News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

OPT altitude question...

Started by Darksidedriver, Tue, 16 Apr 2019 09:43

Darksidedriver

Hello again all.

How does the FMS determine the OPT altitude on the VNAV Cruise page? What variables are used? Thanks, Dave.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Dave,

there's a certain curve for optimum altitude in relation to gross weight. The FMC also takes airline specific performance data into account that are set on the FMC's PERF FACTORS page (rate of climb minima in CLB/CRZ, and minimum CRZ time).

|-|ardy

Darksidedriver

Thanks Hardy. Does airspeed get factored in? I was playing around yesterday changing winds aloft and seeing the effect on step advice and Econ speed. Complicated stuff a bit above my pay grade.

Hardy Heinlin

Command speed is used for MAX ALT.

However, MAX ALT may also have an influence on the OPT ALT, but I don't know exactly how the real FMC calculates this influence. Obviously, the OPT ALT never exceeds the MAX ALT. So, yes, one could say that the command speed indirectly influences the OPT ALT as well.

If you change the predicted tailwind components along the route (by wind data entries), not only the ECON speed values along the route will change but also the predicted groundspeeds will change, i.e. you will reach a certain gross weight earlier or later, and so you will also reach a certain gross weight related OPT ALT earlier or later. So the wind data affects two things: 1. ECON speed values (based on cost index and a specific tailwind factor), 2. ETA values (based on ECON speed and full tailwind component).

|-|

andmiz

The optimum altitude displayed is a function of your gross weight and your speed mode (ie the 6 possible modes - ECON, SEL Spd, LRC, EO LRC, EO SEL, EO Min Drag)