News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

subLOGIC A.T.P / flight assignment list

Started by Dirk Schepmann, Tue, 18 Jun 2019 00:20

Dirk Schepmann

Hi all,

Surely many of you are still familiar with the famous subLOGIC ATP sim. For me this is basically the simulator which got it all started.  :)

Of course I don't want to give it a new try (although it would be tempting to just run in it in a DOSBox, should probably work).

But I liked the concept of the flight assignments within ATP at given weather conditions. If I recall correctly, there were 96 flights. My idea is to fly these 96 flights with PSX one after another and set the weather conditions accordingly (i.e. VFR conditions at departure and IFR at destination - I think that was all the information provided in the ATP manual).

Should be fun and keep me busy for awhile. Real weather could be challenging, too. But I don't know why, every time I fly around in the US with real weather data, the weather conditions are usually fine. Never had any fog in KSFO or a winter storm in KORD. Windy yes, but no issues with clouds. I am sure Jon can tell different stories.  :)

But anyway, unfortunately I can't find my ATP boxes anymore (I had the red and the blue one). My wife recalled that they are stored in the cellar but it turned out it was the old ,,aerowinx PS1" box. For her, each cockpit looks the same....  :D

Does anyone here happen to have the manual and can make me a copy of just the 2 or 3 pages with the flight assignment list? That's all I need. I thought it would be easy to find on the internet but that's not the case or I haven't been thorough enough.

Thanks and best regards,
Dirk

beat578

Hi Dirk
Oh yes, Memories coming up... :) I had that one too.
I found a link: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/flight-assignment-airline-transport-pilot-w9
I could not look if you could download the manual there as well (because of internet restricions at my office). But mabe It would be there somewhere? Because unfortunately I got rid of the old Programs quite some time ago and don't have that box anymore.
Cheers
Beat

cagarini

I had Rev D :-)

Then Airline Simulator 2 was yet another passion, right before I bought PS1 :-)

Will search the Rev D manual at my office - not sure I didn't throw it to the trash long ago though :-/ - and report back.

Dirk Schepmann

Hi jcomm,

Thank you very much.  :)

There are many sites where you can download the abandoned software for free, but most of them just include the quick flying guide.

But you are right, lots of memories are coming up. I also had Airline Sim 2 by LAGO later on which already simulated Atlantic crossings in a quite realistic way (given the possibilities at that time).

Unfortunately, ATP and AS2 couldn't keep up with the speed at which Microsoft pushed their flight simulator and most of the community moved to FS98 and FS2002.

Interestingly, the AS2 forum on Simon's website is still alive and it appears that there are still folks around flying with ATP and AS2 these days. Amazing!

Best,
Dirk

brian747

Hi Dirk!

Ah yes, I well remember the many happy hours I spent with ATP!   

I have retained both manuals. They were both published in 1990: the red (now faded to brown, on the bookshelf) being the first edition, and the blue the second edition.

The blue edition has 25 more pages than the red, with the biggest difference being in chapter 17 ("Welcome to SubLOGIC Airlines") — in the red manual this chapter consisted of a mere 3½ pages, whilst in the blue it had been expanded to 15½ pages. And in the second edition the last three of those extra pages in chapter 17 (OK, 2½ in fact) contained the list of "Career Flight Assignment Airports & Aircraft" that you seek.

You can download a zip containing scans of those pages from this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/79t5lkw03efjcmi/ATP%20Blue%20manual%20pp%20174%20-%20176.zip?dl=0

(The link will remain active for one month).

Have fun!   

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Dirk Schepmann

Dear Brian,

Thank-you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for.  :)

Now even more memories are surfacing.... I remember that I was stuck at one assignment in the past. I always got the same radar vectors all over again and never managed to land without breaking the ATC instructions - and then the flight was not accepted. Later I found out that Simon Hradecky wrote a tool to iron out exactly these bugs.

Well, time to go flying.

Best regards,
Dirk

Dirk Schepmann

Quick update:

I couldn't resist to download and install Rev. D. on my computer yesterday. Worked perfectly with DOSbox. Now I can even display the weather briefing for each of the flights and easily replicate it in PSX.

Even my wife was interested to have a look and couldn't believe that this simulation (or game as she calls it, LOL) got me hooked when I was 17 years old.

And now, some 20 years later we have global navdata and people are complaining when the interiors of terminals or fully animated jetways are not modeled, or in professional simulation like PSX discussing about tiny details of FMC options. Time and progress have really moved forward...  :)

It should be noted that the whole file of ATP was only 1 MB in size and that even included more than the default scenery!!!! Incredible.

Best,
Dirk

cagarini

That's great news!

Unortunately my old model got lost :-/

How did you download Rev D ?

There was also a Rev E - CD

Dirk Schepmann

Quote from: jcomm on Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:46
That's great news!

Unortunately my old model got lost :-/

How did you download Rev D ?

There was also a Rev E - CD

Hi jcomm,

Correct, I also found ATP Rev. E on the following site hosting lots of old and abandoned DOS software (free registration required)

https://vetusware.com/manufacturer/subLOGIC/?author=2696

This even includes the US East and West sceneries by subLOGIC which were released shortly after ATP Rev. D. in 1993.

I even tried to get 3DAGS running, the famous add-on with highly detailed photo realistic panels. Well, it works with DOSBox, but there is an annoying graphic issue which I couldn't resolve yet. From time to time, the whole screen is unreadable and distorted. I think it is an issue with the emulation of the S3 video cards with my current graphic card. I'll try it on my old MacBook tomorrow to see if there's an improvement.

Funny enough:
I even found a long article about ATP by our valued forum member Markus Vitzethum on this site:
http://simpilot.net/~stotzer/history.html

The world is small...  :)

frumpy

Did anyone of you get the vetusware ATP running on native DOS?
I tried both D and E revisions with an S3 graphics card, installed everything
as instructed and set the ATP_DIR variable. After entering "ATP" the screen
turns black and half a second later I'm back to DOS without any message.
Other programs run well (yes, PS13! ;) ), so I suppose it's not the FDIV-bug.

Markus Vitzethum

Hallo Dirk,

what a shame .... I completely missed this topic until now. ...

By chance, I came across this nice review last week (sorry, German language only). It was printed in a German language gaming magazine (sorry!) in April 1991. The reviewer wrote so enthusiastically about sublogic ATP that I immediately went to my favourite game store in Nuremberg to buy A.T.P....  and I became addicted to flying airliners within days.

https://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=10126

Markus

p,s,
Need to dig out the old disks... by the way, I still have all of the printed maps that came with ATP and US East/West.  :)