from my set 127.0.0.1 to some private 10.... network used by the original CFG

I had placed the XView, as I always do, inside of the XView aircraft instead of in the main XP plugins folder, in order not to interfere with other aircraft when I run XP 11 with the Toliss A319.

Running all in a single PC, the same old i56 2500 16 GB DDR3, but where it used to be smnooth as silk, it's now a festival of stutters, while PSX and XP11 each run very smooth and at good frames when single.

Might be something with the latest XP11 updates, don't know :-/

[EDIT - found the cuprit... been there done that...] Have to make sure that if in the plugin I enable Weather transfer from PSX into XP then in XP11 I have to set "Manual Weather" instead of "Real World Weather" otherwise both are trying to set the weather at the same time continually, and that causes the stutters... But still, I'll need to finally add a 2nd PC to run XP11 apart from PSX...

Hammerstan

QuoteI have AFV set up and working with PSX 10.93, XSquawkbox, XP-11, and XView.  However PSX freezes up on me every 10 minutes or so. I have to terminate Java in task manager, restart PSX, and load one of the A/B situations.

This may not be AFV related.  I often encounter PSX freezes with Xview.  Suggest you don't reload the A/B autosave situations (as it may have an issue causing the subsequent freezes), but rather a clean fresh situation you know hasn't had prior issues (eg a PSX stock situation).  My procedure is to restart the server first then all clients.  My startup protocol to minimise a freeze event is to start the server, position the aircraft, start XP11/XView, then when confirmed stable, start all PSX clients.

Captain_Crow

Hi guys,
Just to inform you:

I tried out to use Swift for Vatsim and after a while of not understanding the setup, I´ve now got it to work.
Two problems remaining:
1. No GND Speed transmitted by X-Plane slave
2.The Transponder mode C isn´t transmitted, but after several on and off switching the knob, ATC stated Yes you are identified.
Everything else runs well...
Best
Steff

petdocvmd

Quote from: Hammerstan on Thu, 30 Jan 2020 10:06
QuoteI have AFV set up and working with PSX 10.93, XSquawkbox, XP-11, and XView.  However PSX freezes up on me every 10 minutes or so. I have to terminate Java in task manager, restart PSX, and load one of the A/B situations.

This may not be AFV related.  I often encounter PSX freezes with Xview.  Suggest you don't reload the A/B autosave situations (as it may have an issue causing the subsequent freezes), but rather a clean fresh situation you know hasn't had prior issues (eg a PSX stock situation).  My procedure is to restart the server first then all clients.  My startup protocol to minimise a freeze event is to start the server, position the aircraft, start XP11/XView, then when confirmed stable, start all PSX clients.

What made me feel this was XSB/AFV - related was that I had done just what you described: I have a saved situation for a flight from KORD-KBOS that starts as a short turnaround.  I've flown it a couple of times using XP11/XView without XSB/AFV with no issues.  I've tried twice with XSB/AFV, and both times PSX froze after about 10 min (and freq thereafter with attempted A/B situation reloads as I tried to salvage the flight).

I'm going to try runs with XPilot and Swift this weekend.

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

petdocvmd

Quote from: petdocvmd on Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:53
I'm going to try runs with XPilot and Swift this weekend.
Scott

After a number of test flight configurations, here are my observations:

- PSX will crash (freezes) occasionally with baseline XP11 + XView.
- Crash rate *greatly* increases if I run any VATSIM client.

Wish I was adept enough at programming to update XView and keep it going.  As it stands, any VATSIM flying will have to be with P3D, where I do not get crashes, but at the cost of significantly lower frame rates  :-\

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

Gary Oliver

Gents,

Have you tried running AFV standalone behind the simstack router from John and Rob?

Thats my setup in the sim and I do not get PSX freezes.  Maybe there is an AFV side bug that the routers saving us from?

Cheers
G

PS: Promising progress on a standalone PSX VATSIM client... however will say more once I get a third party to agree to something :-)

petdocvmd

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Mon,  3 Feb 2020 16:13
Have you tried running AFV standalone behind the simstack router from John and Rob?

No, didn't know this was an option!  Will give it a try.

PS: Promising progress on a standalone PSX VATSIM client... however will say more once I get a third party to agree to something :-)

Sounds promising!

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

Toga

J D ADAM

Gentlemen,

I had AFV working fine requiring only one reconnect after red  warning of a disconnect. I am afraid everything fell apart with the updates!

With the updates I initially connect   (i.e. "Connected  to voice server.(in yellow)) followed nearly immediately by  (Disconnected from voice server. Reason:Lost server connection (in red))"

Then immediately ("Voice will attempt to automatically reconnect(in red")) which it does.

The sequence continues infinitem.

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Derek

Also  The settings for the frequency of PSX are displayed  on both VPilot and AFV. But the switch on my yoke is not responding to the setting "H"   I have tried different servers.