News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Sound issue with PSX

Started by Dirk Schepmann, Mon, 8 Jul 2019 23:15

Dirk Schepmann

Hi Hardy,

I think this is the first time I ask for technical support regarding the sim and not the 747-400.  ;)

Yesterday I was wondering why the ATC robot didn't work. I was standing on the ground, ready for engine start and couldn't hear any ATC. First, I checked all switches and knobs on the ACPs and checked CPLDC. Nothing unusual. Also no change with a different SITU.

Finally I checked the sound directory and I think I found the problem. Some of the audio directories are empty... they just contain a single file with a size of 0 KB, e.g.

"87 Charlotte" in the "Carla" subfolder
"74 Charlotte" in the "Michel" subfolder
"82 Michel" in the "Matisse" subfolder
"117 Michel" in the "Mirabelle" subfolder

Only in the folders of "Charlotte" and "Peter" I can see 285 sound files. I don't think that this is intentional, correct?

I suspect that it has something to do with a recent change in my computer. I moved the whole Aerowinx folder from a secondary HDD to the system disc (SSD) two weeks ago. I still don't know why this happened, though. Looks like something went wrong during the file transfer.

I'll probably have to re-install PSX. Is there any possibility to keep all the button and axis assignments? Or can I try to replace the original sound files from the DVD? I'm running PSX 10.81.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Dirk

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Dirk,

this is intentional. An empty folder belongs to an ATC clone which refers to a specific, non-empty folder. The clone plays the sounds in the reference folder at a different pitch, e.g. "82 Michel" means the clone plays Michel's wav files at a playback rate of 82%, i.e. the voice is slower and lower.

So you can create your own clones. E.g.:

In the ATC folder make a subfolder named "MickyMouse".
In this subfolder create an empty text file named "150 Michel" (file name, not file content).
Restart PSX and select MickyMouse on the Instructor's ATC or ATIS page.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Dirk Schepmann

Hi Hardy,

thank-you for the prompt reply.

I see. So there must be a different reason why the ATC robot didn't work.
Perhaps it was just pure coincidence. If I can reproduce it, I'll send a SITU file. Maybe I overlooked something.

Best regards,
Dirk

Dirk Schepmann

Hi,

A small update from my side.

Unfortunately, the sound issues with the ATC Robot persisted. And on top of that, I also noticed that the spoken checklists didn't work.

It seemed very unlikely that the problems were caused by PSX (the internal file structure was unchanged), so I moved the folder back from the SSD system disc to the second HDD. And voilĂ : problem solved.

Obviously PSX should stay out of the ,,Programs" folder of Windows 10 (no matter if ,,Program files (X86)" or ,,Program files" and it doesn't like the ,,Documents" folder, neither.  I didn't expect this because I have already turned off quite a few of the restrictive Windows 10 security features, e.g. UAC is completely off. An exclusion of the Aerowinx Folder in the infamous Windows Defender also didn't help.

Just wanted to share this in case that someone runs into the same trap and has some spurious problems.

Best regards,
Dirk

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

SSD versus HDD should by itself not be any problem. However there obviously is some Windows setting that is different between the two. That is the problem; not the SSD.

Dirk Schepmann

Absolutely.

Windows 10 is the culprit.... the usual suspect I'd say.  :P

Note: original post edited for clarity.

RRVyper

Dirk, check your speaker setup in Windows. Perhaps you have stereo speakers but things are set to 7.1. If you have Realtek, check for the Realtek HD Audio Manager in the Notification area. In there you can select the speaker configuration to match your hardware. If not then try Settings/System/Sound then Device Properties under Output, and finally Additional device properties under Related Settings. Perhaps something in there is amiss.

Randy

Dirk Schepmann

Hi RRVyper,

Thanks for the hint. But I already checked that before I installed PSX (because I'm running P3D on my system as well). And the sound configuration would not change by moving the stuff onto a different harddisk on the same computer.

Perhaps the problem could be resolved by a systematic check of all relevant Windows 10 security settings, but in my case it was easier to just move the directory to a different place. PSX doesn't need a SSD for optimum performance, anyway. It runs totally smooth with 70 fps even with P3D running simultaneously in the background (although I often prefer to run PSX as a standalone sim).

Best regards,
Dirk

RRVyper

Sigh. I just re-read your previous post and somehow I had missed that you fixed it by moving the PSX folder off the system disk. Strange, but glad it's solved. It's possible that it's a security issue, but I have it running on my system disk without issue.

Randy

asboyd

Be aware that Windows 10 (and 8 as well) sets up all system folders (and some user folders) with the ownership being "system". The system protection apps will stop new versions from updating files correctly when installed inside these folders. If you expect to be changing/updating files regularly then always install outside the normal installation paths.
I always install my apps in the root directories of my drives (eg C:\SIOC, E:\Aerowinx, etc).

Even with UAC turned off updates and config files can be set to read only by the system protection sentries......

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia