News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

USB devices lose their definitions when adding or removing devices

Started by Pipsara, Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:40

Pipsara

Hi apologies if this has been answered before but I searched without success for a relevant post.
My problem is that I have a group of Saitek and Thrust master devices plugged into my main PSX machine, I spend a lot of time setting up the USB definitions which work OK.
However if I remove a device or add another one , I find that the definitions have changed and a throttle axis becomes mapped to a joystick axis for instance. I then have to go through a lengthy process of reassignment and calibration
Is it possible for the mappings in the USB preferences panel to be associated with the HID device description so that the assignments are explicitly associated with each unique device. This is similar to the way FSUIPC works in FSX and P3D etc.
Regards Mike

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Mike,

the problem is:
In the Java USB interface, USB parts have numbers, and some hardware parts don't even have names.

Some previous related discussions:
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5046.msg53958#msg53958

Regards,

|-|ardy

Pipsara

Many thanks Hardy for the explanation. I will just have to be careful to always replug into the same usb port.
Once I finally get everything connected it should be ok.
Kind regards Mike

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I do not have much experience with large USB concoctions.

Would it work to get, say, a 16 port USB hub, plug in everything there in a fixed position (glue it! :-) ), and then plug the whole circus into one and always the same port on your computer of choice?

simbro

Hi Mike,

Maybe VirtualHere could be of use to you?

https://www.virtualhere.com/home

It provides the possibility of 'virtualising' your USB devices by making them available via a network.

Regards
Simon

Pipsara

Thanks Simon, that's very interesting...I will have a look at it
Regards Mike

Pipsara

Hi Simon, I checked out the free trial of "Virtualhere" this afternoon and it worked beautifully, I can keep all my controllers working in Aerowinx, installed on the main Aerowinx server pc and simply switch them into my P3Dv4 machine when I want to run my Ifly737  and pmdg aircraft. As long as the aerowinx server isn't running when I switch them in and out,it doesn't lose the usb definitions.
It's much simpler and easier to manage than unplugging and replugging or using some usb switch boxes.
After testing it with one joystick, which is all the trial edition allows, I bought the full version straightaway. It costs $59 dollars but more than worth it. I've only scratched the surface as to what it can do, I know that it can allow any sort of client, even raspberry pi etc.
Many thanks for letting me know about it.
Kind regards Mike

simbro

Hi Mike,

Glad I could help by suggesting a possible solution to your issues.

I'm running VirtualHere on a QNAP TS231P2 NAS with a 7-port USB hub attached to it - all connected devices are freely available to all my machines (Win & Mac) on my LAN...

Regards
Simon

United744

The problem seems to be by using a hub that doesn't permit the USB root hub to ID each device.

I never use hubs, and I can move my hardware around without problems. The difference is I'm plugging into separately identifiable ports, and so the system doesn't get "confused".

I suspect your hardware is reverting to USB 1.1 mode for addressing, where it doesn't care for device ID (added in USB 2.0 spec). It relies on "who answers first".