News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

ViewSonic X10-4K short throw projector

Started by GodAtum, Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:02

GodAtum

Just released ... looks very interesting with about 50ms input lag. Might be a nice upgrade to my 1080ps, but worried about the slow input lag.

https://www.richersounds.com/viewsonic-x10-4k.html

Gary Oliver

Got very excited until I found out the throw ratio is 0.8.... my current 1080p projectors are 0.5 :-(

GodAtum

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 16:13
Got very excited until I found out the throw ratio is 0.8.... my current 1080p projectors are 0.5 :-(

Ah I have the Optoma GT1080E so will need to move around a bit.

GodAtum

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 16:13

hey Gary, this new projector Xiaomi Mijia 4K has a throw of 0.233:1, but input lag is over 90ms. Not sure if that matters for flying?

Gary Oliver

Interesting...

Are we now at the point where 0.2 is too short throw for a curved screen to work?

Also it says 5000 lumens but only 1500 ANSI for picture source?  Anyone brave enough to give this a go for £1600?

Cheers
G

GodAtum

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Sat, 15 Jun 2019 15:06
Interesting...

Are we now at the point where 0.2 is too short throw for a curved screen to work?

Also it says 5000 lumens but only 1500 ANSI for picture source?  Anyone brave enough to give this a go for £1600?

Cheers
G

Does anyone have access to Immersive Designer PRO to see if the throw would work on a curved screen?

there's a great review here https://youtu.be/O8pMMRVLSyA

garys

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Sat, 15 Jun 2019 15:06
Interesting...

Cheers
G

Absolutely!
I had purchased 3 optima gt5500+ projectors with throw ratio of 0.25:1 to go with a Natvis curved screen . The projection was terrible with this setup. I sent the gt5500+ back and went with 1080gt darbee versions with the longer throw ratio as the setup was originally designed for.  I thought going with the ultra short throw would create a 210 degree visual system no problems, Instead I ended up with a view that was unworkable due to an over exaggerated bow of the image from each projector.

The red outline indicates the view when using the ultra short throw. As you can see, the keystone was uncorrectable even at max settings.

The gt5500+ uses a reverse mirror to project at such a short distance, as does the Xiaomi Mijia 4k ultra short throw. I'm sure the result would be the same just at a much better resolution.

Thanks Hoppie for adding the pic.

GodAtum

very interesting. regarding input lag, would over 80ms be acceptable for flying?

Hardy Heinlin

The FAA's maximum lag tolerance for the visual systems of a level D simulator is 150 ms.

Also, this value is more important to smaller, highly responsive aircraft than to heavy aircraft with great inertia.

For reference:
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/nsp/media/14CFR60_Searchable_Version.pdf

GodAtum

Thanks Hardy, very useful info. I am tempted by the ViewSonic X10-4K which is more of a standard short-throw projector. Shame they stopped doing a demo for Immersive Designer PRO  :-[

Gary Oliver

All,

I have just taken the plunge to fit these to my simulator after finding them for £1000 each in the Black Friday amazon sale.

Wow wow wow what a HUGE difference from the optima 1080s.  Amazingly clear and so much brighter.  Have also been able to turn off anti aliasing and get a performance boost enough to raise the settings in p3d :)

The 0.5 to 0.8 throw actually wasn't much of a problem after moving my projectors back about 10 inches.

My screen was probably far too big before.

Cheers
Gary

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

John Golin

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Wed,  4 Dec 2019 20:15

My screen was probably far too big before.

That's what she said.

I assume the 4K also helps with removing the screen door effect you get when your projectors are nicely focussed?

John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Britjet

I tried the X-10 in my sim but eventually gave up.  I have a 2 m radius screen. I found that the X-10 produced an image that was about 40% smaller than the Optima 1080, and in order to just cover my previous screen I would have had to move my projectors back about 15cm each - so not much really but it was enough to cause all the projectors to scrunch into each other and probably cause overheating problems in the future as each would be inducting the neighbour's exhaust. Also moving back potentially caused blanking by parts of the sim shell.
There's a very useful App called ProjectorPro which gives a very good idea of what any Projector will produce.
I also have Designer Pro but haven't used it in years - maybe I should dig it out.
The X-10 looked great too - and it's brighter than the Optoma - although not much, in my view - there are brighter units out there..
Peter.

GodAtum

Quote from: Britjet on Sun, 15 Dec 2019 22:59
I tried the X-10 in my sim but eventually gave up.  I have a 2 m radius screen. I found that the X-10 produced an image that was about 40% smaller than the Optima 1080, and in order to just cover my previous screen I would have had to move my projectors back about 15cm each - so not much really but it was enough to cause all the projectors to scrunch into each other and probably cause overheating problems in the future as each would be inducting the neighbour's exhaust. Also moving back potentially caused blanking by parts of the sim shell.
There's a very useful App called ProjectorPro which gives a very good idea of what any Projector will produce.
I also have Designer Pro but haven't used it in years - maybe I should dig it out.
The X-10 looked great too - and it's brighter than the Optoma - although not much, in my view - there are brighter units out there..
Peter.

Interesting ... still undecided if I should get these or the Samsung 82" QLED 4K TVs.

GodAtum

Now that LG has released the CX OLED, I might yet 3 of those rather than 3 Viewsonics, as I'm not sure how good projectors are at HDR, and the new MSFS looks amazing in HDR?