News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Air conditioning for my sim?

Started by GodAtum, Sat, 20 Apr 2019 18:44

GodAtum

It's about 40C in my sim atm. Looking to get air con, but the large static units are quite pricey to install. Would portable units be any good for a 5m x 5m room? Not sure what Gary uses?

Chris Kilroy

I live in Vegas (where temperatures routinely exceed 43c from June-August) and use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4XUWGI/

My sim room is a sealed, insulated garage that's 20x30ft (750sqft, 70sqm) and doubles as my office and home workspace so there's quite a bit of electronics running. In the afternoon on a really hot day the temperature may get up to 78-80F inside as the AC unit struggles to keep up, but even that is tolerable.

Gary Oliver

Godatum,

I bought the 18,000 BTU version of this

https://www.aircondirect.co.uk/p/865337/1000-btu-panasonic-powered-quick-connector-wall-mounted-inverter-air-conditioner-with-4-metres-pipe-kit-5-years-warranty

It is suitably overkill for the job and means the sim  room is either pleasingly cool in the summer or nice and warm in the winter.

Anyone with some basic DIY skills can fit them with the quick connect kit as it already comes pregassed and just needs a hole in the wall and wiring to a standard plug if you don't fancy doing any major electrical work.

Britjet and I fitted mine in a few hours (even after patching up the hole drilled in the wrong place and drilling the right one) using a diamond core drill.

I was getting silly quotes of several thousand for people to fit one that  was not as good.

Britjet

I've been meaning to mention this to Hardy for some time now. I don't think the overhead temperature controls do anything at all - a bit disappointing considering the quality of the rest of the simulation. Personally I think that 10.0.0 was better in this regard...

If it's 40C in your sim and you want true fidelity I suggest you install a fan heater? The 747 flight deck was consistently the hottest I have ever been in. It was standard practice on a turnaround even in Winter to turn the lights to "dim", window heat off and turn all rheostats down as well. There was also a continuing discussion as to whether the recircs should be on or off, or should we use 2 packs or 3. Some brave souls would occasionally open the escape hatch.

I can vouch for Gary's system - absolutely brilliant and whisper quiet. I will remember the fun of Gary drilling the hole in the wrong place for quite a while :-)

(I've got a DeLonghi portable unit in my sim room - otherwise - with the projectors on it gets uncomfortably warm in the summer - but like all portables it's too noisy really).

Peter.

GodAtum

Thanks for the replies. My DIY skills leave a lot to be desired unfortunately  ::) Might look on checkatrade for a handyman

ahaka

Just like Peter, I also have a portable unit (12 000 BTU).

With 3 projectors and 2 PCs The ac is already needed when the outside air is around 20c. Last summer was pretty hot with the highest outside temps being around 32-33c and it still got the job done but barely. It is a little noisy, as all portable units are, but no need to drill any holes to the wall.

One option is to stop using your sim for the hottest months and see what the world out there looks like. :)
Antti